Hook Size

pidge

Hey everyone never really been into ice fishing before went a couple times when I was 8 or so, but looking foward to gettin out this winter a bunch of times. Was at bass pro yesterday and picked up some of those berkley baits ( the ones you jig upwards and they fall in a circular patteren ) and some of those little grub looking ones ( sorry dont know the name ), But my question is what size hooks do most of you guys use for rigging minnows? and which way seems to work best for in terms of rigging them? (through the mouth, back etc.) By the way just picked up a ulgy stick ice fishin combo with line for about $ 30 anyone else have one of these? any good? Thanks for the help. Greg. :santa:

because I am incredibly lazy, I just run set lines. Most often hook through the back. I'll have the hook just barely under the baits surface, easy to rip out on hookset. With bigger baits (ie 8-10 inch suckers) I'll go one through the mouth and then a stinger treble hook on a 6 inch leader further down the body.

Match your hook size to your bait size. Small minnows, small hooks, large minnnows larger hooks. You want the minnow to be able to swim freely with the hook, but also want the hook to be large enough to get some meat on the fish your after.

I like to use a wide gap hook also.

Sinker

Thanks everyone. Sinker, I'll go look for some of those wide gap hooks at crappy tire. As for my ghetto line, which line would be best. What do you guys and gals use? Is there ice fishing specific line? or can I scab some off a partilly used spool of new line. Sorry for all the questions, but I thought I would ask the people who know best.

Well for line, depends what you are fishing for, the small stuff like perch, 4lb line will suffice, lakers and whities, 6-8lb will do. I prefer the Berkley mono lines, each to his own. As for hooks, don't waste your money on bent nails and bobby pins, go with quality hooks like Gamakatsu, Daiichi, much much sharper. Again, for the small fish, #6 hooks are my main ones, #8 if they're finicky. For the larger fish, I stick to #4. I hook my minnows through the back, right behind the dorsal fin and above the lateral line, keeps them lively and swimming around, looks more like an injured baitfish trying to escape from becoming lunch.

Line size ....... depends on what size fish you are targetting. An all around nice line would be 10 lb test Fireline. You can add a small swivel to the end of the Fireline and use a fluorocarbon leader.

Hook size ..... you will be surprised at how small a hook you can use. When using a small minnow (2 to 3 inches long), I mostly use size 8 hooks. Get the best hooks you can find. Lightly hook the minnow just behind it's dorsal fin. When the fish bites, let it take out line if it makes a run because when it's swimming fast, it is not swallowing the bait. At the end of the run, it will swallow the bait (usually head first) and then slowly start slowly swimming away. This is when you strike the fish.

For pike, I also like to add a trailer hook. Therefore, I hook the minnow (usually a large minnow) through the lips with the single hook and then stick the small treble hook near the tail. I wait for the pike to swim away from the hole before striking. This way, either one or both of the hooks will catch in the corner of it's mouth. Pike will often hold on to a bait for a long time before swallowing it and other times, they swallow it quick. In any event, it's best to wait for them to start swimming away before setting the hook.

It's been many years since I have used live minnows because in my region, using minnows (dead or alive) is illegal. However, in some places during the winter, we are allowed to use frozen smelt.

Fisherman and Dabluz, thanks alot for taking your time and writing back with the tips. To be honest I,m unsure what lbs test came on that reel, but I'll go have a look at crappy tire and see whats available. Bare with me guys I'm no pro at ice fishing and will probley never be just lookin for some tips to help make the day more enjoyable.Thanks again everyone.

I don`t ice fish so this may not help. For smaller minnows like for perch fishing I used a 4 or 2 aberdeen they can take it easily and it cuts down on the swallows, for bluegill a size 6, smaller mouths. Hook quality isn`t normally an issue with the smaller panfish, no need to break the bank on expensive hooks. Bigger fish hook quality becomes an issue, I use aberdeen hooks for bass and walleye but spend some money and get good ones.

If I am fishing with the intent of catching a bigger bass, walleye, pike or ski on live bait the aberdeens stay home and I use a heavy wire hook, Mustad 3407s work well 3/0 to 5/0. Hook placement for me depends on what I am trying to do with the live minnow, fishing a big chub or shiner under a float I hook them under the dorsal fin with care not to hit the spine, they will live(swim) longer. Casting I take the hook in their mouth and out the gill cover, no need to hit flesh, tipping a jig thru both lips, trolling thru the lips. Big hooks can kill a small minnow quickly, so can improper hook placement.