Yet another intro, albeit belated

JohnF

I already posted this, but belatedly realized that burying it another thread was dumb, if not an outright hijack. So here it is again, with my apologies.

I've been river fishing all my life, save for a brief hiatus from 1960 to 2006. As a kid growing up in St.Marys at the confluence of Trout Creek and the Thames I fished all summer long, then got away from it until a couple of years ago when a buddy drug me out to the river again to chase Bass. We've spent the last two summers wetwading the Thames either side of St.Marys tossing a variety of lures on ultralite gear for smallies & Pike and just having fun, looking forward to a reward of single malt for our putting up with Mother Nature in the raw. My buddy always uses Rapala minnows with fair success but he's slowly converting to plastic after being outfished by a rank amateur (me) so many nights. Probably the most interesting day out we had this year was wading the river just below the dam in Calabogie chasing bass and catfish. I don't even remember what the river's called, but it was pretty and the current was ripping and the rocks were slippery. It was a hoot, even if Rob did get dunked.

I used to do a lot of scuba diving and it's kinda fun to chase the fish now having an idea of how they behave when not being hassled by us surface dwellers. They have very little fear of divers so we get to watch them up close and personal. Most of my fishing is C&R with barbless or debarbed hooks. I just like getting out and playing.

I will try to keep the stupid questions to a minimum and if anyone is keen to wade the creeks around Stratford & St.Marys some evening let me know. There are a few spots sure to produce some smallies and the occasional Pike. I've actually got some boots and waders now. The water is getting a little nippy and I'm not sure, but I think the sweat sox and bare legs might have had a negative effect on the fish catchability, really. Perhaps I shoulda washed the sox more often.

JF

Hey John. Great intro! You were right in posting it in a new thread...I missed this before. Brief hiatus?? LOL. It's great you are back into fishing again...looking forward to you reports and PICTURES of your outings...hehe. We do like pics here, even if it's just scenery. Welcome to the best spot on the net.

welcome aboard

...and ask all the questions you want....

remember there are no stupid questions,

only stupid peo..............ah ..no.... that's not coming out right

dang....I know there is a time tested pearl of wisdom that fits here

I will get back to you on it

welcome again

Hey John. Great intro! You were right in posting it in a new thread...I missed this before. Brief hiatus?? LOL. It's great you are back into fishing again...looking forward to you reports and PICTURES of your outings...hehe. We do like pics here, even if it's just scenery. Welcome to the best spot on the net.

Pics to follow. I just bought a new mini-dv cam for stills or video that will easily fit in the pocket inside the bib of my waders with a safety neck strap (just in case). We're gonna start getting some shots on the creek. The scenery is pretty even if there are no monster fish to record. Hopefully we'll have some soon of our first salmon experience up around Goderich and we're also going to go on a carp hunt. We have lots of them right close by that we've always ignored.

JF

welcome aboard

...and ask all the questions you want....

remember there are no stupid questions,

only stupid peo..............ah ..no.... that's not coming out right

dang....I know there is a time tested pearl of wisdom that fits here

I will get back to you on it

welcome again

And you guys think I need meds ?LOL

Welcome enjoy.

Guest Johnny Bass
Thank you all for the most gracious welcome. I can only hope yer all being as nice to me after a few posts. :rolleyes:

JF

You'll be alright but please.... Dont post any pictures of dead Musky heads. :rolleyes: lol

You'll be alright but please.... Dont post any pictures of dead Musky heads. :rolleyes: lol

But the live ones don't stick to the wall very well. And I have one of the finest collections of dead musky heads on my block. It's a shame not to share 'em.

JF