Ultralight rod

livinisfishin

Hey Guys,

Im looking at buying an Ultra light rod, and im not sure what brand to get and how much i should spend on one. I wouldnt be using it 24/7 and i wouldnt mind putting 50-70 dollars on one. Crappie,rockbass,perch,sunfish are the species i would be going after with this rod. If you need to know anything else in order to help me choose one ask and ill try and give you an answer.

Thanks

Jason

I have a shimano sedona 750 reel paired with a berkley ultra light lightning rod which was $37.99, used it for crappie, perch and bluegill last week and it was a great rod! I have even hooked some 3 lb smallies on this combo and with a bit of skillful fighting was able to land all of them! Definately do not get a fiberglass rod as there is not enough backbone to get a hook set with lots of line out. I definately would not recommend spending too much since you are not going to be using it too much and it is only panfish so no need to spend more than $50 for the rod I beleive, unless of course you are a proffessional rock bass fisherman!

Since I fish with my light rod a lot( 6ft St. Croix Avid rated 4 - 8lb test ), I didn't mind spending more for it. Can't remember but I know with was a over $100 a few years ago.

The thing is, if you plan on using it a lot, the extra you spend to gain sensitivety is worth it for me. But it does depend on what you have to spend so good luck in your search.

I've got a 5'6" Berkley Cherrywood U/L with a small shimano reel... i've had it for probably 5 or 6 years. i use either 4lb or 6Lb mono on it depending on what i'm fishing for. over the years i have landed several smallies over 4 lbs, and a couple over 6lbs. one of the 6's was on 4lb test... that battle must have been close to 20 minutes... SOOO much fun!

by no means would i "recommend" the cherrywood, because my dad had one and it broke quite easily, and i've heard others with the same complaint... that being said, i have not had that problem yet, and neither has my brother.

i'll probably upgrade after this year. i live for U/L fishing... I LOVE it!

there are lots of quality rods that are affordable out there. good luck with your purchase!

I have top of the line St Croix and G Loomis one piece ultra lite rods, they are very pricey, but I also have an Avid one piece ultra lite that I just gave to my son , reasonably priced , it is very light with a nice feel. What ever your choice,I would definitely go with a one piece.

maybe try walmart, was in there friday, berkley lightning rod reg. 49.98 for $5.00, berkley cherrywood reg. 29.98 for a dollar. this was in milton

went back later, could not find where she put them, maybe ask a sporting goods.

Edited by tedley

I've got a Fenwick HMX and Shimano Convergence ultralight rods and love them both. CTC had a clearance sale recently including Bob Izumi Signature Series ultralight for $39 (1/2 regular price). Appear to be a decent rod at a fair price if you can find one.

Fenwick Eagle GT

EGTS56UL-2 Spinning 2 5’6” 1 – 6 Ultra Light 5

EGTS60L-2 Spinning 2 6’0” 2 – 8 Light 5

Both under $50 at LeBaron. I have the 5'6" rod, paired with a Shimano Sedona 750 and 4lb test it is great for stream trout and bass, panfish.

Burt :)