Rank your year

mistyjr1

In 2006 I vowed to make time for fishing and I had a good year but 2007 has been my best ever.

It's been a year of firsts and personal bests for myself and guests.

I'm fishing smarter through education. (thanks to OFC and getting out with other members)

I've met and fished with so many great people.

I ate some fish and didn't hate it - acquiring a taste perhaps?

I would also like to thank my wife and kids for being so supportive of my pastime.

-Brian

I have to comment on Cliffs message...

"So, if I had to rank it....it would be 9 out of 10. I have a chance to get an OFAH qualifying walleye, but whitefish will elude me this year....making me one short of all ten categories. Oh well...I'll have to get out on Simcoe next year to try to catch one!"

You do realize you can catch an amazing whitefish through the ice in Simcoe don't you? There is still hope and time to make that a 10/10.

Will let you know when I am heading up there!

Cheers,

Jen

I have to comment on Cliffs message...

"So, if I had to rank it....it would be 9 out of 10. I have a chance to get an OFAH qualifying walleye, but whitefish will elude me this year....making me one short of all ten categories. Oh well...I'll have to get out on Simcoe next year to try to catch one!"

You do realize you can catch an amazing whitefish through the ice in Simcoe don't you? There is still hope and time to make that a 10/10.

Will let you know when I am heading up there!

Cheers,

Jen

Hi Jen, it has to be before the end of the year... unless of course you have some serious connections the the MNR and Mother Nature, Cliff will have to wait for 2008. He's still an "Avid Angler" in my book tho!

-Brian

as of now, its a solid 9 outta 10

have been out almost every week of the year so far,

very few skunks

a coupla PBs

some success with new spots & new techniques

only some minor gear/equipment failures

introduced a few "newbies" to the sport and have gotten out with many other friends

cant wait for 08, but still have 2 months to finnish 07 on a strong high note....

My year started out fantastic, caught many limits of spring walleye on the Detroit River, then took advantage of Michigan’s C&R season (started in 2006) for bass & caught plenty of toad smallies up to 7 lbs on Lake St. Clair. My annual smallmouth trip for Michigan’s regular bass opener turn out to be a bust compared to years past but the C&R season made up for that. Started casting for Muskies on LSC for the first time & finally landed a musky that didn’t have my walleye or smallies in her mouth.

I had to take a break from fishing in late June early July to work on the “Honey do list” :( then when I head back out to fish my boat motor took a crap & ruined the rest of my season. :angry: I was able to get my son out to catch his first walleye so that made it all better. :D

I also made some new fishing buddies that I met on my LSC site. Next year I’ll have to fish with some OFNers. B)

The fishing was great ... it was the catching that was much less than desired. I had 4 weeks total north of the border this year and the numbers of fish caught was way down from prior years. Rideau in July is typically really good bass fishing wish some very nice buckets caught each year. This year, I was up for a week and it was not until Thursday (in advance of a cold front) did I land a couple nice fish. My trips to the French this year netted no skis and the largest pike was only 27". Our final two weeks on the French in September netted me a total of 8 fish and one 1 for my better half. I did manage 4 musky follows in those two weeks, but no takers. What a thrill of seeing one attack a top water .... too bad she missed the bait and never to be seen again. The highlight of this year was making it up to the Lakair GTG for the first time. Met a lot of OFC'rs, made a lot of friends, and looking forward to next year. With the help of Muskystudd, I did catch my first ever Walleye. So that was pretty cool, So, the fishing was great as I was able to be out on the water with my wife and many new friends. The catching, as had been said before, is simply a bonus. This was a great year for what was able to do and the friends I met. Give this year an A+.

Edited by Rich Clemens

Cant put a number on it ... it started off as a 0 - completely lost my mojo very early in the spring due to un-fishing related things (I suddenly just couldnt stand to be alone on the water)... and I actually missed opening day for the first time in 40+ years ... in fact if not for a few short get-aways to my beloved ZEC it would have stayed a 0 ... but I am itching to get on with life and finish this year with a bang... besides... I can smell the chrome in the air .. and I think I heard my mojo calling !!!! :)

I guess I'd rate it a 7. I learned alot this year, caught a pile of bass, a few walleye,one pike,drum at Port Maitland (bass too), a monster crappie in the Grand, fished with my dad a couple times,watched my kids catch a bunch of perch on Simcoe etc. but I never caught any real big fish and could never get my fishing buddy LJ to go to St. Clair or anywhere in the Kawarthas (there was always something). I really wanted a muskie this year, but never had enough chances really. When I was on vacation the only spot I had any real luck at was Murphy's Point. Stayed at Emily for a few days, but almost nobody was catching anything (we got panfish with the kids and lots of them, but that was it). Basically the same thing at Sandbanks except a nice largie in the pads. I'm hoping my son will want to go more next year (turning 10 in a couple weeks) and maybe we'll just go on our own. Met a new friend through this site in "Father of 3". Maybe we'll do a little more fishing next year too. Maybe I'll meet up with a few more of you next year ? Like I said, I'm trying and learning a ton. It could have been better, but it could have been worse too. I'm still hoping to get out again somewhere again plus try ice fishing for the first time ever this winter. So, fishing was fun, had half decent success but nothing to write home about. Camping and spending time with the kids was great. If I could get some big time success when on vacation with my kids in the boat that'd really be a blast. There's always next year (hoping for a 10 LOL).

This was my first year of regular fishing in almost ten years so can't rate it to other years.I didn't get to go for salmon or musky(which I would really like to do) but I did get out almost every day to the Grand or Nith.I managed to catch suckers,bass and even a small bow. Not to forget all the carp I managed to hook into it was a fun year for sure.I got to meet a few people from here who ventured to Paris and made a friend/fishing partner in Kennyman(finally someone over the age of 13 to fish with,lol)Above all though I would have to rank this year a 10 for the following 3 reasons.

100_0027.jpg

100_0011.jpg

100_0029.jpg

100_0038.jpg

100_0092.jpg

100_0096.jpg

100_0207.jpg

100_0493.jpg

Just getting out with these guys made it a 10 and memories to last forever.Of course, catching some like this was a nice bonus.

100_0870.jpg

Looking forward to next year.

So far I would say 9 out of 10. I bought a boat this year and docked it up on Buckhorn Lake. I was really busy with work so I didn't get out as much as I wanted but I was able catch 4 muskies, 5 LM bass > 5lbs with a personal best 7lber and a personal best 8lb walleye. I have been meaning to post my pics of the season but again I am super busy with work. I will hopefully post them soon. My season is not over yet. I have a trip booked to Panama over xmas and I am planning on hooking into some Peacocks and hopefully a Marlin. A Marlin would def push my rank up to 10 out of 10.