fishing boxing day

Terry

I have drilled a few holes the last few days. The ice is terrible. You may find ice that will hold you but there is no good ice. ATV on simcoe is not for me. There is ice then slush and then snow and ice on top of that. Its a real mess.

Ice fishing is off to a slow start.

IT seems that the reports are all so varied,terry !!!! ive heard guys say that there is lots ,and then guys saying that the ice is 3inches in place so it must depend on what area you are going to,,,its such a big lake i mean look at how the ice can vary,what we all need is pictures,of some ice thickness,as in a certain area it would give a preety good idea of how much there im wanting to go as well,this weekend but dont know about all the areas either?????

Terry, think of it this way. No matter now much you want to get out fishing, and wanting to use your quad to get there, .........is it INSURED for said purpose? Usually insurance companies will want you to have an "all perils" policy on ice. My quad insurance does not have that, nor does my snowmobile which I have owned since 1990, and I drive both of them on ice.

But, I make sure that the ice is solid, and I am not going to encounter any problems. If its not 1.5 ft. thick, I do not take my machines on the ice. I was out fishing last saturday, and the report was 12" of ice, thats lots for a snowmobile or quad, but ice thickness varies on location, so we walked out.

Do you want to take that chance with your quad, it is only about a year and a bit old now, isn't it? Cost you about 6 grand or more????

Play it safe, no matter what.

yeah, I know..but I have a need to get out..LOL

Brian, the last time I used my spud bar I thought the ice was thicker and one light smack and it went through the ice and never stopped..lost my grip and away it went....guess I will need to buy another one

Terry a new spud bar is about $25 bucks man !!!!! .....it did save my life once ....when i fell in,through the thin ice,i was in about 8ft of water my spud bar was on my wrist,with the little rope that comes with it...and i used the spud bar to push on the bottom of the lake to get me back on top of the ice....it was along walk back to the truck man !!!! i was frozen solid...anyway sorry for rambling on,like brian said a spud is essential for first ice !!!!! you should have asked santa for one terry ...LOL..LOL :santa:

Guest gbfisher

They are driving on the ice from Virginia to the island. Im sure its OK for a quad. Ejoy your day. I heard even out by Port Bolster there is a few good inches of ice. You can get out to 20 fow no problem. Hey if ya go through...Your machine floats doesnt it??