Rod choices for Musky

2 tone z71

Well my first Musky season has come and gone ,may get out once more but its not looking good,anyhow ive invested a lot in tackle damm eye candy lol,but its time to get serious for next season,I want a new Rod/Reel Combo I use all St Croix equip at the moment with shimano reels but im open to suggestions whats better Baitcaster or spinning longer rod better or short and stout,ive got a bigger trolling reel now but I find it hard to cast,Id like to use the new combo for both casting once in awhile but mostly trolling,im not set on price but lets use 500.00 for starters

It all comes down to individual choice, but personally, I think your better off having different set-ups for different jobs. If your gonna be trolling large baits, you'll find a big reel with a power handle MUCH better for cranking them back to the boat, specially if you don't want to stop the boat everytime you need to clean off a weed or something.

My personal preferrence for trolling reels is a Shimano Tekota 600LC matched up on a Compre rod. Choice for trolling rod length is again a personal thing, but anywhere from 7 1/2' and up will work well.

Something like this would fall within your $500 budget too.

Cnv2089.jpg

Trouble is, a set-up like this is excellent for trolling, specially big baits with lotsa drag, but not really suitable for casting, and you'd be better off with a seperate outfit for that..

If your already using Shimano reels & St. Croix rods, you've got excellent equipment right there, assuming their in a size suitable for musky.

If your looking for a decent rod & reel casting combo that won't break your bank, BPS carries the Pete Maina series and for about $200 total, it's not a bad set up at all.

Great idea tethering the rod like that, lew. Wouldn't want to lose that combo!

2Tone, I've read alot about guys using fiberglass rods in fall for trolling. Also, longer/softer rods reduce snags and absorb more shock when a big fish hits. I don't know any models or numbers for you, I'll be looking at trolling set-ups very shortly. Up until now, I've been using the Maina combo without a problem and the 4.2:1 ratio can handle some of the bigger baits. I was trolling a 13in Grandma this weekend without a problem. I just wish a lunge would have taken it, I could give you a better idea how it handled!!!

Jigger im in Brooklin as im writing this, picked up a 18 ft Panther speedboat for a winter project,heading home tommorow thanks fellas for the info ill check out the Mania combos next time im in Bass Pro, u fellas mention those shimano Compre rods alot they that nice

For the $ Though I might be just speakin from my own exp...

The Shimano Compre, is hands down one of the best I've ever used. Though it is a tad heavier (Model depending) than a St.Croix, loaded with a 5600, or 6500 Abu (5600 casting) loaded for bear with 100lb Power Pro, I must say I'm just pleased with the over all. Even a 4600, for whippin plastics on shore in the eve for mid summer Lunge, The compre has certainly earned it's right for a stick in my books when chasin the toothies.

Compre and a 5600 (Pending where you shop) will still leave a bit O cash to buy a pice of eye candy or 2

F.F

I heart my St. Croix Glass Composite Muskie Trolling Rod.. it's 8' long, model # PGM80HM. It will troll the hardest pounding baits as well as the light stuff extremely well. I have it paired with an Okuma Convector CV30DLX (left handed line counter reel). If you don't need a linecounter, tough to go wrong with Penn reels.

If you're looking for a rod that will do both; troll and cast, try the 8' St. Croix Casting Rod, #PM80MHF. All graphite. It's great for bucktails, topwaters and will troll everything but the largest baits.

Edited by Raf

Just being carefull HH, I've heard of a couple expensive musky trolling outfits getting knocked loose from the Salties and ending up in the drink, and I didn't want to be the next casualty.

I got the tether idea from Richard Collins when I fished with him awhile back and decided to follow his lead. I made up a few of those for only a couple dollars, but it's pretty cheap insurance.

Their about 4' long and don't interfere with removing the rod from the holder at all, and can be quickly released from the brass snap when needed.

I added a piece of cable between the reel & reel seat with wire crimps to snap the tether to and it works perfectly.

Cnv2088.jpg

Edited by lew

Another vote for Compre rods and Shimano reels here. I have a couple of the Pete Maina combos and they have never given me trouble. The drags are good and they cast very well. The only negative side to the Maina combo that I could find was that the clicker is not very loud. Did you hear that Pete? It's still something very minor.

As far as tethering your equipment is concerned...DO IT. This year I put a SS cable to my bolt cutters and long nosed pliers. They're very easy to drop and forgetting about the expense, dropping your cutters in the water means cutting a trip short cause I can't see how you can continue muskie fishing without them.

Good luck.

Just being carefull HH, I've heard of a couple expensive musky trolling outfits getting knocked loose from the Salties and ending up in the drink, and I didn't want to be the next casualty.

I got the tether idea from Richard Collins when I fished with him awhile back and decided to follow his lead. I made up a few of those for only a couple dollars, but it's pretty cheap insurance.

Their about 4' long and don't interfere with removing the rod from the holder at all, and can be quickly released from the brass snap when needed.

I added a piece of cable between the reel & reel seat with wire crimps to snap the tether to and it works perfectly.

Cnv2088.jpg

Trojan tacklkie has been making these for a while. I agree there worth there weight in gold.

http://www.trojantackle.ca/

Paul