My New truck almost swam with the whitefish ... ALMOST

cityfisher

Well Joey and others I don`t think anybody here was too hard on Cityfisher and his poor judgment/misfortune, every year we hear stories of people,snowmobiles,trucks that go through the ice and there is usually a handful of people who pay with their lives and they leave behind loved ones who have to deal with the tragedy. It usually happens early in the season and late in the season I think most would agree that this time of year taking a vehicle out on the ice is a gamble. Warmer days ice shifting and cracking partial freezing and thawing again is a recipe for a potential disaster.

I can assure you I always think about what I am posting and I can also assure you I have never taken a vehicle out on the ice and I never will it`s a risk reward thing.

When a member posts a topic and expects replies they should do it with the understanding that all the responses might not be of the golly gee you poor baby type some may actually respond with what they think and that`s what makes a bulletin board.

Well said.

Uh... yah... and getting in your car and driving on the 401 hasn't had any ill affect on any in the past either! Or standing at Victoria Park Station on the TTC at mid-night has all the assurances that anyone needs , for their own safety!

Life is full of risks, unless you live in a plastic bubble.

I don't think he was reckless, just a little unlucky.

HH

Edited by Headhunter

Oh, don't worry Kirk... they'll help themselves to anything you have! All the help you could possibly ask for and more! LOL

Stoty, yes if was preventable, but no more preventable then the guys who take their "just a little too small" boat on Lake O, but are gonna stay close to shore.

Virtually all "bad things" that can happen are preventable, if we don't do anything!

HH

I have been driveing trucks out onto the ice for 30+ years Went thu only twice in that time . Once on simcoe like you and only the back of the truck went down , once on sucgog where the whole truck sunk but we were close to shore and only in 3 feet of water . Both times the truck was rescued and after minor repairs no worse for wear . I have allways made sure condishions were right and just put this down to as headhunter said BAD LUCK . S**8 happens you can slip in the shower a women I work with fell into the stairs on the street car going home one night and broke her neck and did some brain damage , she is parilized on one side and will never work again ???? I agree driving on ice too thin etc. is not smart but when condishions are good and trucks are plowing out ice roads you will find me out there .

I'm drivin out on the river in a few minutes to try for some eyes....we plowed ice roads all day Saturday in order to help others get their shacks off for the MNR ice hut removal deadline of midnight Mar 15th....there's a good 24" of ice on the river....not the 36" that we usually have this time of year but it'll do....

Here's some pics from Saturday.....

20080315_0003.jpg

20080315_0002.jpg

20080315_0001.jpg

On a happier note, no matter how careful we are, we all end up dead...

so maybe the guys crashing thru the ice are doing things the right way, and they aren't around to speak up for themselves.

As a famous skydiver once said, "I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not living"

Ok, 1st of all.I'm glad your ok & nothing really happen so badly.

2sd you might have sucked up all the water on the top of the mats.But I will bet there is still h2o under the mats.I've been 4x4ing Jeeps for many years now.And after jumping in swamps & mud holes you soon figure out.That carpet has no place to be found in a Jeep.lol ( I ripped mine outta my Cherokee )

I would lift up you carpets in your truck ( by the doors are the easy ones to get at) you'll be shocked to see how much water is under that carpet.It will stink sooner or later.

3rd change your diff fluids frt & rear.You most likely have h20 in your diif's.And I would check/change your t-case oil as well.Your diff vent lines are not long enuff to stay outta h20.

oh yeah crap happens.

take care.

Shawn.

Ice conditions can change and knowing the lake you are on and keeping track of things like rapid temperature changes you can avoid potential problems. According to some oldtimers very cold temperatures can make the ice brittle so a warmer trend is safer to haul a heavy load. Pressure cracks can form in an instant so it may be good going out but not so good coming back. Keep speeds down, pressure waves can crack ice ahead of you, especially approaching shorelines. The boathouse (18x24) I moved last winter was done on 16" of blue ice. Not sure what the boathouse weighed (let alone the truck) but it made the 1 kilometer drive across the bay. Taking things across to the islands in the winter is often the only feasible way to get large stuff there.

I would not recommend anyone drive a vehicle out on ice they do not know conditions of. Talk to local people first and not just one of them. Some think they know but dont.

DSC00195.jpg

DSC00182.jpg

Edited by Bernie

I agree with the small boats on Lake Ontario.

