Would you like to have your boat safety inspected?

Big Cliff

A good friend of mine is licenced to do the boat safety inspections and he would be willing to come down to Lindsay at some point this spring and has offered to do the full and proper Coast Guard boat safety inspections for I and any friends who would like them. There is no charge and if your boat passes you get the sticker and a copy of the inspection is filed with (I think he said Dept. of Transport) etc. If it doesn't pass then he would give you a list of what you do need to get a pass. It would be done by appointment only and you would have to bring your boat to my place by trailer or water and takes about 30-45 minutes.

Let me know if you are interested and we'll work things out from there.

That's the one! And you'd be welcome to spend the weekend here if you would like. I'm not sure of the date yet, we'll see how many people are interested. He lives in Godrich so he'll be coming down here for a weekend and do the inspections then, he needs to know how many people will be coming so he can make sure to have enough stuff with him.

Makes a lot of sense to me to get it done rather than being checked out on the water and getting charged if you don't comply! Thought it was real nice of him to offer to come all the way down here and do it for free!

Hey Cliff, I'd be interested for sure, I just hope it's while I'm on Holiday as I won't be off on weekends again for quite a while :P

Very nice of your friend to offer this, if I don't manage to get out there on the date he is down, please pass on my appreciation.

Maureen

"Sounds good to me Cliff. Let me know a date, and I'll come over. Shouldn't be hard to do my boat. I'd like to have the sticker."

Sinker

The only thing you need in your boat to get to Cliff's is a long push pole... :whistling:

Edited by Beans

Wrong one Eye tracker, thats non pleasure craft.

You want Pleasure Craft Courtesy Checks,

http://www.cps-ecp.ca/public.asp?WCE=A=Bod...224481|K=224481

You can get a courtesy check from your local power squadron. http://www.cps-ecp.ca

I took the coarse for doing them but by the time they got done jerking us around with 2 police checks

it had gotten into the summer and I was too busy with the farm to do them.

Eye tracker , I'm guessing that Cliff is talking about the pleasure Craft check, I couldn't know for sure.

Have they got after you for a commercial craft operators card yet, last I heard they were waiting for the RCMP to build some boats(don't ask) and get the cops to get them before everybody else.

Eye tracker , I'm guessing that Cliff is talking about the pleasure Craft check, I couldn't know for sure.

Have they got after you for a commercial craft operators card yet, last I heard they were waiting for the RCMP to build some boats(don't ask) and get the cops to get them before everybody else.

Not yet, but I am sure it will be coming after talking with the OPP marine unit. I see it all as a good thing and great safety for clients. The big rumor this year is providing clients with thermal protection in cool water situations.

-sheldon

so what does the inspection do for me.....gets me a sticker

what happens if it fails....am I then banned from using my boat, till it's up to his standards...

maybe I am missing something but from what I have read (not much) it seems to be for small commercial vessels

I am not trying to be a pain, I just want to have it all figured out in my head.......

No Terry if it doesn't pass, he will tell you what you need to do to comply (it's up to you to do it or not as you see fit) however if you were to get stopped out on the water and your boat didn't pass, you could be charged.

This inspection is for pleasure craft, fishing boats like you and I have and even if you do get the sticker now, it doesn't mean you couldn't get stopped out on the water but if you have all the proper safety gear and have complied then you have nothing to worry about. If you get the sticker now, then remove the safety gear and you get stopped, then you could still get charged.

For me, it's piece of mind, I like knowing that I have everything up to standard, little things like taking your fire extinguisher and turning it upside down and giving it a smack with a rubber mallett every once in a while to insure that if/when you do need it it will work properly are just some of the things that could help save a life.

It's one of those things, if you want to do it you do, if you don't want to..... your choice.

Gord said he would like to allow between 30-45 minutes per boat so that he would have time to do a proper inspection and answer any questions etc. Seems like a good investment of time to me.

BnB, no problem I will try to give everyone about two weeks notice and probably try to set it up for the third weekend in May so that those that want to can come and fish and get their boat inspected too all in one trip.

The idea was to be able to have your boat inspected under more leisure terms than on the water by a cop.

The inspection sort of goes like.... must have......should have... could have. You have to pass the must have to get the sticker.

If you can't get to Cliffs contact your local power squadron and they will set it up.

Anybody in Prince Edward County wants it done let me know and I'll set it up we have 2 guys that can do it and 2 that could re qualify to do them.