Need good spinning reel for Pike fishing

I am heading up to Angler's Kingdom at the end of May to do some Pike fishing and i need a good spinning reel that will handle large Pike. I know bait casters are the choice of most serious Pike and Musky fisherman but i just cannot get the hang of using one,i picked up and Abu Garcia C5 mag bait caster and have been tirelessly practicing with it to no avail,i either end up with a birds nest or my cast goes about 3 feet in the wrong direction. I am very good with a spinning setup as i have been using one for 20 years now but i am just worried about not being able to fight the big ones with it. So does anyone have any recommendations for a good beefy spinning reel that will hold up to some large Pike action? I would like to stay under 100$ US for a price range because i now have to buy a heavy action spinning rod to go with the new reel.

Edited by kinbud

I am not sure if they still have some....

But I know All-americanoutdoors.com had the Shimano Stradic FH on for 95.00 they were blowing them out... the FI's are 129.00

They seem to have the best price I have seen... about 60.00 less then the competition

Hard to Beat the Stradic.

G

Edited by Gerritt

Dano.. you wanna field this one? :D

Gerritt's got you covered or any other larger capacity spinning reel with some GOOD line on it. Good drag system is key..strong yet smooth to start. For the cost of the trip I wouldn't be to skimpy on equipment.

Actually it's not talked about much, but there's plenty of instances where spinning gear is preferred for pike.

One of my go to techniques is to use salmon flutter spoons. They come in a wicked array of hot colours, perfect for pike. Take off the stock hook and replace it with an oversized heavy duty siwash.

These light spoons are perfectly suited to fishing shallow weeds. The spoon can be worked slowly on top and fluttered slowly down into pockets. You can't do that with a standard spoon.

You also can't cast these lures with baitcasting gear (at least not easily).

To answer your question, pretty much any 4000 series Shimano will work beautifully :) .

Thanks so much for the info guys, i feel like an idiot not being able to get this bait casting thing down,it is good to hear that spinning reels are still used with success for Pike by some here. I have caught plenty of Pike in the 25-30" range with a medium heavy rod and spinning reel set up but i was just not sure that i could step up to the big boys(35"+) and still be able to handle the fish with a spinning reel. So it looks like i will go with either a Shimano 4000 series or the Daiwa 3000 along with some 50 pound Power Pro on a 7' heavy action rod,does this sound like it will work out for me?

i've seen lots of big northerns on spinning gear. Long casts can really make a differance, and most people can launch lures with spinning gear farther then with baitcasters. Not to mention you spend more time fishing since you arnt picking at birdnests all the time lolol.

The Stradic is a nice reel, but if you want something a little cheaper i'd check out the Sahara. I think i'm going to get one here very soon.

-R-

We fish Quantum Energy PTi. Love them for a good mid priced reel (between 150 and 200 depending where you shop, Gerrit can probably help you find it for $4.00 Shipping included) - You would want the energy PTi 40 - don't get Quantums cheaper crap.

More importantly then the brand, you need a good strong drag that is smooth and has a true anti reverse.

There are going to be a lot o opinions on brands, but everyone will tell you the same, don't buy a reel cause it is a "good deal", buy one because it is good quality.

I think Shimano feels clunky compared to the smooth Daiwa I spoke of. I gave my Shimano crap away years ago! :whistling:

BLASPHEMY!!!!... why I oughtta....

Nyuck Nyuck Nyuck!!!

I threw my Diawa crap in the garbage, couldn't have lived with myself if someone got hurt using it!

Stradic 5000, you'll pay a little more but it worth it!

Thanks so much for the info guys, i feel like an idiot not being able to get this bait casting thing down,it is good to hear that spinning reels are still used with success for Pike by some here. I have caught plenty of Pike in the 25-30" range with a medium heavy rod and spinning reel set up but i was just not sure that i could step up to the big boys(35"+) and still be able to handle the fish with a spinning reel. So it looks like i will go with either a Shimano 4000 series or the Daiwa 3000 along with some 50 pound Power Pro on a 7' heavy action rod,does this sound like it will work out for me?

If you are looking at purchasing from the link I provided... they also sell PowerPro for 10.00 a spool!! that is a good price!

and you cannot go wrong with the Stradic :)

G

Stradic is great, I've got one (2500 size) as well as a couple Sahara's (1500-for jigging and 2500) and a Quantum Energy PTi 30 which should be good for any pike I run into. Just make sure you buy a good reel, don't skimp out because you don't want to have a cheap reel fail out in the stix. Paired with a 6'6" or 7ft rod in Medium Heavy power fast action, you'll be good to go.

It looks like that site is out of the cheaper Stradic models and only has the Stradic F1 which in a 4000 series would cost me 149.00(still much cheaper than any other site) but will probably be out of my budget range because of the wasted 140 spent on the bait casting setup(if anyone is interested i will give a phenomenal deal on this never used set up). I guess i will have to take my chances with the Daiwa 3000 which at 79.95 leaves me enough to drop 50 or 60 bucks on a solid rod even though some here seem to have a strong dislike for the Daiwa brand for some reason? While i am at it does anyone have any sites they can recommend for cheap pike lures and heavy test titanium leaders?

Kinbud, check out the new Shimano Symetre 4000. It is last years Stradic and in my opinion, smoother than this years Stradic which received an "upgrade" in the gear system. The Symetre will run around $100. I looked at both last weekend (2500 Series) and I would have bought a Symetre had they had a 4000 in stock.

-Brian

The Stradic I had was crap.

Bail kept closing and the bearings went in less than 4 months.

The Diawa Exeler(?) I had lasted longer until the anti-reverse failed.

For less then half the price I would go Diawa.

My crappy Abu Cardinal has outlasted all my "expensive" reels. It was purchased on sale $24.

It's how you use it.