new steelhead rod

FinS

well after searching for another rod

i finally made up my mind and bought a 11'6 quantum pt tour edition

$165 out the door with a lifetime warranty

iwas looking at the st croixs and the 11'6 wild river was ten bucks more with a 5 year warranty

was tough making the decision but i think i made a good one

now its the debate for a new centerpin to match the rod im leaning on the raven vectra

but im not sure yet might just get the aventa

Not bad choice I personally have a cold water as a back up for my back up lol and it’s a good rod I have a friend who fishes the pt and likes it. only choice I think that you made that wasn’t the best was 11.6 ft if your fishing any river besides Eastern tribs it might be a little to small I would have gotten the 13 ft if it was possible and if it is bring it back and get the 13ft you will thank me. As for the pin get an islander bullet proof and very good reel.

Listen to Silvio!! He knows Steelies!! My first rod was an 11'6" as well...I used it...had moderate success...thought that since I'm used to throwing 6 to 7 foot rods that it was plenty long enough. Well...that one broke on me and I bought a 13 footer, and I have to tell you, it's MUCH better...especially to fight them in closed quarters. Good luck!

nothing wrong with quantum, sold alot of them this spring while working at Angling sport and have only heard good things about them. As silvio said, 13' may have been a better choice depending on the rivers your fishing..13' is the lowest in my arsenal, i own 2 13ft rods and 2 15ft rods for bigger huron rivers...

Good luck!

i hope they take it back the tags are still on it

i have the receipt the only thing im worried about is that i removed the plasic seal on the handle because its me

and what ticks me off is

i looked on fishusa.com a 13 ft quantum pt 119.99 but they dont ship to canada

i paid 165 lol

Trust me get the 13 footer on those long drifts you will need the extra lenght slack line on the water can really mess up a drift. I am getting a 15 footer for that reason. Small rivers 11'6 will do 13 fotter even better but like browntown said on thoses big huron g bay rivers even a 13 is small at times. if they dont have the 13 footer pt head to bass pro and get ether the 13 foot coldwater a have decent rod or a browning six rivers have heard good things about that rod both very low cost.

Edited by silvio

....I retired my 13 footers years ago after decades of use and switched to an 11 1/2 footer.

My longest rod is 9 feet. Works for me. Don't get caught up in the Steelhead fishermans fashion show. You don't need a $500.00 rod and a $500.00 pin to catch them. I catch all mine on a $30.00 Cabelas rod. I can't say that I've ever lost a Steelhead because my rod wasn't 6' longer, or that it cost $500.00 less than most others use.

The plus of having a longer rod are that you have more control over your drift. It has nothing to do with bling bling, or fighting a fish. It really depends on what water you fish. For a flow like Bronte, a 11.5' should do fine (thats what I have used the last couple of years and have done well).

I picked up the PT in the 13' length late in the season last year. Seems like a good enough rod, but a lot heavier than my 11.5' Shimano Custom. More back bone too. One thing that I think needs to be modified on these rods is the tip top guides. They are way too small. I like to fish through December and I can see these just collecting lots of ice. I will be putting a larger guide on mine this season for sure.

Burt :)

I for one would take the advice of someone (Like Spiel or Dan) that have been fishing Rainbows all Their life (almost 50 years) then those that are into looking fashionable on the water... It is not what looks pretty on the water... it is what does the job...

You dont have to be like the Jones's... you just need to outfish them.. and trust me... a 15' rod does not equal a higher catch ratio/percentage... just a lighter wallet..

A common sense comparison.. I have a Honda civic in my driveway... stock from the factory... do I want to add a insanely noisy muffler to fit in? will it increase performance?? not a chance... it is a vanity item.. (an annoying one.) there is no need for it other then to get noticed... I laugh at the punks wasting their money on silliness.

My rod is longer then your rod... look look... yet another example of Penile envy.... your does not have to be the longest to get noticed... yours just has to work..

food for thought...

Listen to those with experience... (alot of it I might add)

I know my custom built rod (by Spiel) is NO WHERE near 15 or 13' for that matter..

Use the rod you have and forget the fashion police.

PS... you dont have to have 1800.00 waders either.. or have to wear cammo to fish steelies..

the rivers are not a catwalk... leave the fashion for the models in magazines.

Gerritt.

Just thought I would add this...

DSC00910.jpg

DSC00911.jpg

DSC00896.jpg

DSC00898.jpg

DSC00896.jpg

DSC00895.jpg

DSC00891.jpg

Here I am fishing with one of the very first rods Spiel ever built... it is 11'6" I am not wearing cammo... no fanny fanny packs or cammo back packs and most importantly not posing for the camara whilst in the middle of fighting the fish to show "just how long my rod is" nothing but just a small little plastic box in my pocket... While I may not look like a purist.. I released more fish then I could even count during that week... on the water it is not how pretty you look... but how well your equipment works...

Not to argue my point... but that is the only rod I used all week... there are hundreds of more photos from that trip....

Hence the reason my next rod is being built by one of my good friends...

Still waiting there Chris LOL!

Edited by Gerritt

....It's a preference for some to go big and I believed in that as well when I started float fishing 30 years ago. These days I use an 11 1/2 footer and I'm telling you it's plenty. I almost exclusively fish the big flows of Huron and Georgian Bay and I honestly don't feel handicapped by the shorter, lighter and more comfortable rod. Funny when I first got into steelies an 8 to 9 foot fly rod used to bottom drift was considered a long rod, honestly!

