Painting a trailer

evster

I have an old boat trailer that I want to make use of this year. It needs a new paint job though. What product do people suggest? I was planning on just using tremclad but I thought I would see what people use. I believe it is just plan steel and currently has a thin layer of rust, no flaking though.

Any suggestions? I want to take advantage of the sunny day we're supposed to get this saturday.

Thanks!

I painted my trailer with biege Tremclad a couple years ago and it turned out very nice.

I sanded it down then masked everything off and used a smooth roller on the large areas and a matching spray bomb for the hard to reach places. Very easy to do and the results are great and the entire job is about $30 and an afternoon's work.

Cnv0909.jpg

Wire brush on the loose stuff and Tremclad the rest.

Just getting ready to do mine and Tremclad is both tough and good to use on wood or metal.

Perfectionists might say get rid of all the rust before painting, I say Tremclad it and let the next owner repaint it after you're long gone :thumbsup_anim:

Hookset.

No investment, this is definitely a budget job B). Its just for a little tinny and won't be used for long trips. If it starts rusting again, no biggy, i'll just add some more paint.

Thanks for the reassurance that Tremclad will to the trick.

Any idea what retailers carry the stuff? I checked Canadian Tire last night and all they had in the gallon pails was red and yellow and they also didn't even have black spray cans.

-rent a small blaster

-wipe everything down with acetone to remove any dust/grease

-primer

-2 coats of finish

paint job will last forever :thumbsup_anim:

i wonder how much it would cost to get rhino liner or something sprayed on the trailer? youd never have to worry about it again...

Any idea what retailers carry the stuff? I checked Canadian Tire last night and all they had in the gallon pails was red and yellow and they also didn't even have black spray cans.

Should be able to pick it up at any Home Hardware or Home Depot. I need to do this sometime during the summer too :) .