NF Lowering the flag above the Peace tower.

holdfast

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/04/02/...on.html?ref=rss

Seems this slipped by most people but to us few that are inspired by our flag I was just wondering what your view is. Seems most Canadians approve of what has just passed as a motion by our beloved liberals NDP and the BLOCK

http://www.canadianheritage.gc.ca/progs/cp.../occasion_e.cfm

As of Now, our National flag(above the Peace tower) will be at half Mast for the following days and reasons. Death of Governor General and Prime minister, Sovereign Family, Former Governor General, Chief Justice and members of the Canadian Ministry, Lt Governors, Privy Councilor and Senators, Members of the house of Commons

Special Days

Workers Mourning Day

Police and Peace officer National Day

National Day of Remembrance and action on violence against women (THATS NOT A JOKE)

Vimy Ridge Day

Soldiers killed in Afghanistan and Peace Keeping Missions

I'm sure I missed others.

Nov 11

I as a former Soldier believes in what the special panel had to say. Scrap all the Special Days and half mast only for Nov 11. I think most soldiers would prefer that to every time a soldier Dies. Its fair for all soldiers that give their lives even in Training. Once is enough. What is your take.

Edited by holdfast

Mine down at our gate comes down to 1/2 for every soldier and goes back up when their families have taken care of them. I have the utmost respect for every one of them and even have a flag set aside for the day my brother (Ret-Major Herc Squadron Leader) meets his maker... as I'm sure I can't count on our Goverment to supply one. As for the others.. GG/PM/etc can't be bothered...they don't deserve anymore than the common citizen.

Edited by irishfield

Seems this slipped by most people but to us few that are inspired by our flag I was just wondering what your view is. Seems most Canadians approve of what has just passed as a motion by our beloved liberals NDP and the BLOCK

http://www.canadianheritage.gc.ca/progs/cp...ing/index_e.cfm

As of Now, our National flag(above the Peace tower) will be at half Mast for the following days and reasons. Death of Governor General and Prime minister, Sovereign Family, Former Governor General, Chief Justice and members of the Canadian Ministry, Lt Governors, Privy Councilor and Senators, Members of the house of Commons

Special Days

Workers Mourning Day

Police and Peace officer National Day

National Day of Remembrance and action on violence against women (THATS NOT A JOKE)

Vimy Ridge Day

Soldiers killed in Afghanistan and Peace Keeping Missions

I'm sure I missed others.

Nov 11

I as a former Soldier believes in what the special panel had to say. Scrap all the Special Days and half mast only for Nov 11. I think most soldiers would prefer that to every time a soldier Dies. Its fair for all soldiers that give their lives even in Training. Once is enough. What is your take.

It's a tough call. The problem being that someone has to decide who's life is important enough to warrant lowering the flag. Personally I don't believe one life is more important than the next (except my own of course) so I don't believe the flag should be lowered for anyone except for the Monarch, and then only because tradition dictates it. I could argue that even then it should be left aloft in celebration of the new Monarch. I say leave it flying all the time. That way no one is offended.

JF

It's my understanding that the military has requested that the flag only be lowered on November 11th to honour all soldiers killed in combat and not be lowered for the death of individual soldiers. I think that we should honour their wishes on this matter.

I also don not believe that senators and MP's warrant lowering the flag. I would lower it for the Prime Minister or Governor General though.

The sad political reality is that: the "Left" wants the flag lowered each and every time an individual soldier dies to emphasize the "death" of Canadians in an unpopular war. It's a way to garner votes away from the Conservatives by showcasing each and every death...

"Look! The flag is down again! Another Canadian soldier died! we need to stop this! Damn Conservatives!"

It's a purely political maneuver, the politicians on the "Left" frankly don't give a damn about the individual soldier.

The same holds true for the "Right", just vice versa... They want Canadian Soldier deaths swept under the rug. Out of sight, out of mind. Please re-elect. They also don't give a damn about the individual soldier. I'm just saying.

It's my understanding that the military has requested that the flag only be lowered on November 11th to honour all soldiers killed in combat and not be lowered for the death of individual soldiers. I think that we should honour their wishes on this matter.

I also don not believe that senators and MP's warrant lowering the flag. I would lower it for the Prime Minister or Governor General though.

Of course the military doesn't want the flag lowered each and every time a Canadian soldier dies! That wouldn't be very good recruiting PR. "Look, the flag is down for the 10th time this month." :huh: "Come join us and get killed?" :angel:

When you overdo something, I think you diminish it's importance and I feel that's what would happen if the flag was lowered for every soldier that falls.