My first noodle rod was a Shakesphere 10.6 Intrepid for $49.99. I still use this trusty old rod that has landed many salmon, carp and steelhead over the years. Earlier this week I was using it to zing out cleos.

Whatever rod you use you need to adapt to how it behaves, to its strengths and weaknesses and the conditions you're in. With my 10.6 it does take me longer to land a big fish compared to my 13 footer which has more backbone. I just have to be more patient and not horse the fish in and that is what I mean by adapting to your rod as an example.

And a shorter rod has the advantage when walking through dense brush/shrubs/trees along the rivers. There must be many guys out there who have snapped off the tip in the bushes and car doors rather than on the water.

Don't second guess the decision you've already made. Just go out and enjoy the fishing.

I'll add a something that wasn't mentioned in regards to rod length, but I feel is important. I think we all know, fish can be caught with 'All-around' type gear. However, there are certain applications where a longer rod will improve your odds.

Float fishing in tributaries is an example of an application where a longer rod will help your presentation appear more natural. Let me explain...

When you are float fishing, you typically cast upstream on about a 45 degree angle, and then drift downstream a good distance. The key to catching fish in moving water (when float/drift fishing), is to present your bait as naturally as possible, to make it look like it is just a tasty morsel of food tumbling along bottom with the same speed of the current at depth.

When you use a shorter rod, you are not able to keep the line up off the water between the top of your float and the tip of your rod. As a result, there is DRAG caused by the surface of the water between you and your float (usually slack water or an eddy where the current is moving upstream) and your bait will appear to move slower or faster through the water in an un-natural manner.

With a longer rod, you are able to keep your tip high, and more of your line off the surface of the water, greatly reducing that drag and in turn presenting your bait more naturally.

With that being said, bottom-bouncing, casting spinners or other artificials, or ledger fishing do NOT require long rods as you do not need to be concerned with the drag imposed on your float by the surface of the water.

Sheesh, I'm giving away all my secrets ;)

I think you'll be fine with that rod as a start, but you may decide to go with something a bit longer when you get more experienced. (Or shorter! as the case with some other avid trib fisherman like Spiel, it really comes down to how comfortable you are and what works for you personally)

Tony

With a longer rod, you are able to keep your tip high, and more of your line off the surface of the water, greatly reducing that drag and in turn presenting your bait more naturally.

I think you'll be fine with that rod as a start, but you may decide to go with something a bit longer when you get more experienced. (Or shorter! as the case with some other avid trib fisherman like Spiel, it really comes down to how comfortable you are and what works for you personally)

Tony

You hit it right there Tony. This past spring, when I first started float fishing in the tribs, I needed all the help I could get. A longer rod helped me in drift quality/length and its a little more forgiving if there's a little slack in the line for a hookset. Once I get more comfortable fishing the tribs, and refine my technique, I may very well opt for a shorter rod, but I still have lots to learn.

As for fighting the fish, I didn't notice a lot of difference, but my mentality is, if you cant hook the fish, there's not much of a fight...LOL.

Edited by ccmtcanada

Gerrist I dunno if you can truly say that about a 15' rod and higher catch ratio...I was there that day on the beaver and I remeber doing soem serious damage on the bows with a 15' rod...Way more line control then most guys which means that you keep a straight line between you and the float and you dont ahve an extra 15' of lien out when you go to set the hook

I would hardly say that your tryign to be in a fashion show spending good money for quality gear that isnt made in a sweatshop over in asia

nothign wrong with runnign good equipment...you guys say the same thing about people who bass fish and have 12 different combos on the boat and a garbage bag full of baits?

Nate

nothing wrong with runnign good equipment...

Nate

It's just not for everyone Nate.

10% of fisherman catch 90% of fish, I truly believe that, and I also believe it applies to gear. 10% of anglers will demand only the best, regardless of cost, the rest won't care so much, as long as they can get a combo for under $60.

Tony

Edited by tonyb

First off for the guys who say that we use longer rods and expensive reels and all that bling bling for fashion and show is not true maybe some show off there gear but not all. I said to get a longer rod because its is hard to drift a float with a 6 foot rod or 9 foot and at time even a 13 foot rod when your using a pin. The main purpose it to get a natural drift and on bigger rivers you can get drifts that are 80-100 ft long with a 9 foot rod you will have a hard time controlling the float past 10 ft in the drift honestly. maybe these guys telling you its bling and stuff fish spinners or bottom bounce that’s why they have the ability to use smaller rods or maybe they can really fish a rod that short but your starting off and when float fishing longer rods are need period. Now weather you spend 100 or 1000 on a 13 foot does not mean your going to get more fish. So for theses guys who said its all for fashion I told him to get a longer rod not a more expensive one.

I've been using a 13ft Wild River St Croix for 20 years now. Its a pretty much do all pole for small or larger rivers.As well as keeping the line off the water on a drift the longer poles also offer up the option of running lighter tippets which in some cases will make or break your day.On the 13ft. I can run as light as a 3lb tippet and catch fish over ten pounds with little trouble. I personally won't go any lighter with tippets on the 13ft.,no sence really especially with the flouracarbon these days .Now if you had a 15ft pole you could run lighter than 3lb. tippets if you liked because of the soft action of these long poles.

Anyhow,just my two cents worth...Good Luck !!