Costa Rica tomorrow!!!

steverowbotham

Well everyone, on tuesday morning i'll be heading to Costa Rica for two weeks to volunteer to help build a wildlife sanctuary on the pacific coast. I'm bringing some rods down to make some casts from shore. Anyone been there before or have any suggestions for baits etc.

Edited by steverowbotham

Well everyone, on tuesday morning i'll be heading to Costa Rica for two weeks to volunteer to help build a wildlife sanctuary on the pacific coast. I'm bringing some rods down to make some casts from shore. Anyone been there before or have any suggestions for baits etc.

One of my customers goes twice a year.He has faith in many Rapalas.Very big and small.

You see the should tarpen he lands :Gonefishing:

Have a great trip .Looking forward to the pics.

1/4 ounce 1/2 ounce jigheads with deer hair. Colours white yellow bright pink or chartrusse. Get some swedish pimples in straight silver. Get nothing with a with a hook that you can't replace or that is a solid hook. On the ocean look for channels where water has to pass through. Draining water creates a fair bit of current...any sort of current no matter what the time of day. Burn those lures by current and you should catch fish. Cudas...Get some poppers for slack water areas. You will also need leaders...for toothy critters. Actually bring all your crap stuff. Many locals like to fish and have little.

Edited by scuro

1/4 ounce 1/2 ounce jigheads with deer hair. Colours white yellow bright pink or chartrusse. Get some swedish pimples in straight silver. Get nothing with a with a hook that you can't replace or that is a solid hook. On the ocean look for channels where water has to pass through. Draining water creates a fair bit of current...any sort of current no matter what the time of day. Burn those lures by current and you should catch fish. Cudas...Get some poppers for slack water areas. You will also need leaders...for toothy critters. Actually bring all your crap stuff. Many locals like to fish and have little.

With the equipment I need to bring down, I have very little space for tackle, so I can only bring a small selection... i have a few rapala jerkbaits, some topwaters, and pink tubes (shrimp?)

I hope to tie into a few fish at least

Chug bugs! white buckstails and black and silver Xraps!

First time down I would focus on the easiest fish to catch which will be Cuda. Bucktails with a good hook!! White or silver with party colours mixed in. Silver works great. If it is not a good solid hook on the bucktail forget it, even small fish will bend out your hooks. Chug bugs ehhh...gotta try it. Poppers worked for me and a Zara spook! Don't forget leaders...down south is a place where you want floro or good titanium because the fish will kink cheaper leaders to crap in short order.