Sad Sight

huntervasili

Well this is the link to the GRCA website that shows daily water flows... its amazing how low much of the water is and how much the flow has reduced... check out the link.. it shows normal flows and the flows right now... Its gonna hurt the fishery thats forsure, hopefully though too much damage doesn't occur and anglers dont fish for the coldwater species until the water returns to normal

http://www.grandriver.ca/WaterData/images/image023.jpg

Also from teh GRCA website

Anglers asked not to fish for trout in Brant area streams

The Ministry of Natural Resources is asking anglers to voluntarily refrain from fishing for trout in several streams in the Brantford and Burford area. Fish populations, particularly brook and brown trout, are under stress from this summer's low water levels and higher than normal water temperatures. Species such as brook and brown trout need cold, clear water to survive.

Anglers are asked to voluntarily stop fishing on Whiteman Creek west of Brantford, Mount Pleasant Creek south of the city, and upper MacKenzie Creek - upstream of the town of Oakland until conditions improve in these cold water streams.

Water levels on these streams are at or near record low levels. The low water levels combined with elevated in-stream temperatures have put trout populations in some reaches or sections of the streams at risk. It is possible that the low flows and warm temperatures have already resulted in the loss of some fish and the situation could worsen if the hot and dry conditions continue.

The ministry asking anglers to use other water bodies and to fish for species, such as large and smallmouth bass or carp, which are more tolerant of warmer water and reduced flows.

I think this should be accepted by most of us in the vicinity for our local creeks... lets not fish for trout in these little creeks because chances are the fight will kill em...

Well its not just the grand,i just came back from 3 days of fishing on the OTTAWA RIVER,....and its the lowest its ever been in about 40yrs...its unbelievable,and its still dropping as well as lake ontario too its at an extreamly low levels,man its everywhere,and things are just going to get worse,its a sign of the times and our weather patterns are just gonna get worse too...overall its bad for everything from forest fires to insect invasions,to diesease, man have we ever screwed things up..... :dunno:

Good post. People need to be reminded.

Things are getting bad all over on trout streams.

Many streams have high temps. The West Branch Delaware started to have difficulties in May. It has been requested for some streams in Yellowstone Park that there be no day fishing between certain hours - if the desired results are not reached, the park rangers will start closing the streams. In Alberta, TU is asking that fishers stop fishing before the temp reaches 73.5F. Strange number to use when this 73.5F number is above the danger point for trout. If anything, the start of the danger point in temp is 72 degrees F.

http://www.fudr.org/may07%20emergency.htm

On the upper Grand according to Grand River Troutfitter (GRTF) , the water temps (GRTF report of Sep 4/7) in the 3 sections are 70F, 70F and 72F (in the lower section). But they were a lot higher not too many days ago. GRTF suggest that the lower section of the UG is fished only in the early morning. On Sep 6 & 7 I checked the GRTF site for their report and I think that fishing the lower section is now OK even though the temp was still 72F.

http://www.grandrivertroutfitters.com/Rive...geriverinfo.htm

- Click on “Conditions”.

On July 19 according to Hook, Line and Sinker, the temps in the 3 sections on the Upper Grand were 71F, 73F and not fishable in the lower section.

I have been waiting close to 90 days to fly fish the UG, UC or Whiteman's Creek. I have not because of high water temps. My so-called start of the danger point in temp for trout was 68 degrees F.

Until this year, I would not fish when the temp was higher than 68F. This year I went up to 70F otherwise I would never be able to fly fish if I kept my danger temp point at 68F. But this summer, the temp has been at or above 70F most of the summer or I was not able to go fishing.

Normally, the accepted danger temp is 72 degrees F.

People fishing for brook trout should not fish if the water temp is above 68F. They need the colder water to survive. In tiny creeks, there should be no fishing because the water is too warm even in deeper pools. If there is an under ground spring, then perhaps the temp in that pool might be OK. Sticking a finger in the water is not good enough. But not many people go fishing with a thermometer in their vest.

Try to use single barbless hooks even if the temp is OK. Also carry a thermometer – I always carry one in my vest.

There is another thing fishers should be aware of. Many fishers will not fish when the temp is at or above the danger temp. Fishers will wait until it is cooler later in the day and as soon as the temp goes down one degree F into the acceptable temp range, they will fish.

Fish in such situations will still feel as bad at 1 degree F below the danger temp as they were feeling at or above the danger temp. THEY NEED TIME TO RE-ADJUST FROM THE HIGH TEMPS. Probably 10 hours over night might allow the trout to re-adjust. So fish early in the morning if the temp is low enough. Just like humans, fish need a period of time to re-adjust at a cooler temp to feel normal.

GRCA is not suggesting that we not fish all waters where the water levels are low and the temps are high. They would like us to not fish the waters that hold trout. It is not the low levels of water that is causing problems – it is the high temps of the water. Low levels of water simply warm up faster and remain at high dangerous temps for long periods of time. The upper Grand below the damn is shallow in most places. But it is OK because the water temp is cool. This is because of the water released from Belwood Lake. The water released from Belwood is cool because it comes from the bottom of the lake where it is the “coldest”.

Trout are happy even in low water levels as long as certain criteria are met – cool water, flowing water, oxygenated water, good protection and a good supply of food.

If the water temps remain high most of the year and year after year, the MNR will have to have certain C & R areas open to fishing all year. I see no problems. My 2 most favourite streams are the West Branch Ausable (near Wilmington, N.Y.) and North Branch Saranac (up stream from Clayburg, N.Y.) are open all year and there are no negative effects – in fact the fishing is getting better and better. These 2 streams are C & R, no bait streams. BUT TRY TELLING THE POWERS TO BE IN ONTARIO OF THESE FACTS. They probably would need 10 years to study the matter first. Having October and November open to C & R trout fishing areas would allow fishers for some trout fishing time – one would hope.

No one in Ontario has the guts to do anything positive. If positive means closing down a stream, “CLOSE IT” until the temps go down. Who would complain? Most fly fishermen would not. Most spin fishermen also would not. And I think that baitcasters would not fish Whiteman’s Creek. So, the only people left are the poachers.

In the mean time, for the last 3-4 weeks (on and off), I have been pinching the barb on my fly hooks to make them LEGALLY BARBLESS. Just over 3,500 fly hooks to go.

Bill Parker, just like you, I am also doing a lot of hoping however, I have started to think about next year. My prediction for the UG is that the hatch will be in high gear starting on May 12 or 13 or 14 (2008).

I am not telling anyone what to do. I have simply stated what I believe in and what I do and it is only my opinioin.

carp-starter

Carp-Starter I think you got it right down to the button...I as well would enjoy a year round C&R season and am hoping that whatever changes need to be made are... Sometimes the MNR just has to get the balls to close the season especially during critical times...as ethical fishermen most of us believe this should be done and so we dont fish the rivers but its the undereducated and the ignorant who need that reminder or push to get off the little delicate creeks we enjoy fishing so much... I will still be hoping for higher water levels and cooler temps.

Bill