Fishing line

kickingfrog

Now is about the time I start buying line and deciding what reel/ spool gets what line. For the most part I already know what I want for most applications. But...

What "new" fishing line innovation (IE marketing strategy) has caught your eye? Or made you think "that's Bull!".

Like with a new car model, I tend to give something new a year. I figure that gives the company a chance to refine the product, or for the market to indicate that it's junk.

Thoughts?

Guest skeeter99

the line has alot to do with the strength of the knot!!!!!

for example

cheaper lower end mono tends to cut itself in ANY KNOT and will break overtime, it gets creases inside the knot losing it strength and the knot strength is low and will fail

higher end mono with new materials etc.. tends to stop this but not eliminate it

any who!!

back to the original post

I dont know if this is a innovation but power pro now has red spectra line (same as the green stuff) except I noticed a 150 yard spool for $14 at a few places and the green stuff was $19

what is green dye $5 more a 45 gallon drum than red dye?

Edited by skeeter99

Can't help much providing info on new lines. I usually stick with my Berkley smooth casting low visibility green --> The green line seems to be the trick for Walleye where I often fish.

Was wondering if anyone has any insight on the new Copolymer lines that are out? I just saw them at BPS last week for the first time, and they looked interesting.

Thanks for the heads up Roy. I didn't notice any red line on the site. Sure does make the stuff at Wally world iffy being half the price to begin with.

I have a hard time believing Wally World has bought counterfeit line.. Although I gotta admit, I would get a chuckle out of it.

With the bulk amounts of products they buy at one time, perhaps they are passing on their savings to the customer? :)

I was wondering about the Stren line as well Gerritt, didn't seem to make much sense but skeeter99 has cleared that up. I knew that line and knots would break down and that is why I try to re-tie a few times through out the day if I'm using one bait a lot. Never knew about the knot cutting itself though.

Roy - thanks for the heads up.

As for new lines - the Stren Superknot is not listed on the Stren web site as a new product although I haven't heard of it until this year. Here's a link to their site Stren New Products The Power Pro Red Specra I did see last fall in my local tackle store but haven't tried it. Berkley and Stren have both introduced a red mono and a new fluorocarbon line. Berkley I'd be willing to try the fluorocarbon lines but not sure about the red mono.

A buddy of mine swears by Berkley Fireline but I've had problems in the past, Might give them another go this year but will be mainly sticking with Power Pro for my superline and Trilene XL or XT for my mono's. Seagar has been my choice for a fluorocarbon line for the last couple of years.

I dont know if this is a innovation but power pro now has red spectra line (same as the green stuff) except I noticed a 150 yard spool for $14 at a few places and the green stuff was $19

what is green dye $5 more a 45 gallon drum than red dye?

Sometimes item prices have a short-n-curlies premium - people pay extra for what they know/want/believe in.

New items are sometimes introduced at a much lower price than the similar time-honored model, to attract frugal users and gain a market share. Once it's established, the price is brought up in line with the traditional model.

YO-ZURI SUCK ALL TOGETHER there product was just crap I spooled up with there floro mono blend and it was so bad that it FLEW off the spool I thought it was just on backwards no after trying a couple times I gave up sent them many emails with no response no help not a thing it was well over a year later and many email when I told them I was going to tell the world about it that they emailed me and said to bring it back to the store I laughed and asked why it took me to do this to get them to respond they gave a lame excuse and said they could not help I was happy with the answer and just pass the message along to any one I can STAY AWAY FROM THERE CRAP. JMO

I do love PP for my bait casters and musky casting I have heard that the new red PP is one to stay away from as it comes off alot faster then the green and gets into everything I have not tried it yet.

I found a great line that is cheaper and better than XT..... Raven Mainline it is made in Japan I use the super high vis green. I fidn it super limp, yet it also has great abrasion strength and no almost no stretch. I can't say enough about this line for spinning reels which is all I use. I use the 6lb for everything from steelhead (with a leader) to under 15lb carp and have no problems. I also love the fact that whenever I want to know what my line is doing I can see it in all conditions...

I just hope the place where I buy it restocks it this year.

80lb Power Pro - 130lb Stringeze floro leaders.

After fishin with Thorpe last fall.... I've now got one reel on 65lb Spiderwire Stealth. It is more flexible (than 65lb power pro) and seems to keep it's colour/coating/shape better than Power Pro. I'm in no rush to strip the other three reels of the power pro.. but when it's time is up I just might.

hey everyone! i use power pro quite a bit, whether its jigging for walleye, with a mono leader tied on of course, or if im casting for pike with my baitcaster setup. i love power pro and have a lot of confidence in it. a friend of mine works in a sporting good store and told me about "Tuff Line". im pretty sure the spelling is correct on that. anyway, apparently it is made in the same factory as power pro and is the exact same line just in different packaging and at a cheaper price. he is a guide at the lodge i work at at and he uses it with confidence. so any of you power pro guys out there, definitely keep and eye open for tuff line. im pretty sure sure its generally a few bucks cheaper than power pro.

I'm using Spiderwire on my baitcast setup right now and gotta admit, I won't be using it again. Gets water logged pretty bad and faded horribly, the first 30ft of the line has gone from dark green to almost barf yellow... I used a fresh spool for my trip last thanksgiving to the French, so it maybe has 4-5 days fishing on it at most. I dunno if the Spiderwire Invisibraid is any better, as a few of the muskie legends on here have recommended it :)

I think I am going to run PowerPro on my muskie setup and will probably re-spool the baitcaster with it also..