rain suit suggestions

carll2

hey everyone..im starting to get ready for yet another season of guiding, which brought me to think of a new rain suit. now last season i had bought some crappy one from canadian tire and after 2 hours of beeing in intense rain id start feeling water getting in, keep in mind ican spend anywhere from 3-9 hours in the rain so i need something good....shoot away any suggestions ya have..thanks

Leah and I love our Gortex outfits. Coat and rain pants about $250 each. Wish we had of spent the money years ago.... stay dry and on the water, without sweating to death inside like you do in a cheap "slicker". Was a priceless purchase considering it always seems to rain just as we step foot on the marina dock to head for our island in the open steel boat.

I got a shimano gortex suit last year and have absolutely loved it. It keeps me totally dry in the worst weather and with a couple of layers in the winter months very warm.

It may cost a little more but is well worth the money.

Just a suggestion, if you check out my posts you will see me wearing it in a couple of them.

Cheers,

Jen

wow cabelas has some nice stuff..i like the guide series but wow 250$ for just the bibs then again i payed over 800$ for my gore tex snowmobile suit and its well worth it...still shopping around...if anyone has any other suggestions or expiiriences keep em coming

I got the jacket and bib in cabelas guidewear and was extremely happy with the performance. Wore them everyday last summer guiding and nothing bad to say. Only thing sitting in a boat I think the long parka wouldnt ride up as much as the jacket. I went with the jacket to double as a wading jacket. Not a problem if youre wearing the bibs too though.

My last rainsuit was by Wetskins.

I was wearing my suit when I was at the lakes edge doing dishes. Well, that "Boot Sucking Sauce" that's at the waters edge, sucked me in. We were camped on the Canadian Shield, it had been a wet day and I was wearing rubber boots and my rainsuit.

When I finally stopped sliding in, I was upto my chest in the water. I won't go into details on how helpful, my buddies were. When I finally got myself back on shore, the only part of me that was wet, was a small area at my waist where my Buck Tool was.

I nolonger have a rainsuit, but I do have a Raincoat, surprise, it's also made by "Wetskins".

Cabelas guide series is one of the best out there as well.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...r&noImage=0

I'll second that. My buddy has the Cabelas Gudie Series & it's been working great for him. He tripped & fell in the water on our fly-in trip a few years ago & the only thing that got wet were his feet. I have the cheaper knock off Gore-tex from Cabelas & it has worked great for me.

For my money I really like the wetskins (about $125 at CT) .. I look like an offshore cod fisherman .. but hey I am WARM and DRY on the coldest spring ZEC rainy days ... works for me :) .. I even used it on the ice last year before I got my fancy shmancy Helly-Hanson survival suit

I'll put in another vote for the BPS 100MPH Gor-tex rain suit. I've used mine for 3 seasons guiding and it is bullet proof. A lot of the other guys I guide with have the Cabelas Guide Wear and while it's good they all get a wet crotch on an all day rain while I stay dry in my BPS suit. Bibs are the way to go, no question. Believe people when they say it's the best money you can spend... especially as a guide when you're out ther everyday.

im not sure yet but i thinkk il go with the 100mph suit...but one question when you order from bps does the order go to the ontario store or to the states? if it goes to the states il get nailed for duty and shipping thats what sucks...if thats the case il look for something around here

Try Marks Work Warehouse they got some good stuff priced very reasonable. i use the Viking Boga Chill line they have and it's a great suit, mind you i haven't spent all day in it either, but it has kept me dry when i have used it. I think the jacket and pants cost me around $200.It's a v-tech fabric? very light and easy to stough away.

I've had the Cabela's Guide Wear, BPS 100 MPH & Pro Qualifier Rain Suits and they've all been great! I think as long as you buy a quality(translation expensive) rain suit you'll do fine. I've heard real good thing about the Shimano Gore-Tex Rain Suit, everyone who has one seems to love them. We are giving one away as an early bird bird prize at the Bass talk session being held at Paddletales just outside of Ottawa. If you were considering attending maybe you should wait on that purchase get your registration in before the early bird and win that $450.00 Rain Suit! That would be sweet!

Dave

im not sure yet but i thinkk il go with the 100mph suit...but one question when you order from bps does the order go to the ontario store or to the states? if it goes to the states il get nailed for duty and shipping thats what sucks...if thats the case il look for something around here

Don't worry about extra duties and taxes from BPS the total price you see on the website will be in U.S. dollars but you won't pay extra at the door.... The only difference will be the exchange rate your credit card charges you order at the right time you could even save .00005 cents on each dollar.... Cabelas is the same btw the price they quote you includes everything. However if you look at the little extras they tack on for shipping handling taxes and duties you can easily pay for a tank of fuel to go the BPS store in Vaughn.... I bought a pair of 99 dollar breathable waders from Cabelas by the time I got them with all the extras and the dollar only worth .92 U.S it wound up being 172 bucks.... But I couldn't have driven to Michigan for that 73 bucks either LOL.

Helly Hasen has a breathable suit available at LeBarons for about 160 or so and if you order from them you won't have to pay PST unless you live in Quebec so that would make the shipping darn near free.....