For those who fish the West Arm/French River

Cory

Not sure if many are aware but Halton Recycling has recently had a parcel of land near Noelville rezoned from rural to waste management.

http://np.ospreymedialp.com/ArticleDisplay...aura+Stradiotto

The Halton Newmarket plant was ordered to be closed in 2006 after the town brought them to court over the smell. The closure was to allow Halton to work on correcting the issue of the smell and Halton has continued to appeal this court ruling.

http://www.newmarket.ca/userfiles/HTML/nts_1_3733_1.html

Now they want to transfer waste from Newmarket to Noelville. People in the area aren’t too happy with this plan.

http://www.thesudburystar.com/ArticleDispl...ob+Vaillancourt

Not sure about you but when I head up to Lakair to fish, I don’t want to be following a bunch of garbage trucks up Hwy 400/69 and across Hwy 64. Don’t really relish the thought of stepping out of my tent in the morning to the stench of kitchen waste either.

I was happy when Aurora went to the three tiered garbage collection system, but I’m not to happy that my waste is going to be shipped north where I like to go and play. I’d much prefer to keep my waste in my backyard.

The plans still have to be approved by the MOE and such, but who is to say this won’t affect the water quality in the area with the garbage leaching into the watershed of Nipissing?

Here are a couple of other links for some of the groups in the area trying to stop this…..I’ll be writing a letter to the French River Municipality to let them know my feelings on the issue.

http://www.savethefrench.ca

http://www.ufrca.com/ufrca/default.asp

I heard about that plan a couple months back Cory, and I agree with you, waking up in the woods and smelling the pine trees is much better than what their proposing.

I live in Toronto and am against shipping our garbage elsewhere too. It'd be nice if we could all take care of our own crap rather than dumping it on someone else's doorstep. :dunno:

Im from halton and I am embarassed by this

I think the section between between bronte rd and talfalger 407 and hiway 5 should be windmills and an incineration plant for power

but who am I

I hope that this does not go through and they have to wake up and smell the coffee

We sure love going to Lakair for our annual 2 week fishing trip. Been going over 40 years. The first time I wake up to the smell of rotting garbage will be my last. 10K is not that far and it appears to be along the path of the prevailing wind is it not? Hope the lodges and folks living in the area can successfully fight this.

We love the lake, we love going to Lakair, and we hope to continue for years to come.

I heard that when I was up that way in September. A couple of the camp owners I talked to are certainly opposed to the dump and I can't blame them. The Canadian Shield is some beautiful country that I have come to love. Can't imagine a big garbage dump right in the middle of it and all that runoff into those pristine waters.

FYI. The proposal is for a windrow composting site. It would use possibly 85 acres, in the middle of a 330 acre site. The remaining land would stay rural, acting as a buffer. Windrows (managed rows) are a long standing technology used to convert kitchen scraps and other organics into a valuable soil amendment. Even in places where there have been on-site odour problems, which won't be the case in a well-managed operation, the smell is not noticable more than 800 to 1,200 metres away (which is why a buffer is maintained, to ensure that no neighbour is affected).

As this proposal continues to move forward it will go through extensive public consultation, and scrutiny by the Ministry of Environment and other agencies, prior to the necessary permits being issued. Local residents may decide that they don't support the proposal. All that the company has been asking is that people understand all the details before making up their minds. In pursuit of this the company recently distributed a detailed 8-page information booklet to all local residents.

My only intent in posting is to provide more accurate information. I appreciate this opportunity.

recycle555 your resonse is all fine a dandy but why at this location. How does one justify shipping waste this far north, heck I would think theres 85 acre's at the Toronto airport that one could use

to convert kitchen scraps and other organics into a valuable soil amendment.

Just curious!

Recycle555

330 acres were rezoned from rural. As your quote says

It would use possibly 85 acres, in the middle of a 330 acre site

Sure good way to start but what is to stop the company from deciding to expand from the “possible” 85 acres to using the entire 330 acres in the future? All of the land was rezoned so there really is nothing stopping them from doing this if you guys decide to is there?

Even in places where there have been on-site odour problems, which won't be the case in a well-managed operation, the smell is not noticable more than 800 to 1,200 metres away

What happened in Newmarket? Are you saying it wasn’t a “well-managed” operation? According to the MOE the cause of the odour was improper processing of compost material, sort of what you guys are planning for the new site isn’t it? What is to stop this from happening again? What is to stop the water you guys will be pumping through the windrows from leaking? Can you guarantee there will be no “accidents”?

What is the end use of

valuable soil amendment.

What market will it be sold in? Will you be shipping this valuable soil back down to the GTA for sale for profit there? If you are, will this also not increase the amount of traffic that many are concerned about. Not only will you be shipping the garbage North, but you will also be shipping the compost South for sale for profit?

I know that when I head North there is already enough traffic heading out of the city and on the highway most of the way up to Noelville. I don’t want to be sitting in a traffic jam at the Moon River sitting behind a line up of garbage trucks. Not only does this affect the Noelville area, it also has an effect on anybody between Newmarket and Noelville.

I’m happy to see my kitchen waste being turned into something good for the environment. I just can’t see the logic in shipping it 300km’s North to do it, and then possibly ship it 300km’s south for sale. Kind of a waste of waste in my mind.

I will be sending a letter to the Mayor and Councillors of the French River Municipality explaining why when I go up to spend my tourist dollars I don’t want this dump and all of the traffic to ruin my experience. Because if this plan goes through I like others have stated above, will be looking for a new area to spend my money.

Anyone else wishing to make their opinion heard can send a letter to:

Mayor and all the councillors..

French River Municipality

Noelville

Ontario

P0M 2N0

Is the dump just west of London along the 401 different from this one proposed there? if not then there will be many who are not happy with the smell as anyone who passes london on the way to windsor will tell you it STINKS.

I to am not to thrilled with the garbage heading north they should be able to find some land closer to the south and yes I do deal with these smelly garbage trucks daily as they head to MI to dump there load and even right here in good Ol Chatham Kent we take alot of T.O. garbage already so I know it stinks and you can smell it on the way to the lake if you pass by.

I think it will take more then the locals to fight this one it will be all of us who head north to put up the fight for them and must stay strong

I guess recycle555 doesn't want to answer my questions, or can't.

My letter to the town went in the mail yesterday. Hopefully others make their opinion heard as well. Going by the response to this thread I guess not though.

Oh well, I'll be following the events closely.

• 2 weeks later...

SOMETIMES----------- WE HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO HELP KEEP OUR WORLD CLEAN FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS... THIS IS "YOUR" OPPORTUNITY TO HELP OUT .... READ ON..........

CAVEAT: We are all stewards of our natural resources... and if we decide to keep quiet on important issues becasue of the worry of appearing political ... then perhaps we lose.........

Thank you Cory for your post and to TJ and the OFC Board for allowing us to post this message.

Thank you all who have commented here.

This is an hugh environmental issue and we appreciate your support.

Many local resisdents have been working extremely hard at opposing this development. For instance, well over 500 persons have shown up at our local town council meetings to voice their concern. That is a lot of folks to show up at a council meeting for such a small community!

PLEASE BE PRO-ACTIVE FOLKS.... YOU ENJOY FISHING OUR CLEAN WATERS AND ENJOY OUR FRESH AIR... NOW IT IS YOUR TURN TO HELP US KEEP OUR NORTH POLLUTION FREE....

Please refer to this link for all current information on this issue: There is a lot of very interesting stuff here..............

http://www.savethefrench.ca/

Those of you who would like voice YOUR concerns should write/call/email our town council. Here is the info:

Municipality of French River

P.O. Box 156

17 Dollard Street

Noëlville, Ontario P0M 2N0

Telephone: 705-898-2294

Fax: 705-898-2181

Marc Pellerin, Acting Deputy Clerk

EVERY LETTER/PHONE CALL/EMAIL SENT TO OUR MAJOR AND COUNCILLORS PUTS MORE AND MORE PRESSURE ON THEM TO RESCIND THIS POORLY CONCEIVED IDEA.

Here is the line to ALL their email addresses:

http://www.frenchriver.ca/en/En_MunicipalGovElected.html

Many, many thanks ........................

Capt Hooked

We have been vacationing and fishing in the wolsley bay area for the past 22 years and have recently invested in a cottage. The mayor and his cronies will certainly be hearing from us . Thanks to Kevin for the contact link and thanks to Cory for the research on the issue." Save The French From The Stench "

Guest lundboy

I live 3 blocks away from the Newmarket "facility". It stinks to no end when I am down wind, can't open windows, sit outside etc. And I get pretty tired of having to close all the vents in my car when driving by (which means within 1 km each way) of it on the 404.

Funny because I also own property up in Alban so I'll be getting it in both places.

AND.... The reason they are building it in Noelville, is so they can meet a court decision to fix the stink in Newmarket, by only processing the waste HALF WAY at the NM facility, and then truck it up to Noelville to finish the processing when it stinks the most.

Edited by lundboy

Guest lundboy
We have been vacationing and fishing in the wolsley bay area for the past 22 years and have recently invested in a cottage. The mayor and his cronies will certainly be hearing from us . Thanks to Kevin for the contact link and thanks to Cory for the research on the issue." Save The French From The Stench "

The mayor and council are corrupt and on the take. They have ignored people to the state of arguments about this. Same with a previous council when it came to the mandatory waste bin system.

There was a time when the French River council was run by "old family" members like Mayer, Lemieaux, Beaulieu, Seguin, Lahaie, Rochon etc. By someone that had a stake and roots in the town. This new council and mayor came out of nowhere, people in town are still wondering how they got elected.

Edited by lundboy

mr eh,

I drive that stretch of highway all the time. THe dump west of london is a joke. On a windy day the garbage is blown across the 401. what a joke that is!

im with bite me, build a great big incinerator that produces power!

Careful with that.... Hamilton did that and it failed miserably ..... it is now abandoned.... millions wasted...

Guest lundboy

Just heard from French River.

The Council had a public meeting on Wednesday, and declared that there was never a ratified amendment passed to rezone the area for use as a recycling business.

The funny thing is, there were people at previous meetings that were present when the council argued that the amendment was approved and ratified and that they were going ahead with the permit.

(sounds to me like they lied and someone caught them). Looks like it will not be going ahead now.