Any body catch any Tiger Musky?

mattyk

when pike showed up in canal, they exploded for about 4 years you could not make a cast with out catching a 12" to 20" pike , if the lure had 3 hooks you would catch 3 at a time on some casts...and it changed to whole lake and not for the better, lets hope it doesn't happen else where

and please kill any pike you catch in balsam

Why would you kill them? When all the walleye/perch guys in Lake St. Clair were crying about the musky eating all the perch & walleye they were telling people to kill any musky they caught. Nobody listened.

muskie are native to Balsam

pike are not

because of the types of lake most of the kawarthas are

the muskie can not compete with the pike for spawning grounds and the muskie die off it has happened to all the lakes coming from lake simcoe, like canal lake and are now making their way to balsam, because of a man made canal system

and the pike upset the balance

so again I say

I will kill and eat any pike that show up in Balsam lake and would hope everyone else does the same

I have been fishing Balsam for about 7 years. Never seen a Pike until I caught a nice one last season. I always swore if I caught one there I would eat it but this was the greenest, prettyest Pike with orange fins I had ever seen- it is still swimming. Caught my first Tiger last year as well- beautiful fish. This year I have caught another pike and THREE more Tigers! I would say Pike and therefore Tigers are on the increase.

Mike the Pike...I am more a hammer and nail kind of guy, when it comes to my job

I learnt by hanging around this website

and playing with the computer and photo editing software

I never learnt the right way to do things but I did find ways to get the results I want.....

all I did to make that effect was

download a picture of a real tiger copied it and paste it on top of the muskie

then I stretched it to cover all of the muskie

then I erased all the tiger that wasn't on the muskie

then I viewed layers and I made the tiger about 50% transparent

and that was the results

piece of cake

Edited by Terry

Nice looking tigers, guys! Would it be out of the question to think that Tiger Musky would show up in numbers before pike if there is a lower density of pike and higher density of musky on any given bod of water?

Tiger musky are the result of 2 male pike breeding with a female musky. Tiger musky grow faster than pike or musky but don’t reach the size of a regular musky. Male tiger musky don’t breed & female tigers usually don’t breed either but a very small percentage of them do. Since pike spawn before musky, you will see the pike population increase quicker than musky.

Here in Michigan the DNR stocks some inland lakes with tigers but those caught in Lake St. Clair occurred naturally from pike breeding with musky.

I understand the reproductive side of how a tiger is made. What I was asking was...If theres a low density, say theres 5 pike in Balsam lake to 100 musky, sure the pike MIGHT end up in the same spawning bay. But if they're scattered, they might end up in 3 or 4 different areas that are good spawning sites.Of coure, in these bays you'd see the resident musky getting busy and the pike, looking for love, would get in on the action. If this happens, wouldn't you see a greater number of tigers before the pike start going? In subsequent years, you might see more and more pike as the density gets higher and pike spawning is more successful as a result of the higher density.

I'm no expert, I'm just trying to think in a linear fashion. Good conversation at any rate. Cheers.