Plumbing Question NF

Headhunter

Hi guys and sorry for the NF post/question!

We have just completed a re-decorating of one of our bath rooms. The Warden bought new taps for the sink, however I am very confused as to how to remove the existing taps. I have no concerns about replacing them, I have some abilities, however, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the old taps off!

They are three separate entities, meaning the hot, cold and tap itself are not one piece, but separate from each other.

I looked under the sink and found that there is a screw that appears to be holding the taps in place from above, but I can't figure out how to get to the screw head, from the top. I can remove part of the tap handle, but I don't see anything inside the handle or on the taps, such as a allen head or such!

I'm afraid if I give it too much persuasion I just might break the sink!

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

HH

Edited by Headhunter

What is the make of the faucets? Sounds like you have a 8" widespread style, but need make.Some unscrew from the top and drop down, others have nuts at the base underneath.Are they on a pedestal or vanity basin? Can you easily remove the basin , that way you can get at the faucets much easier. You will find most widespreads tighten on from above. You must take the trim(escutions ) off each side. They turn or pull off from above, then you will see the nut which is tightened down to the top of the bowl. Other types have an allen wrench hole down inside , you will see it once the cartridges are pulled out. There are other types, so a picture will help.

Edited by LundGuy

Take a case of Steamwhistle and a 5 lb sledge Will... and you guys will be fine !

Joe said he was good with a crowbar as well, I think we've got it covered. I'll bring the reciprocating saw for cutting the pipes and whatever else might get in the way. :D

Thanks all! Will, if you can and you want to, please feel free to drop by! Heck, there might be a dinner in it for yah! I have a crow bar , a sledge and a sawsall and am fully qualified with all!

Yes it is a pedestal sink.

I've tried turning the casings around the cartriges, but they don't seem to move very much and my concern being my frustration may end up getting the better of me and I will be buying a new sink and pedestal!

Thanks,

HH

Thanks all! Will, if you can and you want to, please feel free to drop by! Heck, there might be a dinner in it for yah! I have a crow bar , a sledge and a sawsall and am fully qualified with all!

Yes it is a pedestal sink.

I've tried turning the casings around the cartriges, but they don't seem to move very much and my concern being my frustration may end up getting the better of me and I will be buying a new sink and pedestal!

Thanks,

HH

Better to disconnect the basin from the wall, just two bolts screwing it to the wall and then you can lift off the basin from the pedestal. It is easier to remove and reinstall your faucets this way, especially if they are 8" widespreads.

I agree it would be easier, but as I am not changing the drain system, just the taps, I'm hesitant to remove the whole sink.

I do have access to the under side of the sink, there is just nothing there to un-screw! I beleive you are all correct in that it must be untethered from the top, but I can't get anything apart from the top, to find the screw head!

Thanks for all your help and if possible, keep 'em comin!

HH

What you may need to get is a basin wrench, the head on it tilts to a 90 degree angle. Made specifically working on basins. You mentioned there are screws holding them in place, the basin wrench should get to it.

Have you tried unscrewing the handles? Or popping them off, i know some Delta, Price Pfister and Kohler have this assembly to install/uninstall

once the handles are popped off a mysterious escutcheon plate appears that didnt look like it was there.

Edited by MuskyMike

When I am stumped and the valves are going to be scrapped......I take out my sawzall and cut the darn things off at the top of the sink. Be careful you don't damage the sink.

Probably a retaining nut at the base of the valve, use a basin wrench to undo it. OH do NOT forget to turn off your water supply!!!!!

To disconnect the basin from the pedestal you only have to disconnect the trap, if it is chrome it has two nuts, you only need to turn the one on the crown of the trap, if the trap is ABS (which it shouldn't be if done properly) you just have to undo the nut which is on the trap adapter which tightens on the chrome PO. Taking the basin off takes only seconds and makes it 10 times easier, doesn't matter if its just the faucets or not, its still much easier in the long run. Now you can get at the faucets without laying on your back and its easier to install the new ones. A basin wrench only helps if the nuts are on the underneath side of the basin, most 8" spreads are done from the top, there fore a basin wrench won't work. Now if they are a very old style of 8" faucets they will have nuts underneath, but I think you said there was none there. With 40 years in the trade it is simple for me, but honestly its not that hard to remove any pedestal, even for the most novice. You have the water already disconnected, just one more nut and you are there.Then if you still can't get the faucets off, run the bowl down to your local plumbing store and have them do it for you......

Or hire a plumber! :wallbash:

Wow, thanks for all the responses guys!

I do have the same wrench Cliff, thanks, but the taps are not secured by couplings around the cylinders, the first place I looked!

LundGuy, I really appreciate you taking the time to write all that out! I will probably do as suggested and remove the whole sink, once I learn how to approach these taps!

Should have some pics up soon... and also very hearty thanks to all who PM'd me!

Stay tuned!

HH

PS... Cory, that was funny!

Thanks to FnS for posting these, I really appreciate it Will!

Cliff, I really like them too! But The Warden has changed the "motif" of the room and has decided that a brushed chrome look goes better with the new light fixture I installed as well as the other bathroom stuff like paper holder, towel holder etc...

Cliff, even if I cut the cylinders, the plate pictured above them in the underneath shot will continue to hold the taps in place!

I just may start to look around the house for my 5lb sledge! LOL

HH

Hmm I have similar taps and I think you can undo them from the top. Try to unscrew/loosen the the part of the tap that sits on top of the basin. Mine have come loose and I have needed to tighten them down once in awhile. I think they have a counter thread.

Also they look like Moen call there service desk. I have used them before and they have been good.

Nemo