Confused between Heavy or Medium Heavy

marcers75

First wanted to say hi to all of you! Its great to know i Can come here and learn from your experiences.

Now for my question, I just bought a new XPS Pro Qualifier 7'0" Heavy casting rod for flipping and jigging. It was recommended by one of the sales reps at Bass Pro. I find it a bit heavy, and when I went back to Bass Pro another rep said that Med. Heavy rod would just do for flipping into heavy weeds on Rice Lake or Crowe Lake, as well it would be more sensitive then a heavy rod. I already have a Shimano Compre 6'6" Med. Heavy Cranking rod paired with a Citica 200D reel. I need another rod to pair with another bait casting reel that I have.

What i would using it for is to fish largemouth in the weeds as well to troll with it for walleye. What would be your opinion in choosing between a heavy and med. heavy rod?

Thanks

Marc

I also find the heavy ones just too still. The main difference is in the shaft, one has more back bone and actually weighs more. What I use is St Croix's Legend Elite casting . Specs below, this is also ok for some heavy Walleye trolling or Pike if desired.The line size for the heavy one in this class is 14 to 25lb. Also have St Croix's Legend Tournament casting rods. These are great rods and can be used for different types of fishing.

Model Elite EC70MF 7' /Med shaft /Fast tip /1 piece /10lb - 17lb /1/4 - 5/8 /4.1 oz

Model Tourn. LTBC70MHF 7' /MH /Fast /1 / 12 - 20 /3/8 - 1 /4.4 oz

Model Tourn. LTBC70MM 7' /M /Mod. /1 /8 - 14 /1/4 - 5/8 /3.0 oz

Edited by LundGuy

What i would using it for is to fish largemouth in the weeds as well to troll with it for walleye.

Every manufacture varies, so you really have to just feel them in the store to decide what you need. For Walleye you're better off with a medium or medium light rod. Also the heavier/stiffer the rod means you can use heavier lures and lighter rods = lighter lures, it's really all about matching the rod to the lures you'll be using.

You say you already have a Heavy and a Medium Heavy action so I would just get a nice Medium action rod for that last reel and you're good to go for all types of fishing. The medium will be better for Walleye or bass fishing when you're not in the weeds and you can use that Heavy action rod for Pike fishing and small musky baits as well.

Edited by GbayGiant

As I understand this you will be Flipping and Pitching jig and pig type baits.

If you are using 1/4 and 3/8 ounce jigs, then the Med. Heavy sounds fine.

On the other hand if you're tossing a 1/2 or 3/4 ounce jig with a huge trailer, you might want the heavy action rod.

Either rod will do double duty for some Walleye trolling.

Thanks everyone!

Stoty: The rods were on sale for $109.99 ($159.99 reg.). Was looking to get another compre but they were sold out on the 7' rods. I'll be on Rice Lake on opening day for walleye. Launching from Whispering Pines and be targeting the mouth of the Indian River. Have you fished that area before? Also what can you tell me about Crowe Lake, never fished there before?

garry2rs: Thanks for your input, the Shimano Compre don't come in a heavy action but they are rated for 1oz lures.

Model Length Power Action Line Rating (lb) Lure Rating (oz) Pieces

CPCC66MHB 6'6" Medium Heavy Medium Fast 10-20 3/8-1 1

I might go to one of the following Shimano Compres:

CPC70MHB 7'0" Medium Heavy Fast 10-20 3/8-1 1

CPCX70MHB 7'0" Medium Heavy Extra Fast 10-20 3/8-1 1

or go down to a medium heavy XPS Pro Qualifier, they have the same specs as a compre.

LundGuy: I've always been partial to shimano, how are the St. Croix rods?

The Shimano has a lifetime warrenty, BPS is a year...

I have three Woo Daves 60 million modulus BPS rods and I like them.

One reason is if you get them on sale they cost half of what you pay for a Compre

Hey there,

Rice Lake:

The indian river is a good choice for opening, because it will probably be less busy than the mouth of the Otonabee River.

Also, target deeper weedlines (8-15 ft) of water around pretty much any island.

Crowe Lake:

Fantastic for bass! The smallmouth get to good sizes and seem to be pretty aggressive. The Berkley PowerLeeches are a must have to get into some good smallmouth. Try to find ledges that are pretty close to the shoreline. Also, the docks are great on Crowe. Some of our best fish have come under docks, using the 3" power leeches.

Cheers,

*Stoty

I use St.Croix exclusively, I have heavy and Med. heavy, if you are flipping jigs or craws in really heavy stuff, then a heavy would be best, but it sounds like a med. heavy would suite yiour fishing better-good backbone for pitching plastic, yet soft enough to troll for walleye, -with a stiff rod you will lose more walleye because the trebles will tear, hope this helps

Garry2rs: If you can believe it, this XPS Pro qualifier is more expensive then a Compre, even at its sale price of $109.99. BPS is selling Compre's for $99.99. I've decided to go with another Compre, you can't beat Shimano's warranty. And thanks for that info for Crowe Lake.

Soty: Thanks to you too for giving me information, I'll post some pics if i don't get skunked. Never was good at catching walleye! :P

And thanks to you all who replied, just to let you know, all the other forums i posted this same question, no one has responded!

Edited by marcers75