NF Lindros Retires

holdfast

Yes, he belongs in the Hall of Fame for what he accomplished while playing hockey.

Period end of story.

I think a lot of the debate is centred around his "unrealized potential". But most NHL'ers could not post the points and get the awards he got in 20 years, never mind the 7 good ones he had.

Its the hockey hall of fame, not the nice personality hall of fame.

cheers

suds

Ya, I agree with Suds.

I saw a brilliant piece on TSN this morning and the reporter said Eric shouldn't be judged buy what WE expected of him.

I think his stats alone put him in the Hall.

Beyond that, I thought his 5-million dollar donation to the London hospital and retirement announcement was terrific.

Definitely YES.

He easily more than earned it in the first 1/2 of his career and you don't lose entitlement to the HOF because of injuries.

He was a superstar and, unlike Gretzky, he didn't have special NHL unwritten rules for marketing and promotion protecting him.

He should also get in just for putting up with Bobby Clarke's Bull

Kirk

Definitely. I never liked him. Thought he was a whiney jerk, but he may be the greatest all round player to play the game yet ... big, strong, fast, smart, and great hands, but what sets him apart was toughness. He probably wouldn't have had those concussions if he hadn't stuck his nose (and body) into a lot of spots , I'm sold anyway.

JF

To some extent i say yes as well.

He could score when healthy, but was impressed

a couple of years ago when he was with Rangers, (after 8 concussions)

Lindros got into a fight with Joe Thorton (w/Bruins) and absolutely pummelled Thorton.

Maybe even knocked him out, can't remember.

Hall of famer when healthy.

ehg

NO, he's a bum and cry baby, the moment he refused to play for the nordiques he should have been banned from the nhl

Being a prima dona didn't make him a less skilled player, and I think someone else also mentioned that some of that nonsense was Mom and Pop playing agent, and not really doing him any favours image-wise in the process. I stand by what I said earlier that he played like a big (very tough) man who happened to be very skilled as well, and without the benefit of a bodyguard and unwritten rules protecting him. I think because he could play big and tough it wasn't good business to keep him out of the heavy going, especially in Philly in those days. They built the most succesful franchise in the league, business-wise, by selling that toughness to the fans. He handled the bruising, give and take, and still played like an all-star.

He still gets my vote. He might even have got my vote back in the six team league days.

JF

YES, i don't think i can recall a player who had the speed, power, skill, toughness and soft hands like the Big E did... i personally enjoyed watching Lindros more than Gretzky and Lemiuex, and almost as much as the Moose

seems most of the people saying no are using his off ice antics as a reason... well alot of NHL players do horrible things off ice that look bad on themselves and the league, based solely on his accomplishments he should be in the HHOF imo

Tough Guy ????????? seam to remember him SPITTING in a womens face on a dance floor , guess she wouldnt drop her gloves . dont know many tough guys who spit on women ??? I say NO WAY

Found this news account in an internet archive

"ERIC LINDROS was found not guilty yesterday of charges he spit beer on a woman on a nightclub dance floor. Lindros, a 19-year-old who plays for the Philadelphia Flyers, shook hands with his lawyer after Justice RHYS MORGAN issued the acquittal in Oshawa, Ontario. The judge said defense evidence raised reasonable doubt."

here -

"http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F0CEFDD1131F93AA35751C0A965958260"

JF

He averaged over a point a game.

Won awards, as mentoined above.

Compare his accomplishments to a guy like Cam Neely - who is in the HOF - pretty tough not to put Lindros in. I don't think he will get it in 3 years when he is first eligible, but he will get in eventually.

Granted, Neely won Stanley Cups (I think), but last I checked that is not a prerequisite. Nor is the amount of injury time....

I vote yes.

Neely never won a cup. He was with Vancouver and Boston.

Just checking on his stats and the arguments here so far, I think I would agree with the Minority and say yes, he should be in the Hall of Fame. But like a lot of things it seems, if politics are involved, Id say he has no chance. I'm not a Toronto Fan, so he never disappointed me as I am, or was a Habs Fan and all I know is how he totally dominated and set the pace in the World Juniors and NHL. As a Team sport Id say he was one quarter of that team. Four lines, His Line had the opposition hiding. When Philly played Mtl his line Made Mtls Line look like Team France if you know what I mean. In his short NHL Career He Had more points than games. Yes and he is a two way player no doubt about it. As far as playing with Quebec, If I had a choice I wouldn't of want to. As far as Clarke, It seems to me it all started when he had a concussion and he was forced to play that started the problems. As far as playing for TO, Just like Mtl when they traded Chelios for Savard a bad move. Blame the Management not the player as they are hoping to get a cheap washed out super star. Here's a link to his stats. If Neely is in the Hall of Fame, Lindros should be

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/players/data08/00003158.html

Name 'em.

That's right, it's the paddy cake hall of fame and doesn't have any "dirty" players in it.

I know, players like Messier and Clarke weren't dirty, they just played with passion and heart.

Your kidding, right?

For starters.....

Glenn Anderson and Mr Ciccarelli.......

How can you forget Gilmour?

There are also arguements for old Flames blocker Mike Vernon.

I dont like him for a number of reasons, being dirty just added to it.

There are some dirty players in the HHOF (ofcourse) but they had much better

numbers then Lindros.

What about Bill Ranford??????

Have you looked at the stats?