JB's Fishing Depot

muskymike

Hey guys,

I checked out the sportsman show yesterday. Parking lot was full, we got there around 1:30, and they were not letting anyone in through some entrances. We ended up parking on Atlantic Ave just off of King Street for free with about a 2 minute walk to the doors. Great move, I am glad my girlfriend knows her way around the city as she works about a minute from the CNE.

I wasnt that impressed with the show itself. I liked that they changed it around this year and made it seem bigger. The hunting hall was moved and the dogs were in their place. I was there for about 4 hours and didnt purchase a thing other then a shirt for the girlfriend.

Now to my point, I sifted through the booths only to be disappointed. There were deals but nothing I was in the market for. Well I got to the JB's booth and noticed that their supply was running low on a lot of items I was looking for. They actually didnt bring a lot of the Musky stuff to the show. I ended up talking to Brian (owner) and chatted for a bit about some lures and rods. He told me that they were waiting on a pretty big shipment of stuff the second week in April. He agreed to honor his show prices for me in the store when they get the stuff in because they didnt bring the stuff I was looking for. Because of his service and being friendly and taking the time to hear what I was looking for, he just gained a customer that overspends far too often.

Every show I purchase about $100 bucks worth of lures from him and his brother but because he was so helpful I am willing to go out of my way to support his store.

So in April, when his shipment comes in, because of his service I will be purchasing 2 rods, a line counter reel, some flouro leader material, and about $200 in lures.

Not sure if Brian or his brother check out this board, but I was impressed.

Thanks Brian, and you have gained a customer in me and word of mouth will go along way.

I hope everyone else has had a pleasant experience with these guys because they seem like really good people.

Mike

I buy 99% of my musky gear at JB's Mike, and you'll never find a better place to purchase any of your fishing stuff from.

Great guys to deal with and about the best selection of musky gear you'll find anywhere in Ontario, both for tackle and lures, but also rods & reels !!

Yep

Brian and Steve are both great guys to deal with. They are my number one source for my rods, reels and tackle.

They take the time to get to know what you need and with their experience offer great suggestions.

One problem with these guys, the store is too close to my workplace. LOL

:whistling:

Jose

I agree with you guys on JB's

I bought a few things from them in the past, and found that their pricing was a bit higher than the 2 big GTA shops, unless it was at the shows. I always visited them at the shows to get most of what I need during the year, BUT at the last Fishing/Boat show, Brian provided some invaluable advise on some Bert's rigging hardware that I wouldn't be able to get from the big 2's! Not only did I get all the rigging needed for better pricing then ordering from the US, but I got the experience and expertise to properly rig my boat up for Salmon/Muskie chasing.

Two ups up for JB's from me, and I will spend more of my hard earn dollars there.

VB

The boys there are great!! I've had many a conversation with them over the past couple of years and picked up a new SpongeBob fishing rod for my youngest daughter today at their show booth (she saw it and would not let go of it). They are very helpful and I'll second Lew in that nobody has their selection of Musky gear, in rods, reels, lures and tackle.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I called JB's up today to see if they would still honor the pricing for me and to make sure they had what i was looking for in stock. They do, but its all at the Carp show apparently. So I asked if they would still honor the pricing for me and I believe I was talking to Steve, cus he said Brian was not there, and he told me that he wouldnt honor the prices unless I paid cash.

I have lined up about $500 worth of stuff, a few rods a new reel and some musky baits, but I dont have 500 lying around to pay for this right now.

The kicker is, I could have paid for everything at the sportsman show and just picked it up (i thought about this today) but i didnt. now i have to dish out $500 or maybe more in cash just so he will honor the prices.

I feel like i just got kicked in the .......

Just venting. I understand his point of view, but if they say one thing and then say they wont do it. well i am not going to shop there. this goes on to G's point about pricing and going to where the customer will be satisfied.

