Portable Fish hut Registry

Fish Farmer

yeah I talked to a CO and he said all huts greater then 21.5, if they touch the ice they need numbers

and that is the problem with the MNR each person that works for them seem to have the right to interpret the regs how they see fit

I am trying to get an answer in writing one way or the other

well this is a joke and a half!

i just bought a small "2-person" dome tent (7' X 5' - 35 sq. ft.) and modified it enough so that i can use it as a portable fish hut. that being said, it is SMALL, and will be a struggle to get 2 people in, let alone 2 people in comfortably. i'm going to be fishing at least 4 different lakes this winter... I'm not spending money to register a $30 TENT for 4 different bodies of water! what kind of dope are these people smoking? if they keep making up rules like this, they better start supplying the rest of us with their stuff.

i'll be out next monday, in my UNREGISTERED tent!

Guest skeeter99

WHOA!!!!!

has anybody read it thouroghly yet!!!

You do not need to register an ice hut if it is a tent made of cloth or synthetic fabric that has a base area of two square metres (21.5 square feet) or less when erected.

***you do not need to register an ice hut if it is a tent made of cloth or sythetic fiber**** STOP!!!!

I dont know my fish trap and all the other portables are made of cloth or sythetic so it is irrelevant what size it is, anyway got checked by the CO's 3 times so far this winter and apparently any portable is fine (my buddy asked) what they are trying to eliminate is the homemade (dewalt) remember those plans on the net a few years back, since they have a tarp they were under old regs considered portable and were left on the ice all the time and even when spring came guys did not care and they had to clean up

Skeeter99, I called the 1800 MNR line and the GIRL there told me with her own lips, if you go on the ice with a hut that is bigger than 2 square meters, your going to get fined. Skeeter99 I hope your right because I'll be out on Cooks Sat. with NO NUMBER on the side of my CLAM GUIDE.

Gone fishin, I wish you were there on Sat. with me. We'll make a stand. What a bunch of Horse DO DO!

What is happening with this country!!!!! :wallbash:

Who's running it. <_<

I'm glad I don't have much longer.

I feel for the younger KIDS.

"Roy"

I like your idea, But my clam is hard enough to pull just with my rod in it.

"Terry" We got to by an 8 wheel Argo to haul all that paint around LOL

"You do not need to register an ice hut if it is a tent made of cloth or synthetic fabric that has a base area of two square metres (21.5 square feet) or less when erected."

skeeter99 read it again

***you do not need to register an ice hut if it is a tent made of cloth or synthetic fiber**** that has a base area of two square metres (21.5 square feet) or less when erected."

MY clam that is a tent type portable hut that is made of synthetic fiber but but but IS bigger than 21 sq ft when erected, SO I need to register it

I have know idea what you are trying to saySTOP/u]

if you had words of widom that has be miss understood please explain but I missed it

Guest skeeter99

hey

the CO said we were fine

if I remeber correclty here are his words

"because it is tent like material and it is temporary...he mumbled something else....you leave with it you are okay but if you left it out you would need to register it..... it is the same as it was before regarding portables"

hey maybe he did not read the memo on the new regs, he files all his email in the D bin

and yes most of the portables are bigger than what the mnr states is registerable

I have not heard of anyone getting warned, fined etc.. at all this year and there are more portables out on lakes now then there are ice huts

maybe it is there as a guideline for the co's if they see some structure they dont like then they enforce

yeah, I do agree with what you are saying

but

I asked a CO and he told me that the new reg states we need to register the portables huts, I did not ask if he would be enforcing the law..

and Fish Farmer called and got the same answer

so at this time, I think we have to assume that we need to register them

I have sent an email and I am hoping I can get someone to reply in writing that we do not need to register them if we do no leave them on the ice unattended over night....but I need it in writing to carry with me while on the ice

I hope they are not this anal

I think this new reg has been written wrong myself......but.....who knows with those guys.

Regardless of whether we have to register them or not......is it really that big of a deal?

Just call in, get the number, print it off on a piece of paper and stick it in the slot on your portable............not that hard really.....is it? So you may have to get different numbers for different lakes.......oh well........at least its free.

The Clams have a plastic slot on the outside to put the numbers in........don't they? My Eskimo does anyways......

I won't be registering mine unless I get warned by a CO first.......I just don't see any reason to register a hut I'm taking in and out each trip. A lot of times I don't even put it up......I just use the sled to carry my gear out.....

Sinker

Hearingfish, I called this afternoon. They told me it doesn't matter. If you set foot on the ice with your portable, it's got to be registered. Leaving it there or NOT.

Fish Farmer, I guess my portable hut was just under the size limit and they told me if I planned to remove it each time then I don't need the number unless I'm leaving it out. They told me the number is a permanent number for the hut and is good for anywhere in Ontario, but I will need to inform them if I'm moving it to another district for ice fishing.

So I got a number just in case.

Hello All,

Yep, another ridiculous rule to add to the lengthy list we already have.. <_<

I understand the reasoning if a hut is being left out overnight, or if it is one of the "home-made" plastic/tarp jobbies that are many times left on the ice to melt away.

Will be interesting to see what the backlash of this new "law" is, and how much enforcement will be used.

On a brighter note, my HT Polar Escape X-Press hut comes in with a base of 90" x 33", or 20.625 feet. So it appears that I just squeak in under the limit. :thumbsup_anim:

I will be taking the catalog page with me on each trip, as it states the base size in black and white, just in case they want to push me on the issue...

I can't be that hard on the Ministry this year - they are finally allowing us folk in Ottawa to fish bass on inland lakes beyond Oct. 15! (Another ridiculous law that finally got amended...)

Good Fishing,

Justin

yeah, I think it is just written wrong, but what if they decide to fine you not warn you..$150.00 isn't cheap in my world, so I don't want the fine

and I am not sure about huts but with boats the numbers on a piece of paper will not cut it

they need to be a certain size and permanent in nature and fastened in a permanent way to be legal ...I don't know but I can see huts having somewhat the same law.....and I can see them not excepting a piece of paper and tape holding it to any fish hut on the ice......

but you are right it may not be a big deal but if we don't approach them with the attitude that it's a big deal, they will not respond

and the best end to this is they rescind the law

This is very strange....I just received a call (today at 09:30) from the North Bay MNR Enforcement Supervisor who was returning my message I left regarding this Fish hut Registry issue yesterday...

He informed me that portable huts (he used the example of "Clams") that are out for day outings only, do NOT need to be registered..

The reg states:

You do not need to register an ice hut if it is a tent made of cloth

or synthetic fabric that has a base area of two square metres

(21.5 square feet) or less when erected.

This reg is more for the individuals that set-up tents (canvas, plastic..etc..) and leave them out on the ice for extended periods.

I'm in total argeeance with this reg. We have had repeated issues year after year with having to go out on the ice here on the Ottawa R. after the season closes and drag back other anglers remains of makeshift tents made from 2x2s and vapor barrier and even big tarps that they left to rot on the ice!! :angry::angry:

yes the same regs has been posted here about 10 times ,but in no way supports what you are stating

and

"This reg is more for the individuals that set-up tents (canvas, plastic..etc..) and leave them out on the ice for extended periods." says you, not the regs..I agree that is what it should be but the regs do not state it

and if you read all the post you will see that we have had many other MNR officials give different answers

so it is still up in the air..we need it in writing to protect our selves from COs that don't know