Line preference for planer boards

lew

When using small planer boards for smaller springtime pickeral, what line do you prefer ??

Do you like mono all the way from boat to bait and if so what brand & size, or do you prefer braided and then a leader of mono or fluoro ??

When I'm flatline trolling springtime pickeral, I normally use 30 pound PP then a leader of 4-5' of 10 Berkely XL and find that works very well for me, but I'll be using a board for the 1st time this spring and just wondered what you find works best for you.

I'll be using an Okuma linecounter reel on an 8' 6" medium Okuma rod

What are your thoughts, please ?? :Gonefishing:

image004.jpg

I use 12 lb mono myself

use it for my inline boards for trout & walleye, and it even handles great for those suprise salmon

braid/superlines will work, but I personally prefer the mono & the little bit of stretch. I also like 12lb becasue most of the depth curves for trolling cranks are listed for 10 mono.

I run the exsact same board, complete with the tattle flag upgrade.

In the past I have ran strait braid, Strait Mono, and also tried a 5' lead of mono off of braid at the same time in different rods....

As has my Partner Big Swede....we like to switch it up, and see whats working on the advice of others who know better.

(AKA Superdad)

I can say this...

We have Never had any problems with the braided, or the mono

(except in the minus 10 degree weather both lines stuck to the clips :rolleyes: )

But as far as results go...

We caught more Pickeral on the strait Braid in the past, with no shakers.

My guess is when the bite is light, the zero stretch aspect of the Braid sets the hook better on the "taps".

I Would imagine it also makes the play of the lure a little more Sparatic, as I would guess when the board moves, the lure moves...there is no lag in the pull, especially if your moving slow.

Who knows maybe it makes little to no difference, but from what I've seen the strait braid did the trick just fine.

For Obvious visibility reasons Mono is the leading choice of most guys I have talked to, but IMO If the fish are on...it makes no difference.

So I stick with the braid now, simply because I like to run a lot of line, and the zero stretch gives me more confidence in my hook set and the play.

Cheers,

Hey lew when im running boards for walleyes ,im always using 10lb mono,or 20lb power pro,and by the way im always using a flouro leader tied to that...even for fall quinte walleyes i run 10lb mono,cause thats the line that they use for the precision trolling guide !!!!! they also use 14lb fireline which has the diameter of 4lb mono....so if you use the 15lb powere pro it works out the same....i troll alot for walleyes and good quality 10lb mono will handle anything that you will run off the in-lines and it works great !!!...hope that helps...man that trolling guide is amazing,and it will up your catch big time....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

I want to use a small inline planer board like the one pictured above. Has anyone tried using such a planer board tied to braided line then tying on the line from your fishing rod to a release at the end of the board? This setup would be same used for those large planer boards but on a smaller scale.

Edited by Dabluz

do as fishmaster and dave (dwc) are suggesting....they both have lots of time on the water fishing the method your looking to do...

take a 25yard spool of flouro, and tie the whole thing as a leader. So you'll have 75' of flouro. Very little stretch in leader material flouro. When you attach your inline, you'll at least have the 75' of flouro out, probably more....

upgrade the clip on the board to the OR18, as dave mentioned. it'll stop any braid slip, as well as stop it from slipping out.

i'd go with 20 or 30lbs braid....just cause the xtra diameter will help fill the reel.....everyone has their own preference for lead strength....if your fishing spring walleye, i'd go with 10lbs. when i'm fishing fall/winter walleye, i'm using 17lbs or 21lbs.

if you do decide to go with mono, go with one of the new no stretch mono's that are on the market.

Lew,

I run 12lb copolymer line as it is thin and has the same diameter as 10lb test mono. This gives you extra strength, sensitivity and allows you to keep your dive curves consistent with most baits listed in Precision trolling. No need for heavy line, rods or reels when fishing walleye.

Have fun and enjoy your walleye adventures.

-sheldon