Got some lakers!

duber

Went icefishing lakers for the first time.Did good for the lake we were on.I caught 3 from 18-22 inches and my fishing partner caught 2 including one monster 7 pounder witch he released. :thumbsup_anim:

Anyways not having any experience with lakers,I am looking for everyones recipies or opinions on the best way to cook the fillets.

Thanks to all who replie.

Edited by duber

I've cooked some in the same beer batter I use for walleye, then dip in Krafts Tartar sauce, Awesome. When cooking this way, cut off any of the browner meat along each side, that's what makes them taste fishy. I also like to fill the cavity (whole fish with skin minus head, tail, and fins) with carrots, onions, lemon pepper, fish spices, wrap in foil and place on BBQ. Roughly 20 minutes to a side. Pull back the foil, the skin should be stuck to the foil, and you have some great tasting fish. I don't eat the carrots and onions, they help absorb any fishy taste.

I think I'm the last guy one earth who perfers to butter poach my fish....no batter, no crisp.

A quarter inch of Nice salted hot Browned butter in a pan with, onions...fillets poached on medium heat for about 2 minutes on both sides.

Deglaze the pan at the last minute with a small amount of white wine or beer if the pan gets dry or if the butter starts to burn.

Finish the fish on the plate with fresh lemon juice, and Cracked pepper....

Man there is nothing and I mean nuth'n better then that :thumbsup_anim:

I think I'm the last guy one earth who perfers to butter poach my fish....no batter, no crisp.

A quarter inch of Nice salted hot Browned butter in a pan with, onions...fillets poached on medium heat for about 2 minutes on both sides.

Deglaze the pan at the last minute with a small amount of white wine or beer if the pan gets dry or if the butter starts to burn.

Finish the fish on the plate with fresh lemon juice, and Cracked pepper....

Man there is nothing and I mean nuth'n better then that :thumbsup_anim:

No, you're not Cookslav, that's how I like to do mine also. I'm not a big batter or breaded fan. I think it takes away from the true taste of the fish.

Joey

BBQ

julyn.jpg

Flesh side down first for ~ 10 minutes.. flip and baste with your favourite ( I use BBQ sauce..mixed with soya sauce/margarine/s&p/and a few other things I forget - written down at lake). Then cook skin side down until the skin charcoals lightly. Darn near tastes like BBQ Chicken.

mush or grind up the meat, add onions and spices and make laker patties uhmmm amazing!! Great thing about lakers is there is enough oil in the fish to keep them from burning in the pan or on the grill.

Edited by walleyemen

Well , had them for lunch yesterday just pan fried with my normal batter mix.

All I can say is "yummy".

I'm going to try them different today,maybe in the oven or just fried in butter.

The last time I had lake trout was out of Lake Ontario and I was not very impressed but these small lake ones threw the ice are very good.

Thanks again to all repies.