I just find it hard to believe when people take risks like these just to catch some fish.

Stoty, by posting this comment here i have to go a bit off the thread topic.

It seems you have no clue sometimes but a have strong opinion despite lack of experience.

Personally i'll take a boat out on L. Ontario but only with extreme caution, foresight and thru experience.

Usually i'll have my best fishing ever as a result. This is a fishing board so i'll post results occasionally.

Some winters i won't be able to go there as the weather and conditions aren't ever right. Sometimes all the precautions will

allow it to get done.

Been doing that since you were probably in grade school.

I could do nothing and take no risks just sit in front of my computer and whine, but i digress.

Taking a vehicle out to whitey grounds has been going on forever with few issues.

Cityfisher will probably be more apprehensive in the future.

Dont worry Wayne Im swimming at that end of the gene pool too :rolleyes:

Its just as dangerous driving sleds or bikes out on the ice. How many people have hit pressure cracks on sleds and been hurt in the last week alone?

Lots of other people have been in the same situation this year. I pulled a guy out of a crack a few weeks ago. Its the risk yo take driving out there. I had no real problems and I drove all over the lake. Like has been said before wrong place wrong time.

I miss it already

100_1051.jpg

I can't believe some of these responses. As I said earlier I wouldn't take my truck out on the ice BUT that is because it is rarely done down here and I havn't done it (don't know enough about it). Places up north depend on those ice roads. I would probably feel safer on one of the ice roads in Temagami than my daily drive on the 401. Glad your safe and s%it happens!

It seems you have no clue sometimes but a have strong opinion despite lack of experience.

Truck = heavy

Ice = unpredictable

With those two things put together, yes you're right I lack experience in taking my truck on the ice because I have NEVER done it, nor will I ever. It goes to show you that it doesn't matter if the ice is 8" thick or 22" thick. Its a risk no matter what. And to catch some whitefish, isn't worth the damage to myself or my truck.

This is a forum, which is pretty much based on people's opinions.

In my opinion, its not worth the risk of taking a vehicle onto the lake. You opinion might vary from mine, but that doesn't mean its wrong.

Actually ice is predictable Stoty, at least at my area of the lake. Each year the ice begins to form in shallower areas and slower current flows. The pressure crack pops up very close to the same line across the lake. There are the usual spots that the ice does not get as thick as other areas. This is where experience and information comes in. If someone goes through (at least in my neck of the woods) its always in the same spots. I do not recommend people to drive where ever they want because of that. Following a well traveled ice road is beneficial due to no, or well packed snow keeping the snow insulation to a minimum allowing good ice formation.

Ok, 1st of all.I'm glad your ok & nothing really happen so badly.

2sd you might have sucked up all the water on the top of the mats.But I will bet there is still h2o under the mats.I've been 4x4ing Jeeps for many years now.And after jumping in swamps & mud holes you soon figure out.That carpet has no place to be found in a Jeep.lol ( I ripped mine outta my Cherokee )

I would lift up you carpets in your truck ( by the doors are the easy ones to get at) you'll be shocked to see how much water is under that carpet.It will stink sooner or later.

3rd change your diff fluids frt & rear.You most likely have h20 in your diif's.And I would check/change your t-case oil as well.Your diff vent lines are not long enuff to stay outta h20.

oh yeah crap happens.

take care.

Shawn.

Yeah Ive been running a demudifier for the past day and also been drying the under padding.. Most of it is pretty dry now...BUt still needs a couple days of work. After i get the bumpers fixed up im going to drain the fluids just to be sure.

Sounds like a good idea about the demudifier it can't hurt.But most underpadding is really! think ( more for sound proffing than anything) and the humidfier might not go throught the think padding.I'd hate to see you have h2o under that mat, and watch your truck rust out FAST.

ANd about waiting to change/check your fluids. If it was summer, I'd say "maybe"? wait a bit...but having h20 in your diff's or t-case in the winter will do some major damage.

I would'nt wait to long IMO. it sure can't hurt.

take care, us jeep guys have to stick together. :thumbsup_anim:

Shawn.

PS, my old Cherokee with no carpet/mats. :whistling: just for fun.

153277050kIpdgu_ph.jpg

Ya, you want to check for water in the diffs. If that freezes, and its full of water/oil, you can crack the housings open......then your in to big bucks. Much cheaper to get a few jugs of oil and change it out now...........its gonna get cold again in the next few days!!

Sinker