I am going to call Brian next week to see if he will help me out, but if not, they just lost my sale and the sale from 4 others that were going to go with me. I am not making the trip I will order from Rollie and Helens for the lures and pick up the rods and the reels local, the time and gas i have to spend to make the trip is not worth it. well i think its more about the customer satisfaction.

my sale, plust 4 others would have totaled around $1500, i guess our dollars will go elsewhere. disappointing though, as i really liked how i was treated at the show.

Sorry just venting.

Mike, I hope everything gets sorted out... Trust me I know how your feeling right now.. The feeling of trust.. thinking your going to be taken care of... only to feel like they are trying to bend you over....

Given the good things some of the guys have said/vouched for JB's.... My bet is you will be taken care of! word of mouth travels fast in our circle..

I have little doubt that JB's will follow through

G

If you made a deal with Brian... don't be discussing it with Steve and expecting him to know what's going on or to honour it. As for the Cash part.. I fully understand it ....as it's possible it covers the spread on the old to new prices. I get nailed for 4.63% of total purchase (including taxes) by the Payment Tec criminals for the honour of accepting a credit card !

If you haven't talked to the guy you made the deal/arrangement with you have no business dissin them here.

Misty River, i was by no means bashing them. I was simply stating the frustration of being told one thing then getting the run around. I stated i was going to call Brian to see if he can help me. Which i will do, I hope they can help me out.

Roy, i forgot to mention, Brian said it didnt matter how I paid as long as I paid. He would keep his word

If this was just a few lures i would understand and wouldnt really care. They had nothing at the show when i asked and said it was either on its way to the store or in the store.

I will keep you posted as to how it unfolds when i talk to Brian next week.

I know $1500 isnt much, but it adds up. Not on here, but word of mouth. Customer service is built on reputation and commitment.

What would you do? I would have purchased it all at the show for the prices they had, but they didnt have the stock.

I stop J.B.'s every couple of weeks for various things Michelle and I need....the truth is, sometimes I have to convince her we need them, but it is all the same in the wash :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Any who, guys have alwas been super friendly. Happy to share their knowledge and they have an awesome selection.

I am sure if you speak to Brian that he will sort this out for you.

Okay my tone must have come across WRONG.

So everyone knows. i was NOT BASHING them.

I was explaining. thats all.

"I am going to call Brian next week to see if he will help me out"

Forgive me for being frustrated, i guess everyone has had perfect experiences everywhere they shopped?

"Not sure if Brian or his brother check out this board, but I was impressed.

Thanks Brian, and you have gained a customer in me and word of mouth will go along way.

I hope everyone else has had a pleasant experience with these guys because they seem like really good people. "

this is a loosing cause i shouldnt have said anything.....hahahaha

Hey Mike,

Wasn't trying to prevent you from ranting....

We had a really bad experience at BPS in March, I know a lot of members here love the shop...

But us, not so much. JB's has a great selection but you have got to find a place you are happy spending your hard earned money.

Hey Mike,

Wasn't trying to prevent you from ranting....

We had a really bad experience at BPS in March, I know a lot of members here love the shop...

But us, not so much. JB's has a great selection but you have got to find a place you are happy spending your hard earned money.

Thanks 4Reel and G, i am glad you guys no where I am coming from. I would love to have everything work out cus I buy stuff from them at every show probably around $100 each time, i would like to keep my dollars in canada and support them...so i am hoping everything works out

Yep.. most of them are from helping people out... just like I was trying to for you, but you're too busy patting yourself on the back to realize that! :rolleyes::wallbash:

Wayne, I was not patting, that is for sure. I have read almost all of your posts since I have been a member, and I have gotten a great deal from most. I was not saying this in an insulting manner, just as a joke. Apologies if you took it as I was insulting you. It was not my intention.

But I know where you fish in the fall, so watch out :whistling:

I value everyones opinion on here, especially the guys who have been on here for a long time, but it did feel like you were taking a jab.

Lets leave this be, maybe I will see you in the Sound sometime, I will be sure to stop by and say hello, even though I dont know your rig.