November 11th has been the National day of mourning & remembrance for many many years and I see no reason to change that tradition. That day has always stood as the day Canada honours ALL the soldiers, sailors and airmen who have given the ultimate in all the wars & peace keeping missions we've been involved in.

Individual towns have always lowered a flag when one of their own is killed, but on a National level and for Canada as a whole, I think lowering the flag over the Capital Building should be kept for November 11, which is recognized as the one day a year when the entire county ..... hopefully ...... comes together at ceremonies across the continent to honour our heros.

November 11th is a special day for our Military and is set aside for them and them alone, and lowering the flag for our deceased soldiers on that particular day is an honor and the ultimate sign of respect, and I personally feel it means much more to reserve that honour for only one day per year.

If we overdo it, we'll diminish the importance.......but that's only my feelings.

........As for lowering the flag for a polititian, my feelings are the same as Waynes.

Myself as an ex member of the mob and with a very long tradition of members in my family that served I believe it should only be on Nov 11 my personal pole at home I lower it for every soldier that passes for a day

Just my 2 cents

Of course the military doesn't want the flag lowered each and every time a Canadian soldier dies! That wouldn't be very good recruiting PR. "Look, the flag is down for the 10th time this month." :huh: "Come join us and get killed?" :angel:

I really dont think that is the reason. Maybe the Legion has a point.

Edited by holdfast

When you overdo something, I think you diminish it's importance and I feel that's what would happen if the flag was lowered for every soldier that falls.

November 11th has been the National day of mourning & remembrance for many many years and I see no reason to change that tradition. That day has always stood as the day Canada honours ALL the soldiers, sailors and airmen who have given the ultimate in all the wars & peace keeping missions we've been involved in.

Individual towns have always lowered a flag when one of their own is killed, but on a National level and for Canada as a whole, I think lowering the flag over the Capital Building should be kept for November 11, which is recognized as the one day a year when the entire county ..... hopefully ...... comes together at ceremonies across the continent to honour our heros.

November 11th is a special day for our Military and is set aside for them and them alone, and lowering the flag for our deceased soldiers on that particular day is an honor and the ultimate sign of respect, and I personally feel it means much more to reserve that honour for only one day per year.

If we overdo it, we'll diminish the importance.......but that's only my feelings.

........As for lowering the flag for a polititian, my feelings are the same as Waynes.

Lew well said. Believe it or not every serving soldier would agree with you. They will tell you that a training accident in Wainwright should not be different than a Death in Afghanistan. Im sure that when the Conservatives wanted to change it back to the way it used to be, their special panel was probably made up of at least one legion member, maybe a high ranking soldier, and possibly a couple of non Politicians that didnt give a hoot about votes. Maybe some clear thinkers. Its bad enough that it goes to half mast for politions that I couldnt even name, and a waste of rations. But those special Days? did you see what they are. Lets Half Mast that flag everyday for something.

OK. That's what I meant to say. And I'm embarrassed that I forgot Nov 11.

JF

My flag flies tall and proud 365 days a year in honor of every Canadian service person! The only exception is on Nov. 11 when it is lowered to 1/2 mast to show respect for those who have given their lives so that Canada can be the country it is today; oh, and when it needs to be replaced. I can assure you it won't be getting lowered for any politician or individual.

My flag flies tall and proud 365 days a year in honor of every Canadian service person!

I can assure you it won't be getting lowered for any politician or individual.

Since we just moved I'm waiting til the ground is soft enough to allow us to put up our new flag pole.

I think I'll use the portions of the above quote as our guidelines too. Plus Nov. 11 as stated by all.

I would lower it for the PM and GG though. If they died with boots on, and gun in hand, defending our Country and our beliefs.

Just curious, but has anyone seen a flag that can be purchased which shows support for all our troops

in one neat flag ? Something that can be flown below the Canadian flag to show support ? I realize that the Canadian Flag covers all, but a show of additional support can't be a bad thing. Excuse my ignorance if there is something that I should have already known about. Thanks,

Hookset.

My Dad served 5 years in the Navy during the war and when he died, I bought a White Ensign (Navy flag) and draped it over his coffin.

I then took the flag to my trailer and flew it from my flag pole for several years till it began to fade, then removed it and keep it here at the house now.

My Dad was very proud of his war service (deservedly) and I know for a fact that would have made him very happy.

Also as a former soldier myself I agree with you on this.

I feel it is important to pay respect when a fallen comrade returns. I am moved by the support at CFB Trenton outside the fence and along the renamed HWY 401 Highway of Heroes.

I am entitled to a "veteran" Ontario Licence plate. However like most former CF members you will never see one on my vehicle. I dont feel deserving of it along with most others I served with regardless of our service in Peacekeeping or wartime do not see ourselves as heroes.