Old Pics Of Temagami Lakers In Spring

cisco

Used to go up a little after the May 24 weekend and would usually get limits within a few hours using lake trolls and canoe spoons. This day a pal and I just had lunch on shore and took the pic of 5. Checked my line that I set out during lunch and number 6 was on it! :thumbsup_anim: Then we took to chasing the big pike that are up there also.

Great place to fish! Although the skyline tree reserve hides lotsa the logging from view, the area still is beautiful and has some monster lakers, pike and walleye in it.

115241.jpg

GCD those were all about the same year class we get in the shallows in Spring. A Metis pal up there has 40lber on the wall from a native net. Natives roll the huge ones out and release em since they only want the tasty smaller ones. Each winter during icefishing a few folks will have their 30lb lines break from lakers that don't come off bottom.

Edited by cisco

Nice pic, cisco.

Would you recommend end of May for big pike & walleye in the area?

I posted another thread about wanting to try a lodge in the Temagami area. Got some good suggestions, which I'll follow up on after the holidays.

Besides the lodge & lake(s), the other decision we have to make is when to go.

We usually go on our week-long trip in June, but can be flexible.

Your recommendation would be appreciated...

Thanks, Mike

Edited by setomonkey

As for when it's best to go, my Metis bud had a contact up there who he'd call to find out if they were in shallow yet. From my several-years of experience as to when we went up, it was usually the week after the May 24 wknd or the one following that.

That's a nice huge laker pic Wayne! Check out Loon Lodge. Lotsa the old-school cheapskate trout chasers I knew go there and the management seems to know about when the best fishing is. I think they also rent icehuts and such. It's also in close proximity to some great fishing spots.

Oh and Happy New Year to everyone!

Edited by cisco

LOL! Not a lodge. A rich US family my bud's grandad worked/guided for years ago.

Oh, and Joey, you're probably right about what my pal Swampdawger would say about my legs! But ain't you the "pot" sittin in the cooler "callin the kettle" standin on the dock "black?!" LOL!

LOL! Not a lodge. A rich US family my bud's grandad worked/guided for years ago.

That narrows it down to at least 1000 islands Chris ! LOL :dunno:

Describes a good part of them...with numerous being the children/grand children/great grandchildren of executives from the Ohio based tire giant that put their first "executive training camp" (read fishing retreat!) on the lake in 1905/1906 when the train first made it to Temagami.

Edited by irishfield

Thanks for the insight re who owns stuff there Wayne. Had no idea about that. But I'd also rather not say exactly where the dock was since I obviously fished close by and reported a laker getting caught there while we were eating lunch.

Business is doing better than expected so maybe this Spring I can get back up there and take you fishing. :Gonefishing: