Anyone, Ever, Really prepared for this SHTUFF !

brickNblock

'morning all...

To drive in or not....this is the question.

My question this morning anyway.

I live out in Quinte West and we get some pretty decent plowing done...much the same them folks up Penetang way from what Ive read but....

My place of work for the next 2 weeks is near Greenwood and O'Connor,

(Toronto's north east end)....this is probably close to 200km's away.

Got decent weight in the back of the Blazer, a bucket of road salt too, shovel, towing chain, flares, blanket and a full 'Jerrycan'.........ahhhhh, snow tires too........

Im nervous due to some of my fellow travellers that overtake me however or them friends along the road who dont signal....All it takes is one of our regular commuting folks out there to screw up and all around him are finished......

Spoke to the builder last night as well.......

'Have you got the tarps up yet? ....I asked.

Yessir was the reply...right to the roof......Well, well...decent of you...

'How about heat?" ...I asked.....

Well..........we werent expecting this cold so early he says.......no heat till after X-mas is what the budget says.

I replied....

'What if its warmer after X-mas!".......NO REPLY.

NO matter what...just like so many drivers.....

Just so many folks out there are never prepared......

What do you have in your trunk for safety on the icy roads?

BE SAFE OUT THERE FOLKS.......

Drive safely...give yourself plenty, plenty of distance because there are many fools out there. As far as what I have in my trunk...I have a blanket. Pretty sad, that will be changing soon. Was talking with a girlfriend about that subject yesterday and one thing she did not have was a candle...for a little bit of heat.

I would be interested myself in knowing what one should have.

Mornin Pete, were getting some light snow here in the east end right now, so it'll probably slow down the morning drive again today, but the roads around here are in good shape.

Good to see your prepared for the hiway and I usually carry the same things you have, and if I'm travelling outta town I carry extra clothing, just in case......extra parka, gloves, boots, touque.

I think one of the worst mistakes folks make is NOT having winter tires on their vehicles, and thinking "all season tires" actually means ALL seasons. There'd be a whole bunch less problems if folks would just spend a bit of money and use proper tires during the winter months. Nuthin worse than being stuck behind someone who can't get up a small hill because his car is still rigged for July driving.

Edited by lew

Mornin Pete, were getting some light snow here in the east end right now, so it'll probably slow down the morning drive again today, but the roads around here are in good shape.

Good to see your prepared for the hiway and I usually carry the same things you have, and if I'm travelling outta town I carry extra clothing, just in case......extra parka, gloves, boots, touque.

I think one of the worst mistakes folks make is NOT having winter tires on their vehicles, and thinking "all season tires" actually means ALL seasons. There'd be a whole bunch less problems if folks would just spend a bit of money and use proper tires during the winter months. Nuthin worse than being stuck behind someone who can't get up a small hill because his car is still rigged for July driving.

Thanks for the Toronto update Lew......it just may have pursuaded me to make the drive.

I hear you on the extra clothes.....after 30+ yrs in my trade I learned long ago about the extra clothes/footwear.......gloves etc...even in summer.

Twilight........hope you pack a little more then a blanket after today.

OH well......HiHo-HiHo ...I'm heading out.

If it doesnt climb above -4 it will be in vain...a near 400km waste of time and near $45 in gas.

Maybe Im going to think this one out a little more....

Supposed to get a little nicer towards end of the week.....just work through the weekend.

Got tons of ice to chip off my drivway right now anyway...and firewood to cut. HmmmmH?????????

Hey Pete, not sure if it's going to warm up enough for you to be able to do any work in T.O. , not supposed to get warmer than -2 C, I'd stay home if I were you ;)

Nancy, I carry a set of booster cables, good first aid kit, candle, energy bar or something similar, a tin can, some hot chocolate, a blanket and a change of clothes, tow rope, shovel, basic tools, flashlight, and I'm sure a few other things as well :)

Lew, this year will be the first time I get winter tires. I am one of those that convinced myself I didn't need them if I had good all seasons. I have never had a problem over the years, living in the city and up here, but, after talking to a couple of co-workers who also commute and changed to winter tires a year or two ago, I have decided to make the switch...and go figure, now I drive a 4 wheel drive :P I'm hoping to get them on this week.

Maureen

Mo, your gonna see a huge difference with the winter tires. LOTS better traction, but you'll also notice you have much better steering control too as the front tires will also bite into the snow and stop you from sliding off the road on a curve......hopefully ;)

Pete....sounds like you've left already, but if you need a place to hang out on the way back home, give me a call. You are even welcome to stay the night if that helps. That offer is good for the whole time you are on this job. I'll see if I still have your cell number and give you a call.

I was at CT the other day and picked up this thing called ? "Traction Aid" is for when your car slides into a ditch or when you need traction to get out of a jam. They only had like 3 left when I checked. I used to many times to get out of parking lots when I get plowed in. Or when your parked in water and the next morning your car is stuck in ice when the nights freeze over..

Mo, your gonna see a huge difference with the winter tires. LOTS better traction, but you'll also notice you have much better steering control too as the front tires will also bite into the snow and stop you from sliding off the road on a curve......hopefully ;)

Made the appt for the Michelin X ice tires to be put on Thursday after work....not cheap, but cheaper than my deductable ;)

Maureen

snow tires, recovery point in rear, installing front tow hooks, tools, tow rope, usually have my survival suit, extra clothes in the truck, candle remannts of dinner(s) :rolleyes:

need new booster cables and a come-along would be nice though!!

Pete....sounds like you've left already, but if you need a place to hang out on the way back home, give me a call. You are even welcome to stay the night if that helps. That offer is good for the whole time you are on this job. I'll see if I still have your cell number and give you a call.

Ahhhhhhh...Cliff....Carol.......

Cliff......thankyou ever so much there Bud.

Very close to where Ill be working is both my parents and one of my brothers.

Your offer, generous as well totally unbelievably awesome is noted and greatly thanked.

Maybe we'll do one of the nights.....most likely Ill be there right up until christmas....

I love being home with the wifey.but weather/road conditions ......SPEW!

No work today..........

We have 2 bushcords of 15" mix HW....but they must be split 2-3 times more for our needs and thats what Im doing for the day.........I couldnt expect Charmaine to be out there cutting it.....If I can get a weeks worth done today Ill be happy.

Cliff.........thanks again for your offer.............PM comming.