Question About Patched Welded Aluminum

ccmtcanada

I have been looking around at some aluminum boats and found an interesting one online. He has emailed me saying that the boat has had damage in the past...there is a welded patch on the side, and he says the boat does not leak.

My question is...I'm sure this is a weak spot in the boat, but I'm not 100% sure. Anyone have welded patches on their boat?

Thanks.

Cliff

Picture.....

patch.jpg

Edited by ccmtcanada

If it was welded properly there will be no problem. We (family shop) just sent an aluminum racing cylinder head (BBC) away to be welded and you should have seen it. Just nasty!!! When it comes back it will function perfectly on a 1200 (at least) horsepower motor. That is the beauty of aluminum. Less weight and completely repairable. Had that happened to a cast head it would already be in the garbage. Just check to see if it was done correctly (maybe by a welding shop?) and you'll be fine Cliff.

There shouldn't be a problem with the patch if it was welded properly. A guy from another fishing site that I have fished with had an older (30+ yrs) 14 footer that had numerous patches that didn't leak. The only leaks he had were from the loose rivets that ended up giving way & the boat almost split in half while on Lake St. Clair.

I personally would not go near a riveted alum boat with any welding equipment.

Welded alum boats have rubber gaskets that seal them up when the rivets are tightened down.

If you heat up these gaskets with any welding equipment then they melt and leak to no end.

I would be more concerned with what the interior of the boat looks like.

There are a few products out there and a few tricks you can do to half assed seal up

a leaky aluminum. If you see anything other then aluminum on the interior of the haul then I would steer clear.

It's only my opinion Cliff, but I'd be passing on a boat that's been patched up. Maybe it's fine, but I personally would be shopping around for something in better shape.

I've always been in a fortunate position that my boats have always been new when purchased, so I've never had to worry about them, but I'd be pretty leary of buying a used, patched up, re-painted boat from a total stranger,when there are plenty of others available in much better shape.

Just my thoughts........

Thank you everyone for your replies.

The technical aspect makes perfect sense...hot welding melts gaskets.

Lew...you brought the rational side of these emotional decisions to light for me. You are right...welded, painted (painted to hide stress fractures or purely cosmetic), which leads to the complete stranger thing....I have no idea why he painted it.

We will pass on this one....there are lots of boats out there to buy....just have to make sure I dont get too hasty and make a decision I'll regret later.

Cliff, I can tell you right now that the boat is a pretty old (formerly red) Springbok. I had a 12 foot Springbok once and spent more time trying to fix leaks then I did actually using it. The aluminum is thin and the rivets are not very strong.