Napster Questions (nf)

Guest Trophymuskie

Guest Trophymuskie

Ok santa gave my 11 year old daughter $$$ to spend on the net to buy some music.

I remember that napster was one of the worse for spywear and such, is it still a place to avoid.

Also what are our options out there and preferably the safest.

Kazaa, Limewire and others are peer to peer (P2P) networks meaning they are simply interfaces for people to go into other peoples computer files. Since there is no administration of this anything at all can be put onto the net. Those without a decent level of experience could be at risk for infection via these services. Since it is P2P it is all free. Napster used to be P2P , but is no longer.

Napster, iTunes and others are commercial song resellers. They should be air tight as far as any viruses.

If using iTunes, you may find it easier if you first install the iTunes and QuickTime programs from Apple.

My Daughters have iPods, and all the mp3's from Limewire have to be converted to itunes. Bit of a pain, but still better than a buck a tune.

My mp3 player just plays the regular old mp3 files directly, which I get through limewire.

I can see paying, but a buck a tune is a bit steep. Afterall, they are not supplying covers, jacket liners, or even the discs themselves. You are supplying the labour. Am I missing something here?

Torrents are great.... however he wants to LEGALLY purchase music...

iTunes is a great option... I also hear FutureShop May be opening a service?????

Ps... if you want complete albums.... use .torrent :) www.mininova.org is a great starting point and Utorrent is a simple piece of software :)

Good luck!

Gerritt.

If you want legit versions, then I've heard only good things about iTunes. You have to be careful with the P2P software, like others have mentioned there is a chance of downloading viruses, spyware etc. You have to know what you are doing and keep up to date with your anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc. to keep your computer clean...

Mike

Guest Trophymuskie

wow at a buck a song I may be broke by the time she fills her MP3.

I tried limewire the other day and downloaded 10 songs for her and it' seemed pretty fast and painless.

I did have one download stopped du to corrected files, not sure if it was a virus or anything at all but glad it stopped and then I removed it.

What does limewire pro do that the free one does not?

doesn't mean they dont exist, but I am not aware of any virii embedded in mp3s. as long as you keep to only mp3s you should have nothing to worry about with limewire.

limewire pro allows for faster searches and improved results.