Is Fluorocarbon leader worth the premium price?

tschirk

I am a real convert to using braid with a flouro leader.

Most manufactures sell 100% fluorocarbon in both main line & leader material with leader being a premium price. Excluding Vanish (it's junk - disintegrates too fast - IMHO). Aren't they both the same? Is there really a benefit to paying more for 'leader' over main line?

What do you think?

Thx,

Ted

in the same boat as far as your choice of line and leader . seagar leaders for me , just seemed to make sense to spend the extra.

don't know if there is a difference [ hope so, spent the money lol] look forward to the reponses you get for some clarity. good question.

Ya know? I've been using the fluro for sometime now, and I find them a bit bulky. Also, fluro may be denser, hence more buoyant in water, and therefore will sink slower than most wire leaders, but if you've got hardware on the leader, like say, 2 crimps, a ball-bearing swivel/snap swivel, your baits will still nose dive, and the action of your baits would be greatly affected. I'm a big proponent of suspending jerk baits, and there's nothing I hate more than whatching my bait sink head first on a pause-retrieve.. If you're gonna go fluro, use as less hardware as possible. If you tend to use jerkbaits, a ball bearing swivel isn't necessary. If you like tossing in-line spinners and spinner-baits, you need not worry about extra hardware.

As an alternative, I use thin wire leaders. They've been working really well, especially here in the harbour, where the pike tend to be lure shy. They're light, and sink slowly, so your bait will look as natural as possible in the water. They're relatively cheap, but you can get sure-lock leaders for around 10 bucks a pop. They're worth it, but unlocking them can get tricky, especially in cold water.

Just a thought.

Good luck!

HD

Edited by Highdrifter

Usually the Leader Material comes in shorter lengths and is much heavier. I use 85# and 100# but want to pick up so 130# tomorrow.

It is expensive but in the long run pays off, they usually last forever unless you are trolling in rocky/jagged areas.

FC leader material is more abrasion resistent, FC line is more limp. Both claim to be invisible and have a little stretch, ideal for braid. I use both.

I use Seagaur Flourocarbon for for muskie and pike trolling and casting and where I might be contacting bottom with rocks and zebra muscles.

I use Seagaur Carbon Pro for walleye, trout and salmon trolling. I also use 10yrd's of Carbon Pro for my leadcore setups.

I save money where I can but spend it when it counts.

-Brian

Recently rigged up two different setups I have with braid/fluorocarbon.. So far I am impressed with my seaguar fluoro leaders.. I've got both 15 and 45 pound leaders, one on a jigging setup, one on a northern pike baitcast setup.. they are tough as nails and nearly invisible in the water.. I'd say spending the few extra bucks is worth it in the long run..

I have never used fluoro leaders, just weren`t around when I made my trips to Ontario. That said, I have a whole new outlook on the importance of quality leaders though, most of my lost fish up north came from not using a steel leader, or one that didn`t hold up, had snaps open(bend) wire pull out of crimps. Use a good quality product.

I made the switch to fluoro leaders 3 or 4 years back after Mr. JR gave me a couple to try, mainly because it was costing me a small fortune for the wire leaders I was using. I always used the Stringease leaders and they're a real quality product, but would often get kinked after scrapping with a musky, and once that happened I wouldn't use them again. Trouble was, they're about $6 each and if you have a good day on the water and land several fish, it could cost more $$$$ for leaders than gas for the boat.

I now use the 130 pound Seaguar fluoro and make my own leaders with quality hardware, and you can land many many fish before they need to be replaced.

The initial outlay for the fluoro seems expensive at about $55 for 50' plus the cost of the hardware, but in the longrun I know for a fact I've saved alot of money.

At the bass pro sale a week ago,i bought 2 spools of the new trilene %100 flourocarbon,8lb & 10lb,the pros says its great,its all new and is alot more limp,and abrasion resistant so im gonna try it for walleyes,and see how it works,the price is good too,so well see great thread with lots of info guys thanks :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: