TJ's post got me thinking Hunting Images

oxcowboy

hey folks TJ's post about going to his hunting camp got me thinking about my deer seasons past, deer season has become even more special to me now since my little one is big enough to go out and sit in a blind with me. Got to take him out last season for the first time, and he is hooked on it.

e.jpg yes it is unloaded.

his first hunt was successful, we managed to bag this basket rack 8 pointer, but to him it was a monster!

e2.jpg

I have just started bow hunting this year. here in southern ohio we can take up to 6 deer this year, 1 buck and 5 does, 3 must be taken by bow and before shotgun season starts. so far i have drawn on 2 does, but havent let the arrow fly yet, its just been too warm here to let one cure properly.

i hope all the hunters on the board have a great year in the woods/bush, remember to be safe, wear all the proper gear, know what your shooting at, and whats behind it. if ya got a young one, take a day to let them go out with ya. you might not bag a trophy, but you may gain a hunting partner for life.

here are a couple of my better bucks from the past.

deerpic05.jpg

nice 8 pt from 05

NewImage.jpg

decent 9 point, just not real wide

if ya got any good hunting pics of the past feel free to add them on.

jason

I don't hunt. How do they count the points? And does this only apply to the male.

Nelly, no it just doesn't apply for males. Female deer (doe) have horns or racks also but not common.

Here is a pic showing all points are marked in red.

Hope it helps you understand.

points.jpg

Well,Well...theres a deer hunter in training,right on dad.!!!!!!!!!!! :clapping::whistling: ..looks like you have a very helpfullo & willing hunting partner,to go on all those boys hunting trips. :w00t: ...its great when your kids get right into what you love to do....my little daughter loves to fish with me....its greatthanks for sharing...cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

I'm still abit confuse. Besides counting the # of tips on the horn which = points, Don't they somehow measure the horns and where do they start the count process for the total inches? Am I totally lost or on the right track for counting the points in inches?

I'm still abit confuse. Besides counting the # of tips on the horn which = points, Don't they somehow measure the horns and where do they start the count process for the total inches? Am I totally lost or on the right track for counting the points in inches?

You are on the right track. You measure the length of the main beam from start to finish, then measure the thickest part of each base around and then measure the length of each tine add them all together and that will give your total.

You are on the right track. You measure the length of the main beam from start to finish, then measure the thickest part of each base around and then measure the length of each tine add them all together and that will give your total.

Thanks for explaining the point system Outdoorsman.

amishbuck.jpg

i wish this one was mine, but he was killed by an amish hunter opening day of bow season last year. it is from my home county, approx. 8 miles from my farm. i think it scored around 295 and is the second biggest ever taken in ohio. not sure what i would do if one that big walked out infront of me.

jason