Bass Fishing- First Fish of 2008

Garry2Rs

Last Friday we went out fishing for three hours.

It was partly cloudy with a stiff breeze. Buck and I headed up the Colorado River to Ferguson Lake, a muddy backwater.

There were three other boats in the area, but we found a stump field in 3 to 9 feet of water that looked promising.

FergusonLkColoradoRiver.jpg

A low front was moving in and we hoped to connect with fish feeding before the storm.

Unfortunately we had no luck on plastic's, hard crankbaits, soft crankbaits or wire baits and called it a day after only three hours.

Saturday was a total blowout, literately, with winds so strong that they shook the trailer...A good day to stay home and catch some NFL Playoff Football.

That evening we eagerly tuned-in to see what the weatherman would be calling for in the morning.

"Overcast, with the possibility of rain, and winds of 20 mph or more." Was what they said.

I liked the idea of the cloud cover that would accompany the rain, and rain down here is generally just a sprinkle, but high winds make casting and boat control difficult.

Based on that information, I decided to stay home and watch the playoff games again.

In the morning it was cloudy as predicted but, when I put Buck outside before breakfast, it was calm and quite warm, 58F.

How could I stay home on a day like this?

Realizing that this calm might be short lived, we quickly hit the trail.

When we launched the breeze was just starting to pick-up.

Our plan was a short "milk run" hitting a couple of places that had worked for us before.

This would get us off the water before those 20 mph winds hit and in time for the late game on TV...GRIN.

The first stop was on a spot where we had caught a fish back in late November.

That bass had hit a Bill Lewis Rattle-Trap in Blue Shiner pattern.

Image-05.jpg

Today, there was nothing doing along that bank.

On the other side of the same channel we had caught another good fish on a 3/8 ounce Spro version of the Blue Shiner.

Caughthere2.jpg

NewPB.jpg

I like the Spro bait because it's heavily weighted in the nose, and will settle to the bottom head down and hooks up, usually without falling over. That makes it excellent for ripping. I'm also trying a brand new type of Spiderwire braid, called "Ultracast Invisi-braid." The line is a lot like Fireline Crystal, but is braided...It's okay, but so far I still like Powerpro better. The weave on the new line doesn't seem as tight as Power Pro, so I have had the hook point go through the line a couple of times.

On my second cast to this area, the bait stopped dead.

I pulled...nothing...I pulled again, the bait pulled back and I felt head shake.

Okay, this one had shoulders...

It was a heavy fish, and I was on my own.

I ordered Buck onto the lowest deck area, to try to keep him in the boat.

The line moved toward deeper water...Through the line I could feel that the fish was going to jump.

I lowered the rod tip and cranked fast.

A big head and about a foot of fish cleared the surface, in what might best be described as an elevated roll.

From his spot on the lower deck where I had maneuvered him, Buck cleared the gunnel's in a single bound!

The fish moved left fast as Buck headed right toward the splash down point.

The fish swirled again closer to and behind the boat...

I cranked...

Buck changed direction to intercept.

I couldn't lift the fish into the boat with the rod tip alone, so there were a couple of interesting moments beside the boat as dog and fish closed on each other.

However thanks to treble hooks and 30 pound braid I was able to grab the line and haul this lunker over the side.

LMBassJan060822X15.jpg

It measured 21 to 22 inches, with a girth of 15 inches...This would make it easily a 6 pound fish.

LMBass22X15.jpg

Here's a view of the shoreline...

DSCN1250.jpg

The fish hit in the same area where the closest little black Coots are sitting.

Garry2R's