GPS

walleyejack

i got some good responses, am just wondering if anyone has any more input on gps's it seems the Garmin is the hot item and lowrance is right behind it, the lad at the store mentioned the lowrance screen was not as sharp as the Garmin, but i can understand that because the pixels are less, am going to le barons on friday to make a deal, i hope.. haha. i want to be armed with info.

thank you

Go garmin all the way and Radio World had the best prices I could find anywhere. The best deal I could find was at the Sportsman Show (Radio World special) and got the Garmin 76 map for $200.00 including the cable to link it to my computer included.

If I was in need of a GPS, I would check online, you can get a much better price and with the dollar exchange, you can save lots. I just googled Garmin gpsmap 60csx and Amazon.com is selling them for $299. That's a great deal.

Well I have to say I was impressed with Angling Outfitters.. not only did he meet or beat other retailers pricing, Including Cabela's But his service was top notch!

I will be returning .. and spending more $$. Even though I have been there only once... we are lucky to have a fellow like Jos serving our needs.

G

When I make a purchase, such as you are doing right now, I do my home work. I knew nothing about GPS's then. Pretty much all of my research told me that Garmin is the way to go. I'm happy that I went that route.

After your purchase however, there's most likely going to be added expenses. You'll want some good maps, which can cost $100.00 to $200.00 each. And you'll need to buy some memory cards to put them on. A 1 gig card is all you need. I have several because I like my maps. They cost $20.00 to $40.00 each. I also bought a RAM suction cup holder for my vehicle and my boat. Another $50.00. NiMH batteries will power your new GPS like nothing else. They can be recharged several hundred times, so a good investment, but yet another expense. A pack of 4 decent batteries cost about $15.00. You'll need a charger too. I'm not up on my battery charger prices because I have several of them from all of the cameras that I've bought over the years. Lastly I bought a vehicle cigarette lighter power plug in. Another $20.00 or so. I'm not really concerned about saving batteries, but when the GPS is plugged into the cigarette adapter, the back light stays on all the time. Another must have if you're navigating at night.

If I was in need of a GPS, I would check online, you can get a much better price and with the dollar exchange, you can save lots. I just googled Garmin gpsmap 60csx and Amazon.com is selling them for $299. That's a great deal.

Deano. When I bought my 60, I could have got a better price on line. But what would I have to do if I bought my GPS from a guy in Texas, for example, if my GPS malfunctioned after a month or two? Things such as this I prefer to buy local from a well reputed firm so that if a problem arises, I can deal with it locally. That peace of mind is worth a few extra bucks to me.

Listen to Dan !

When I bought mine .. the cards were a $100 and the MapCreate were close to $300 .. so it a good deal !

Course now that I have NOW dang HEAT ... my thinking isnt quite as clear as it used to be so take the advice with just a pinch of salt :)

I also paid top dollar for mine when I bought it Dan, but Garmin is awesome with warranty and if you have any problems, you can deal with them directly through there web site. I wouldn't even waste my time with where I purchased mine, they'd probably tell me to contact Garmin anyways.

Maps, rechargeable batteries, lighter plugin and ram mounts will all be extra expenses, but they'll be worth every penny. They totally make the garmin unit shine for all uses.

Listen to Dan !

When I bought mine .. the cards were a $100 and the MapCreate were close to $300 .. so it a good deal !

Course now that I have NOW dang HEAT ... my thinking isnt quite as clear as it used to be so take the advice with just a pinch of salt :)

But at least you can still find your way around the house with the GPS. Good luck with the furnace situation Bud...

Garmin has this trick satellite receiver that pulls signals outa the ddep mud, no problems, extremely sensitive. The chipset is called SiRs, and is likely licensed to other mfrs, but that is the deal, and not available on all Garmin units. The 76 CSX has this feature, among others.

Garmin has this trick satellite receiver that pulls signals outa the ddep mud, no problems, extremely sensitive. The chipset is called SiRs

Actually, the correct term is SiRF. And it may be on it's way out. News has it that there's better technology out now.

Read more about SiRF HERE

Appreciate the correction and the update, DanC. Thank you.

Still don't understand how these commercial receivers can receive signals that are 1/10 the strength of the background noise? I know about spread spectrum technology, but that is some madd skillz fer shizzle.

I think that your link is older than my gps, gots the SiRF II in my machine, just like you recommended, works great.

Edited by douG

My mistake, DanC.

I said SiRF II when I meant SiRF III, and you saw that right away.

"The Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx updates the Garmin GPSMAP 76CS with two major improvements. First, the 76CSx includes the SiRFSTAR III chipset, which has been getting rave reviews for its fast acquisition time and awesome coverage under canopy, in urban canyons and even indoors!...." That's what I have!

I agree with DanC that SiRF III is the cat's meow. Good call.

I will no longer brag, but will continue to try to advise from my limited point of view.

Appreciate your recommendations, DanC.

Edited by douG

Check Radioworld to compare. Great prices and local (for us GTA folks). I have heard their return policy is not so great, though. I bought my fish-finder from them at last year's Fishing Show and have had no problems.

I was told by Bass Pro that they would price match a Radioworld price if you brought in the add. I think they had the Garmin 76CSx for $449, while Radioworld is $349. If you have any gift certificates, Bass Pro may be your best bet.

If you do go with LeBaron's, invest in the Club Card which gives you 10% off non-sale items. Worth the $25 on the purchase of an expensive item, plus the other purchases you make. They bumped it up to 20% off this past December.

Jon

Lebarons bumped the card up to 10% from 7%

and had a sale where selective items you could get 20%

off if you were a card holder..........but at times the card is a real good deal and I can't believe I am saying this

but they are becoming friendly and have better service in the Markham store then they ever did..don't know how that happened but there I said it

Lebarons bumped the card up to 10% from 7%

and had a sale where selective items you could get 20%

off if you were a card holder..........but at times the card is a real good deal and I can't believe I am saying this

but they are becoming friendly and have better service in the Markham store then they ever did..don't know how that happened but there I said it

Some people have been known to get soft and mellow the more they age... :whistling: