Ford F150 Supercrew (nf)

fishnsled

I've come across a good deal on a 2006 Ford F150 Supercrew 4x4. My question is that it only has the 4.6L engine in it. I'm not to familiar with this motor and was wondering what the good the bad and the ugly)if any) would be of this motor. I'm concerned about the horsepower for towing my boat, about 2500lbs loaded. I burned out my old 4.3L on my previous truck, 1991 S10, and don't want to do the same with this one. I've also heard that to replace the motor on the newer Ford trucks it becomes a body off job to get the engine out @ $12,000! :w00t::w00t: I'm usually one for keeping a vehicle so longevity is important. Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks

Fishnsled

I would be a little shy, sometimes it pays to have a slightly larger displacement motor that doesn't have to work as hard and still maintain decent mileage. And yes, I have heard the same story, remove cab to replace engine, but I don't know if it applies to all models.

on the new ones, it's a body off job !!!! ???

That's crazy. Buy an '85

I'm tired of technology. Now you get in and it turns the light, headlights, on dims lights, honks the horn, and heats your seat for you..... Too Much. I can do that.

Man when things go wrong on vehicles now days, it get's way too expensive.

Where's my horse ?

Entropy

the 4.6l motor is the same basic v8 that they've used in the mustangs, trucks and fullsize cars since the end of the 5.0l motor in the early 90's. it's the base v8 in the trucks, it should be strong enough to pull the boat, assuming that its within the towing capacity of the truck.

Ryan

There will be no issue pulling your boat! That little less than 300 cu in engine pulls hard. Transmission also has about 8 gear shifts to it..not just the 4 you see on the dash.

With OD turned off it keeps it in the higher of the gear ranges and does burn about 20% more fuel, but you'll want it there if you're running a hilly road. I found when pulling the boat (17' Glastron 115 Johnson) on the flats you can leave the OD turned on without issue and keep the same fuel burn as if you aren't towing.

Here's an idea what that little V8 can pull without groaning about it....

docksboat.jpg

BTW..the trailer itself weighs in around 3600lbs. 2 - 4' x 16' docks, 1 - 4' x 20' dock and 2 - 4' x 10' ramps...oh yah and a STEEL 16' boat.

Edited by irishfield

I also have the 4.6L Triton v8 in my F150 and that motor is a work horse.. I have easily pulled 2 tons with it without a hiccup. A guy on a job I am working on have the 5.4 and wishes he had the 4.6 just do to gas mileage especially since 99% of the time your not towing.

Gerritt.

The 4.6 is a bullet proof motor.Have no worry.Like Wayne said it will pull almost anything.That motor has been around for a while.I have seen them with well over 500,000km"s on them.And all my years at a Ford Dealer I have yet to see one have to be torn down.or replaced.If it is a good deal jump on it.You wont regret it.