gore tex rain suit

Handlebarz

Well I am looking at getting a Gore Tex rain suit this year I see that there are so many out there what makes one better then the other? I will be using it from spring to fall so I dont want anything that is to heavy lined that I will roast in the summer. I was looking at Caballas and Basspro any info on what you all have or like and why? I do think I want bib pants from what I have read they are a little more comfy.

Funny enough, we just researched and bought the ones from BPS. We both got the Pro-Qualifier pants. Paul went for the Bibs and I went for the regular ones.

On an intresting note, it was about $200 cheaper to order from the US, even with Shipping. If we get charged Duty and Taxes upon delivery, it will still be about $100 or more cheaper.

If you want to wait until we get them, I'll give you a full accounting of their quality.

Joey

I picked up a Gore-tex suit from BPS last year which included the jacket and pants, but I don't recall what we paid for it. Very lightweight, breathable, and did the job. The front of the jacket zippers and there is also a flap that you can snap to help cover up the zipper. I got mine a tad bigger than my normal size to allow for a more free movement while on the water. I only had the opportunity to use it a couple times, but was very pleased with it. I selected this one based on other's comments and that it was made of Gore-tex material. Folds up nicely and stores easily in our boat.

i bought a gore-tex jacket, unlined about 2-3 years ago from BPS. It was on sale $50. Best $50 i've ever spent. On cold days it fits over my cold weather coat and 2 sweaters lol. Definatly go with bib pants in my opinion. Im really hard on pants so i by the ruberised viking pants. BUT they have got to be bibs. There isn't a single guide at our lodge who wears the non-bib kind.

-R-

I'm not pushing one product over another. I'm just reporting that I've used Cabela's Guidewear (parka + bibs) for 4 years now and I am more than satisfied.

Have heard good things about cabelas brand Gore-Tex as well, from several people including guides.

I didnt spend the $$$ on gore-tex. I bought a viking rain suit from Marks Work Wearhouse. It cost me $60 and I have used it for over 6 years. its a traditional HEAVY DUTY rain suit. i wear it through out the year, with different layers to suit the season. it has been nothing but incredible for me. its a bit heavy, but it does the job and didnt cost me much at all

Mike

I just picked up a Helly Hansen Compac rain suit for my dad for his birthday. I have to admit we haven't been out in the rain with it yet but based on price, quality feel and fit I would say it beats anything BPS had for about a hundred less. Total was only 140ish with tax and I would have grabbed one at the same time if they had of had two the same size. (They got wacked during the no tax sale last weekend)It is supposed to be breathable like gore tex as well and is very light weight.

What the Corvette guy said. I looked at that purchase as an investment. I take my outdoor time very seriously, and only get out a dozen times a year, so my comfort in any weather is a big deal. Buy the best you can find or afford, and you will never regret being warm, dry, and comfy.

The first time you wear it in cold, rainy, windy weather, the sticker shock will just melt away.

I have had a few suits so far and the best ones for all weather for me are the Shimano Gortex Suits. One customer I know wears it on his bike when raing and he told me in a down pour going over 100km/hr and he still was dry. I have also remained warm and dry for hours wearing the Shimano Gortex Suit.

Bought BPS Gortex jacket and pants last year and are absolutely awesome.

Picked the pants up in the Clearance Cave at the BPS in Macon, Georgia (just off I-75). If you know anyone going that way, you can save a ton of money on them. Saw plenty on the racks the last two years when I stopped there. There's also a Clearance outlet at the Springfield, Missouri store.

Edited by BPSBASSMAN

I would think any quality Gore Tex suit would be good.

I have a Reima Gore Tex snow mobile suit I use for sledding, thing is absolutely amazing, I also have a BPS Goretex jacket, unlined. It is a little cool but put a sweater under it and your good to go. Wore it last November for a week steady, left the survival suit in the cottage.

Spend the cake, and you will be happy.

Bryan

I use frogg toggs rain suits. They have just about every type there is. You can buy the regular material they are famous for at BPS. The one in the pic is the Gore tex frogg togg fishing suit with bib. I bought 7 sets of these for my family directly from the plant in Tennessee . The cost was $57.00 for each full set on sale. The only place in Ontario where I could find these they were $200.00. They have a site on the net and have specials from time to time. They also sell on eBay. They have the pro style fisherman and cheaper ones, the one I have on is the top of the line fisherman made with gore tex. Very breathable and light.

i00069.jpg

I use frogg toggs rain suits. They have just about every type there is. You can buy the regular material they are famous for at BPS. The one in the pic is the Gore tex frogg togg fishing suit with bib. I bought 7 sets of these for my family directly from the plant in Tennessee . The cost was $57.00 for each full set on sale. The only place in Ontario where I could find these they were $200.00. They have a site on the net and have specials from time to time. They also sell on eBay. They have the pro style fisherman and cheaper ones, the one I have on is the top of the line fisherman made with gore tex. Very breathable and light.

i00069.jpg

I use the Frogg Toggs as well and they are excellent!!! Frogg Toggs are much cheaper than gore-tex and work better in my opinion.

The material is actually a woven polypropylene with a knit so tight it won't let water in but loose enough to breathe for wicking away body moisture.

I've tried Gore-Tex rainwear before and wasn't as pleased as I am with the Froggs.

One important thing no one has mentioned is size. It may be good to try it one and be happy in the standing position, but go sit and squat to make sure there's room enough for the family jewels and other parts, and, room enough to put on a fleece or sweater under it on cold days. Better a bit loose than looking like a knackwurst ready to explode.

I just ordered a frogg togg Pro-action suit on ebay and I will let you folks know how it works.... It seems more like paper than cloth but for 38 bucks delivered to my door I couldn't resist. It is light and obviously breathable as it was about 85 in the apartment (forgot I had cranked the temp when my loser landlord thought it would be OK to turn the boiler for the building off last night because it had been hot during the day....) when I tried it on and I would melt in about 10 seconds in my Viking it that kind of heat..... the phone rang and I answered it and talked to a buddy for about 10 minutes about when the earliest we could hit the tribs this weekend would be forgetting I had the rainsuit on. In that heat wearing my full delivery uniform and I never broke a sweat. Could be interesting if it holds up to the wear and tear I will be putting it through.

I will definitely post the results.

I have read alot of the reviews on the Frogg Toggs and I hope they have made changes to them it seemed alot of people were having the same problem or maybe they just ordered to small suits that would cause the ripps? I still have not decided on what to get but I think it will still be gore tex.

I have read alot of the reviews on the Frogg Toggs and I hope they have made changes to them it seemed alot of people were having the same problem or maybe they just ordered to small suits that would cause the ripps? I still have not decided on what to get but I think it will still be gore tex.

The one I got is HUGE I wanted something that I could wear over my fishing vest and a warm jacket. NOTHING bugs me more than fishing in the rain and having my vest on the outside and getting it soaked.... All three sets of my rain gear were purchased with that in mind. I figure if it lasts for a year at 38 bucks versus 250 for a gore tex that I would get 5-7 years out of I will be ahead of the game...