recreational boaters card

grt1

The other day my fishing buddy in Calgary called and asked me how to get a replacement for the recreational boaters card he had inadvertantly put through the washing machine and destroyed.

I went on the web and of course the first thing the site I went to suggested that he contact the company that did the testing for him to get a replacement.

He told me he had tried this but it seems the company no longer exists.

So I went to the marine enforcement site for transport canada, since this is a national program the feds are responsible for it. I asked them the method to replace the card and they told me the same thing. contact the firm who did the testing.

I also asked if the person who lost the card could go to a central registry site and get his registration number, that is on the card to prove that he did in fact take the test and passed the test. Surely, since it is an enforceable offence, the authorities must be able to go somewhere and verify the individual has the licence.

Transport Canada informed me there is NO central registry of the cards. This tells me that the enforcing agencies have absolutely no way of verifiying who does or doesn't have a card and is unenforceable.

What a joke, pass a law, make it mandatory to have the card then ignore the process to prove you have complied.

wow, after reading this I checked the site that I got my so called boating "licence" since we all know that reading means you can drive a boat right?? I got it at theboatcard.ca and don't bother going there because the site no longer exists. I guess I will be keeping a close watch on my card but if you ask me this is just another way the government has its hand in our pockets. What's next, they vote themselves raises...wait a minute they already did!

I lost mine last year and went through the same process. I couldn't remember who I got the card from, so I ended up sending an e-mail blast to every authorized dealer on the ministry's site. Once a figured out who it was, I had to send them $15 for a replacement. About 6 weeks later I received my card, and sure enough, the card I lost miraculously reappeared.

Anyways, yes it is Bull that the government wouldn't have a database.

Good luck!

I took that 407 one time and it cost me almost as a plane ticket. What a joke that is. And I always thought the NY State Thruway was expensive. Hell, I could drive from one end the the Thruway to the other (almost 400 miles) stop and and eat and it still wouldn't even come close to the 407 highway

Anyways, yes it is Bull that the government wouldn't have a database.

Good luck!

Pg. 15 of Canada Shipping Act, 2001 TP 13813 (10/2007)

Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations

>> In 2008, further amendments to the Regulations will be introduced. These will include:

* a new accreditation framework for course providers based on a quality management system;

* a national database system on card holders;

Now what remains to be seen is if the govt. follows up on this???

Well I never understood the useless point of obtaining this licence.

One I actually signed up and took a course and yes I did learn something alot more about boaters safety.

What gets be it is so easy to obtain this license.

Just go online pay your money write the test and your on line right so if you don't have the answer

to the question just check your Boaters reference book that you were suppossed to study.

Yup cheating is OK because no one will know.

What is the point is this easy and accesible licence really going to turn thousands of Canadians into safer boaters

no I don' think so :wallbash:

Nothing will change the big cruiser boats will swamp the small craft and Kayakers cause they didn't really learn from there

little cheap internet test that it is illegal to whiz by little craft sending 6 foot waves there way.

Imagine all that money and your number is not stored in a file or computer somewhere.

Only in Canada EH :wallbash:

:dunno:

I lost my card last year. I have searched EVERYWHERE for it. I took the test through ASM or something like that. I spoke to the guys at the Fishing Show and they gave me a number to call. Apparently out of the 350 companies that originally started in the testing there are only about 40 or 50 left. Turns out that FNCC or BoaterExam.com bought them out and a whole bunch of different companies. I called them and I was on record from about 5 years ago. $22 to replace, took 5 days to receive the new card. I know I will find my old card now.

Ours are printed on our drivers license... and have I mentioned my lifetime fishing license lately??? cool.gif

...you must have forgotten that everything north of the 49th parallel is backwoods country, you know that backwards place called Canucksville. Our government can't think that logically, guess their suffering from a case of beaver fever.

Just last week I said copy your cards because there is no registry. These cards are not a license and have nothing to do with the gov. The test was supposed to be offered to experienced boaters only, everybody else was to take a course. The idea was to get people into courses, instead they simply purchased the card of the net or took a 2hr course that tought the test. The CPS gives an 8 hrs instruction and 50 question test and a registered card that is good for Ca. and US. way more than what most offer for more money but when they find out its only 2hr for some mickey mouse outfit teaching the test thats where they go.

Its obvious that the integrity of the card has corroded to the point where it should be trashed.

Pg. 15 of Canada Shipping Act, 2001 TP 13813 (10/2007)

Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations

>> In 2008, further amendments to the Regulations will be introduced. These will include:

* a new accreditation framework for course providers based on a quality management system;

* a national database system on card holders;

Now what remains to be seen is if the govt. follows up on this???

From what I heard, these further amendments are going to require you to renew your licence like a drivers licence. But the good news is that if you already have one without an exp. date then you will be grandfathered in and won't have to renew. So if you don't already have one I would suggest you go get one before these new rules kick in and if you do already have one you might want to go get another just in case haha. I never thought I was going to be a grandfather before the age of 25, is that even possible???

Edited by Maverick

No, Billy Bob, non-residents are exempt.

Yes & No. They are only exempt if operating their pleasure craft 45 consecutive days or less. If the pleasure craft isn't their's they fall under the same rules as residents. After 45 consecutive days (their own pleasure craft) they require a Operators card or equivalent issued by their state or country.

Ref: Safe Boating Guide, TP 511E (01/2008) Pg. 11 bottom right corner.

From what I heard, these further amendments are going to require you to renew your licence like a drivers licence. But the good news is that if you already have one without an exp. date then you will be grandfathered in and won't have to renew.

No mention of this in the currently issued summary of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001 TP 13813 (10/2007)