Fall Pike Questions

Rich

Hey all..

I'm just getting into pike fishing again this year and haven't had much experience fishing them in the fall when the water cools like it has recently. I'm wondering if trolling is still productive this year with spinnerbaits and such, and if so should the troll be slowed down, sped up, kept the same, or what? Or would casting jerkbaits be more effective?

Any info on late season pike would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Here's what i do ... Walleye is closed here now, I've caught alot of nice sized pike while jiggin'

for Walleye , Pike although is still open.. I've upsized my Minnow to large shiners and sucker minnows..5" or so . I'm getting the odd Momma Walleye.. but quick limits of larger pike

27" - 33" 5 - 10 lbs... I use the same techniques I use for Walleye , just heavier gear.

In the river ,I've found them in 18 feet , they've been there for 2 weeks.

In the lake 10 feet or so.

Slow trolled large Williams Wabler has been good to me as well.

Tomorrow is my last day out before putting the boat to bed...

I'll try a Live Lindy to see if i can coax a trophy..

With the Kawarthas about to shut down for the season most of my fishing in the future will center on Pike down along the Toronto waterfront. I'm going to try moving in the opposite direction than popular convention, throwing smaller lures (1/4 to 3/4 ounce (spinnerbaits, spinners, maybe even a zara spook) and possibly some live bait. It seems over the past 4 or 5 years of getting skunked along Lake O my bait size just keeps on escalating; I'm going to try and go back to basics with a lighter rod, tackle and lures.

Rich, Husky Jerks, Kickin' Minnows, Deep X-Raps and X-Raps would be my first choices. Work them really slowly, at this time of the year I'll use a slow twitch pause retrieve with the suspending jerk baits, letting the bait pause for up to 5 or 6 seconds at times, this is generally a good tactic to get slow following Pike that you may not even see to hit. My colours of choice for the jerk baits are Perch, Silver/Black, Silver/Blue, Orange, and Tennesee Shad. For the Deep X-Raps and Kickin' Minnows I would use a slow steady retrieve, occasional pauses for the Deep X-Rap, same colours as above and Purple/White for the Kickin' Minnows.

Good luck!

Cheers, Shaun