Lake Ontario Report - September 8 2007

SlowPoke

I had been looking forward to this trip for a few weeks because Mike the Pike was going to come down from La Belle Provence. I figured it would be good odds to get a salmon for Team 4 but unfortunaltely Mike succumb to fear... not sure if he was more afraid of the ferocious Lake O fish or being around BITE ME and Percher. LOL! :wub:

Either way I was going to Lake O. The entire fate of Team 4's salmon entry rests on my shoulders. The pressure was enormous but I was up to the task. :blahblah1:

The day didn't start off so well, my wife forgot to set the alarm for 4AM. Fortunately I woke up at 4:20 on my own and began getting my gear together but I didn't have time to hook up the boat before meeting Chris (Muskiestud) at his place for 5:00. I figured since he was just a few blocks away I'd pick him up and come back for the boat. I got to Chris' at 5:00, over to Horton's for our regular coffee & bagal, back to Chris' for shoes, back to my place for the boat and headed over to get gas. We were finally underway about 40 minutes behind schedule. Had we not been running late I would have Chris smoke his stinky cigar outside the truck only because he constantly rags on me for smoking cigerettes. :wacko:

We arrived in Oakville to pick up my Wife's uncle, Claude. My original plan was to fish Bronte but Claude lives in the east end about 5 minutes from Oakville harbour so we decided to launch there. Very nice ramp (Navy St. side) but I didn't know where to park. I ended up parking at the library and bought a couple parking passes.

We trolled out of the harbour marking a few fish but no takers. It was a gorgeous morning on the water with a light breeze, 70* and a 6" chop. Having not seen any recent Oakville harbour reports and absolutely no boats in sight I wasn't sure where to start but decided on trolling with the wind parallel to the 80' contour.

We weren't long getting into fish when the first one went airborn off the rigger down 55' over 85' running a Lyman Rainbow. This one was a real jumper... you always lose count in all the action but probably 5-6 jumps and maybe 6-7 line peels. I thought it must have been a salmon by the struggle it put up because I've never had a Rainbow with that kind of power. It was indeed a Rainbow and my personal best at 34". Very clean fish, not a mark on it - a real beauty!

DSC00918.jpg

About 30 minutes later the ten colour leadcore goes for a rip ??' over 110' running a Flintstone Green Watermelon. Ten colour core usua;;y runs 50' deep but this fish hit after a fairly tight inside turn and probably took it on the flutter down. This guy started out awfully fiesty but was tamed rather quickly by the leadcore. Another clean fish smiles for the camara!

DSC01214.jpg

We had to be patient for our third fish, almost two hours.

DSC00923.jpg

We made some depth adjustments and tracked back over the area the big bow came from and it paid off. It wasn't the big fish of the day or the best fighter but in my opinion it was the best fish of the day. It came at 65' over 85' on the Lyman Rainbow and it was Claud's biggest fish ever! Claude has spared no expense in search of big fish... a beautiful boat, riggers, Alaskan charters and just hasn't been very lucky. I think the smile says it all posing with this chunky 30"er.

DSC01217.jpg

The last fish, a little shaker, came on a Wonderbread dipsy and NK28 Watermelon when we were pulling the lines up for the day. It didn't release but I don't think we were draging too long because it was still alive and released.

Claude wanted to see some lakefront property before heading in. He has a cottage on Simcoe and is looking for renovation ideas. We stumbled across this cozy little gem to which I commented "is this what you were thinking of for the cottage?"

DSC01219.jpg

And another nice place... more along the lines of what Claude is considering. Still a dream home by any standard!

DSC01221.jpg

After wiping the drual from my chin we headed back to the harbour... right in the middle of rush hour! Some horn honking and fingers were exchanged but they cleared out when we started casting muskie lures at them. Just kidding.

DSC01222.jpg

After loading up, Claude treated us to a nice lunch and beverage and we headed home. We didn't get into the motherload of fish but it was probably the best trip of the year for me thus far.

-Brian

Great report Brian! I kept waiting for..."and then this meteor hit my boat", or "went to start the car and fire came out from under the hood"....LOL

Great job out there guys! Anytime spent on the water is awesome...especially in perfect weather...getting 2 PBs on one trip is pure bonus!! Congrats.

Sweeeeet!! That is one nice Bow, Congratulations!! Almost had to reach for the drool cloth lol Thank you for sharing your day and for reminding me just how much I miss steelhead! Congrats to Claude, also a very beautiful fish!

Hey Brian,

You smoke to much :w00t:

Was a awsome day on the water. We went three for three,well 4 for 4 :blush: and saw fish charging our lures from deeper water on the fish finder.....Almost could tell when one of the rods was going to go off.....

Yo Bly,I guess that little baby coho didn't cut it for a WTG bud ??...just kidding !!!

Anyhow,looking forward to our next rip out....Like usual I'll bring the horseshoes :lol:

Cheers !!

Hey Brian,

You smoke to much :w00t:

Was a awsome day on the water. We went three for three,well 4 for 4 :blush: and saw fish charging our lures from deeper water on the fish finder.....Almost could tell when one of the rods was going to go off.....

Yo Bly,I guess that little baby coho didn't cut it for a WTG bud ??...just kidding !!!

Anyhow,looking forward to our next rip out....Like usual I'll bring the horseshoes :lol:

Cheers !!

Doh! Sorry about that Chris!!! WTG Bud!! hehe I am guilty of looking at the fish and not at the angler.....will do better!!!

Great report and pics Brian!!! Congrats to you and Claude on the PBs. Those 2 big fish are Beautiful!... but Chris's fish is the cutest!... is that the one that came on the pink worm??? :w00t:

No pink worms on this trip... those are for special occasions on the end of my rod. We did get two fish on the almighty watermelon spoon tho. I know you want one Glen but those 'lil Alabanana slammers wouldn't be able to get thier adorable little mouths over the hook.

If you can make it up for BOQ you're welcome to ride in my boat to see them in action. Once I get my limit I might even let you try one.

The "Flintstone Magnum - Green Watermelon"

DSC01215.jpg