10.5 pound Seaguar fluoro leaders

lew

I use 13o pound Seaguar fluoro leaders on my musky rods and it's an excellent product and I have no complaints with it, and now I'm looking at the 10.5 pound Seaguar for leaders on my pickeral set-ups but have never heard anything about the lighter strength line and wondered if anyone has tried it and what you thought of it ??

Edited by lew

You mean you actually target pickerel, I thought you only caught them on musky baits while musky fishing ;)

I've used 80lb Seagar and is great, I'm guessing al their fluro is great

Edited by mepps

I've been using 8 lb Seaguar leaders for smallies in relatively uncluttered water, and 15 lb in heavy cover. They've both worked great so far; I haven't had any bite-offs from the occasional pike either, and so I imagine they would work fine for walleye as well.

Yeah I know what your saying Jamie and you could very well be right.

I've been using 10 lb mono for leaders for years and it was never really too much of an issue.........well except for the pike that walked away with a brand new Dr. Death a couple years back that had been in the water a grand total of 5 minutes.

Fastest $12 I ever spent :oops:

Hey lew,,,10 lb floro is fine if thats what you are comfortable with but for me seems a bit overkill,,,i use 6lb myself for leader material and 25lb for harnesses,,,i've brought in some pretty big fish on 6lb line!

Walleye? Bait? LOL Lew! The Pickeral gods will hate you! See number 10 on the link

http://www.stormlures.com/products/luresPo...name=soft_lures

Cone shaped teeth or not I have been bitten off a bit fishing for bass and getting walleye, I start using a short steel leader and no more bite offs.

Bite off by walleye?

I'd say you had a nick in your line.

I've been fishing walleye with 4 lbs test and leeches for years.. never been bit off once.

Lew that 10.5 pound Seaguar should be more than enough for eyes if you not bouncing rocks or anything like that.

Edited by RangerGuy

RangerGuy, I thought that too at first, the areas I fished for smallies on Lake Erie had a lot of rock, then a lot of zebra mussels. I checked my line for nicks all the time though, just couldn`t find nicks or cuts to be the reason and it only seemed to happen when using short baits like a jig, a 3 or 4 inch steel leader solved the problem. We could tell when we got into feeding walleye because we would start losing jigs.

I don`t know why but a lot of the worm harnesses I used to see being sold here were made out of steel leader material. I use heavier line than some of my friends 10# is usually a minimum for me even in open waters of lake erie, we all have had issues with it.

Just seemed like the walleyes because of their bigger mouths were getting the bait farther in than the smallies. Have the same problems in waters with pike and skis, not matter how quick you stick em it`s not quick enough to avoid teeth.

In waters that are bass only here I don`t lose fish often, not afraid to cut off and retie and went thru a lot of line in a season, just cheaper to reline than lose fish in tournaments because I got lazy.

Fished on Erie before Zebras became an issue, pike are an early spring thing in some areas, just to me pretty easy to tell a pike bite from a bass even though they run small here.

Thanks guys, I wasn't really concerned with the 10 pound fluoro being strong enough and as I said earlier, I've been using 10 # mono leaders for years with no issues other than the odd Quinte pike, I was more interested in whether anyone has had issues with the actual Seaguar in the smaller diameter.

The heavier test is excellent, but I've never used the small diameter Seaguar.

Some brands just don't seem to be nearly as strong as stated and seem to break sooner than expected. I was looking at the Berkley Vanish originally but heard alot of nasty things about that stuff.

I was just gonna go with a fluoro lead rather than mono for a change.

Lew,

I have been using the following product from Seaguar for steelhead last Fall and this Spring, http://seaguar.com/Products_IX.html

I do not have one negative thing to say about it. It has held up great when being bounced off rocks when drifting micro jigs. I am sure you would have positive results when using it for walleyes.

Tom

I had one of my ice fishing rods set up with a 20 LB seaguar leader, and had a about a 4 lb OOS smallie do the "run around the hole" thing while i was holding the line in my hand. The leader took all of nasty grindage... and there wasn't a scratch on the stuff. I was really impressed cause those spud bar holes have some sharp angles on them. That Fluoro is some good stuff.

-R-