electric fillet knifes???

kickingfrog

I've been using a Rapala ProGuide Deluxe Electric Fillet Knife Set for 2 years. These electric filleting knives facilitate cleaning fish quickly. Last summer, after a great morning of walleye fishing for 4 of us, I cleaned 24 walleye. Glad I wasn't limited to using a blade. And on that particular occasion, I was powering my Rapala ProGuide with a 12 volt battery. Great gift regardless the occasion. Here's a web reference to a site that has a video demonstrating cleaning a northern with an electric filleting knife - see http://www.why-fish.com/

It's hard to find, I had to get my local tackle shop to order it for me but Rapala makes an electric rechargable. It is great comes with two batteries charger case 6 inch and 8 inch blades. Not cheap around $110 if I remember correctly but works awesome when you head North away from the modern convenience of electricity. Also I find it a bit heavier but not having the cord dangle in your way makes up for it.

I dont know about the rest of you,s,but I still have my original Rapala from 25 years ago (chewed handle from my old lab pup. Dont ask),my pop has one even older.

I was taught (by my pop) to do it the old fashion way, and I really enjoy filleting my catch.

This is almost as bad as the new Monopily (sp?) game that uses a debit card now to buy/sell.

Whats this world coming too??????????????????????????????

Guess it,s just me, I like to keep the tradition alive.

I'm with you Misfish. I have the/a original rapala model with the birch handle that was my dads and a smaller one (4 inch blade maybe) that was my grandfather's "grouse" knife. We'll see how my brother likes it, as I said I don't clean too many big messes of fish anymore (that's what little brothers are for right?), so I don't think it's of much use to me anyway.

My brother swears by his electric. Myself I just enjoy getting out the wooden handled rapala and doing it manually. Get home, get organised, pour a coffee or a coffee and bailey's and sit down and relax and clean fish.

But that's just me. Prefer a standard car to an automatic as well. Any my house will NEVER have a dishwasher...cept for the wife or myself.

Keep it simple.

....Electric, never. Give me a good sharp fillet knife anytime. I don't mess with cutting off the rib cage then having to go back to remove it. A good knife lets me work around the ribs leaving them on the fish. A couple of quick slices and a some what duller knife for skinning and Bobs your Uncle. :D