Ohio guy need help finding fishing camp in Ontario

oarfish

I am planning a honeymoon for June 2008. I thought that my fiance would like to go with me to Canada and fish for a week (she loves fishing).

Would anyone recommend a fishing lake with boat rentals and cabins for us? She is not too spoiled but running hot water would be nice.

We like to fish for just about any kind of fish: musky, bass, walleye, bluegills, catfish, carp or really anything that pulls the line.

Any advice would be appreciated since we never fished up there before.

Thanks,

Laszlo

laszlohomeservices.com

When in June it makes a lot of difference. If its early june if you go to far north you'll run into blackflies not sure if I'd appreciate that on a honeymoon. If its late june that might open up bass fishing for you otherwise it would be closed. For now I'll recommend Sparrow Lake near Orillia. Lots of pike and plenty of places to stay.

Well if you look right on our OFC site there is a whole section on fishing lodges & fishing packages, :clapping::canadian: as well as a loge finder,and it covers alot of areas,the whole kawartha lakes region has a website as well...i cant remeber it but im sure if you GOOGLE IT you will have no trouble finding it...but give our own site a try,i was surfing it last week....the only hard part to it is to make up your mind which one to pick and what area & species of fish you want to catch !!!!!!good-luck :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Laszlo. I live in West Virginia and have been going to Canada for over 30 years. Ontario is a great providence to visit with a lot of friendly people. To find a camp you should go to one of the Outdoor Sport Shows in January and February and talk to the people from the lodges and camps from Ontario. You can get a lot of information and see pictures of the camps.

If I was going to Ontario for the first time with a new wife, I would plan on staying at Niagara-on- the Lake for two or three days and visit the Niagara area, plus the Niagara River has some great fishing. Then I would head North and go to Temagami and stay at the Temagami Shores Inn, which has a special for two people which includes your room, meals and a boat and going back South stop at Algonquin Park and spend a couple of days. This would not be to rustic and you may get your wife hooked on Ontario. Then you could stop and look at a few camps for your next trip.

I have been hearing great things about Camp Jiggy, but I think it is an exclusive camp and it might be hard to get in there

but really

in many areas bass will be closed season till the 4th Saturday in June and muskie opens around the middle of June, I think

and black flies, it is something to take into account that time of year

fishing honeymoon, you're a lucky man

Oarfish, also from Ohio a little south of you. If you have never been there you have a lot more choices, and bodies of water than we do here. Also a lot of different choices in comfort levels, from back woods camps to good sized resorts right on the waterfront.

A lot are an easy one day drive, some take a little more effort. Thousands up there compared to what we have here. Some are in towns so other activities are close by, with in walking distance for some.

Scenery varies too, southern Ontario a lot like here, rockier as you get farther north.

I am very thankful for all your insight... I will definitely look into all the options you recommended. I just started to plan today infact I just come-up with the ideal last night. This driving trip will have to fall on June 8-15 of 2008, so I still have plenty of time to plan. It is already fun to think of all the opportunities you have highlighted.

My fiance is very special so I would like to make this to be memorable. She just started fishing with me a few times this past summer and she is totally enthusiastic about fishing. I have to drag her away from the fishing hole (some guys said that I am very lucky) :thumbsup_anim: , I would say that I agree 100%.

Thanks again, I will take pictures of the fish no matter how small or large,

Laszlo

laszlohomeservices.com