2008/2009 MNR REGS

DMASSE

Hello OFNers

Just a quick note that Al Flaherty's Outdoor store on Dufferin Street has the new 2008-09 MNR fishing regs...

Some interesting changes and some new and good changes..

I am responding to about 15 PM's about the regs... Drop by and grab one if your downtown TO

Dave

49 meg!

...and 10 pages more than the old regs. Glad less zones = less regs. Haven't read it yet...but guessing the exemption pages are immense!

I just browsed through the entire file. It seems the 10 extra pages are exceptions...I dont think there are more...just that the printing is larger and much easier to read.

Main thing I've noticed so far is the bass tourney guys are finally off the hook for the "culling" debate.

Generally, daily catch limits include all fish that are retained for any period

of time and not immediately released.

Anglers fishing from a boat may now catch and retain, and selectively live

release, more walleye, northern pike, largemouth or smallmouth bass than

the daily limit, provided:

(a) the fish are held alive in a livewell with a mechanical aerator operating

at all times,

(B) the fish comply with any applicable size limits,

© the sport or conservation fishing licence daily catch and retain limits

for walleye or northern pike are not exceeded at any one time,

(d) no more than six largemouth or smallmouth bass (or any combination)

caught under a sport fishing licence are retained at any one time, and

(e) the conservation fishing licence catch and retain limits for largemouth

and smallmouth bass (or any combination) are not exceeded at any

one time.

Anglers are reminded to closely monitor the condition of fish held in a livewell.

Only fish that are in such a condition that they will survive may be released

(see Tips on Live Release of Fish, page 10). Releasing a fish that will not survive

and allowing the flesh of that fish to be wasted is an offence. Any fish not

live-released are part of your daily catch and retain limit

I also note that every winter outfitter / ice hut operators worst nightmare is now official as well. You can only fish Lake Trout for one month in the winter in all of zone 11.. with the exception of 11 lakes (only one of I've ever heard of ). Season is Feb 15th to 3rd Sunday in March. This reg use to only apply to Lake Temagami. Now it's the entire region from South of Nipissing (Northern Algonquin park boundry) all the way up to New Liskeard.

No more than six at a time, meaning that we catch our five, then keep fishing for our 6th fish, we still have to cull immediately, otherwise we're fishing for our 7th fish, no change there.

There is a change...they've put it in print and made it "legal". Before..technically you were beyond your daily possession limits by retaining them in your livewell and trading out fish as the day went on...with say 30 fish "possessed" thru the day. Now you're good as gold as long as you never have more than 5 in there at one time..even if you've "possessed" 200 for the day.

Next time around...maybe they'll include driving the boat thru the park to the weigh in..."technically" illegally transporting fish over land. They should have covered that one too, so all the scuttlebutt is put to rest for good.

Note... I have no issues with any of the above. It's no different IMHO with the guy that catches and throws back 30 trout a day. The bass have a better chance of survival than any of the mentioned fish do..in a livewell.

iGOT MINE TODAY AT GAGNONS SPORTS IN OSHAWA....THEY HAVE ABOUT 4 BOXES OF THEM,AND THEY ARE ALOT EASIER TO UNDERSTAND,AND PRETTY SIMPLE TOO.....

Hey Shawn,

Thanks for stopping by last night and giving us a copy of the regs! It was great chatting with you....talk to you later bud.

Cliff

So after sept. 30 there is no catch limit for nottawasaga steelhead between the boyne and the pine?Are you still allowed to catch and release??

I think Yes,..or else they would have made it a sanctuary, long time comin for that section of river. I beleive its the same as muskie reg's of catch and possession of 0, but obviously can still fish for them.

Nice to see they cut the limits for rainbow in Zone 16 down to 2 for sport and 1 for conservation :thumbsup_anim:

Burt :)

It always was as far as i know,...it was just mixed in with the salmon limits, but you couldnt have more than 2 rainbow for for sport license before anyways.

Yes, only C&R will be permitted on the middle Notty. Kudos to the Nottawasaga Steelheaders as well as others for pushing for this long overdue regulation as this section of river holds wintering steelhead which were vulnerable to over harvest.

Unfortunately with the new regs, there are (what I can only assume to be) glaring errors and omissions to FMZ 16. The extended season as well as year-round season for steelhead on the Bighead are completely missing as is the year-round season for the lower Maitland and Saugeen (yet the extended season for the middle river for both still appears). A number of extended seasons on some other minor tributaries seem to be missing as well.

I am going to contact the MNR about this issue and I encourage all other concerned steelheaders to do so as well.

Edited by wallacio