A weekend on the Lady...

Shelley Cooper

I got myself out on the Lady Thursday morning and what a beautiful morning it was….

The view at 7:30 am

Firsticetrip001.jpg

By 8 am, I was all set up and put my lure down the hole. Not long in to it and I get a hit.. then another hit… ya, I was getting excited, this was going to be a good day… then another hit, this time the fish is on… I could feel the head shakes.. it’s a whitey… ya… half way up… GONE… :huh: Pull my lure up and remove several scales and head back down for more….

Another fish on…. But this time, it doesn’t feel so big.. get it to the hole, it’s a perch.. a 9 in. perch… back down the hole, fish on, more perch… this kept up, I was thinking of moving, but thought, well, its better than anyone else is doing.. I’ll just stayed and keep trying.. not long and I have 4 nice perch on the ice…

Firsticetrip003.jpg

Although no big fish to bring home, I did ok.. Got a baker's dozen of 9 - 12in perch, and 6 of them being 11inches... and would you believe it.. on a big William’s spoon...The afternoon was moving on and I was just sitting thinking.. I'll have a last smoke and pack up, not half way through my smoke... Wammmo... another fish on.. But boy, could I feel the difference... I was sure I had a whitie.. I was casual.. played with it a bit... and finally got it to the hole... It’s a laker, not a huge one, but it’s a laker.... My adrenaline pumping, I try to get its head in the hole, and it turn's side ways at the hole and takes a mad dash.... Snap.....My line breaks on the ice circle and there goes my Laker..,,,, along with my Lucky spoon of the day.... <_<

it was still a great day… I got to feel the whitey head shake, fight a laker to the hole and brought home a meal of nice size perch for the 2 of us….

Firsticetrip006.jpg

Firsticetrip007.jpg

Saturday Another beautiful day on the Lady… This time in deeper waters....

Chuck and I arrived at the park around 7:15am…and headed for Chuck’s honey hole… it was a bit of a walk and we had to cross the crack… which I wasn’t to crazy about.. I stayed well back following in the same tracks…

We finally made it to where his honey hole was and drilled some holes to find pretty good ice…. We found 4-5'' everywhere, over 85ft of water, with bikes and sleds all over the place. We fished for some time with no action… I was thinking.. sure, some honey hole… lol

Chuck decides to move a bit… set up again not 20 min. into the move… he fights his first whitey … and onto the ice it comes. It wasn’t one of the biggest ones we’ve seen, so back she went…

Finally around noon, I get a hit, fish on, GONE…

Chuck kept marking fish only 20ft under the hole and decides to set up a second line and just as he was setting it up, he gets another good solid hit..

And onto the ice comes this real nice Laker…..

Chucks1stlaker-08.jpg

We kept fishing and enjoying the outdoors and watching others around us flying these big Kites getting pulled across the ice on skies….. when around 2:30pm, I finally get a good solid hit… A nice whitey… about 22.1/2 inches…and on the ice….

WhiteyJan26-08003.jpg

We fished about another hour without marking any more fish or seeing any around…

What a great way to spend a winters day…

Sunday we were back out to the same spot… Not much action for us today.. We both lost one in the morning and nothing again till afternoon when I got this whitey on the ice… She isn’t that big, so back down she went to grow a little more… and fight another day.

WhiteyJan27-08003.jpg

We packed it in around 3pm… Today was another beautiful day on the Lady. Hard to believe it’s the end of January…

Excellent Report! That's a beautiful laker, and a very nice whitey. I'm glad someone is out on the ice and writting reports. Get back out their...i want to see some more photo's of big white fish!

-Ramble