Water pump- i dont know whats up!

BFSC Kevin

Soo.. just bought the boat like 3 weeks ago or so..

everything on it is pretty much set.. except adding the extras..

and except checking over the motor again..

well when i bought it, the water was pumping out fine, during the brief 10 seconds that the owner showed me it running..

now when i'm trying to run it right now, its not going!

i run it for 20 seconds and no water is pumping out.. i tried to stick a thin mire up it, and it goes up about 10 cm then can't go up anymore..

so either the pee hole is clogged or i need to change the impeller.. or i didn't let it run long enough?

any ideas out there?

oh and its a 1989 merc 2 stroke 60hp.

thanks!

LOL!

i put on the bunny ears...

and i'm in Toronto and it has dropped below zero yet..

so it can't be frozen...

yes, Wayne, i was thinking perhaps it hasn't warmed up yet.. but 20 seconds not long enough to warm up?

what should the threshold be then? HOw long should i let it go before i cause real damage because the impeller was actually broken and not because of the thremostat not being warmed up yet...?

Have you got extra water flooding out of the muffs...and they're in the right intake spot... I'd let it run for awhile...not gonna cook the motor at these temps in a hurry. Take the cowling off..follow the "pee" line. Does it go into a housing before the engine itself..if so that's a thermostat...and like I said my old 9.8 doesn't pee in the fall until it warms up and opens...but then again it could be baffed as well...lol

I had an older Merc that did that to me and it was the thermostat that was stuck. When you had it going did you throttle up??? I kept the motor going for a while until I saw some water splashing on the motor and it was sizzling. I called my buddy who knows motors a bit more than me to come over and I soon as I started the motor and the water wasn't peeing he just grabbed the throttle and gave it a shot and the water started peeing and it never happened again after that.

My '91 merc 25 hp had a thermostat and in cool weather would not piss untill I had her up to about 1/3 throtle for a bit. and on cold days would piss then stop and piss again, the thermostat was doing its job.

The first time I tried it, it threw me off, thought that I needed a new impeller, took it to the mechanic and he told me about it having a thermostat, felt stupid, but went fishing!

Entropy

I have an 85 hp engine, and water muff does not work irregarldess how strong the water pressure is, so I have to take the boat to the nearest water and submerged the engine to test anything.

I can run my 150HP merc off muffs... don't know why you can't run an 85... it doesn't need high pressure... WOT on a motor is not recommended with muffs....

I had a similiar problem in the spring with my 04 merc, took it in for a impellar only to find out it was a blockage, changed the impellar anyway's.It does'nt take much to cause a blockage try blowing thru the tube to see if it's restricted, being a older motor it may need to be idled up to pick up the water(impellar shrinkage due to age)