Predator Mouse Question

Dave. I think that people are putting too much thought into detail these days. I think that the way that you present your mouse patterns are much more important than the fact that it has no ears. I think that you'll be fine. Let us know your success. By the way, mouse patterns are awesome for Brook Trout. Let me know if you could manage to tie a few on a 1/4 oz jig head. I could be interested.

Dave. I think that people are putting too much thought into detail these days. I think that the way that you present your mouse patterns are much more important than the fact that it has no ears. I think that you'll be fine. Let us know your success. By the way, mouse patterns are awesome for Brook Trout. Let me know if you could manage to tie a few on a 1/4 oz jig head. I could be interested.

Thanks Dan, I know brookies love mice, but I'm afraid there aren't too many brookies big enough around southern ontario that'll take mice.....

nothing on a jig head yet, i do have them on 4x, 2x and 4 and 6 streamer hooks

Thanks Dan, I know brookies love mice, but I'm afraid there aren't too many brookies big enough around southern ontario that'll take mice.....

Forget about the brookies...Go for the big double digit resident browns...The ones that prefer to eat a chunky steak instead of a sausage roll.

I don't fly fish much for anything other than steelhead, lake-run browns, carp and salmon. My friends never had much luck with mice patterns for brookies in Ontario...Labrador and northern BC/Alaska is another story - Even small fish take them there. Perhaps it has something to do with availability of the food source or the fact that a lot of our really big brookies live in large lakes where voles and other rodents usually don't get washed into the water or cross big bodies of water to get to the other side. It's of course, only speculation...Would love to see some of your flies though...Currently working on a surface pattern to get some of the local steelhead off the top.

I tied up a mouse pattern last night for a guy who wants to fish inland brookies so I made it a little smaller than the ones I tie for the Nipigon. Mind you, I never caught a brookie on one yet. I still think they would work great. Dan is right...the details are not as important as the flat belly. I actually tie in light coloured deer hair for the belly and trim it flat so the mouse rides on the surface. For the ears, I use tan 1/8th foam sheets from the craft store. I have never tied a jig head mouse but I think that has real potential.

mice_w.jpg

weed gaurds like the one on the flies posted are usually tied with 20lb or heavier mono. I tie mine with Flouro just for an added touch. Take a 4-6 inch length of heavy mono and tie it on the body as if you wanted to make it a long tailwith it. Then tie the fly as per normal and finish up to the head. Before cutting the thread bring the tag end of the mono (sticking out as the long tasil piece) up to the eye of the hook and secure with a few more wraps of thread. Cut thread and expoxy the head wrappings

I usually wrap the mono weed gaurd further down the bend in the hook so the line gets pointed in the right direction to follow the hook.

I didn't have any 20 lb mono or flouro so I used 20 lb amnesia. Fang has a good description to tie in the weed guard.

Sometimes I kink the mono about a 1/4" from the end and put it through the eye of the hook temporarily then bend the mono around the curve of the hook and up to the tie in spot on the hook shaft. I let go of the eye end and tie in the shaft end This gives the length of the weed guard with the eye tie-in done last at the kink. I use this method when there is a lot of material or detail at the head of the fly that may be getting in the way.

Alan

ive been tying up mouse patterns for a while this winter, they work great on bass, pike, and ive heard browns love them too. for the ears i use a piece or rabbit hide cut to shape and i do the same for the tail. the picture i have was taken with my cell phone so the quality is really bad but it gives u an idea, i just finished this one.

mousefly.jpg

Edited by pikeie