Fraser River MONSTERS - Part two

scuro

part 1 to be found here-> http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10822

--------------

--------------

As mentioned before on day two Simon bested Moosebunk. What I didn't know until recently was that this would end up being Simon's personal best fish for the trip.

FRFLAugust272007086-1.jpg

This one came in at a whopping 81 inches long.

FRFLAugust272007116.jpg

They actually lifted it out of the water.

FRFLAugust272007120-1.jpg

Simon had also began to perfect taking breaching shots with his camera. Here is a pic of Dean's Sturgeon.

On day three the crew of Simon, Dean, and Diane slaughtered them again. Coming home from the Pitt river we learned that the rest of the crew had the best overall day on the water of what would be our combined 6 full days of Sturgeon fishing. Bunk's and even Simon's best fish of the week would fall to Diane. Not only did they catch huge fish they also lost some beauts that are undoubtedly seared into their memories now. These are the type of fish that gets an angler craving more of a species. In Simon's case he hooked into a Sturgeon that was estimated to be over 8 ft long. Upon the hookset it bolted straight out to the horizon. It took line until the 130 pound test broke. Simon nicknamed this fish "freight train". Dean also hooked into a very large fish that got away. He battled it all the way back from it's initial run where upon seeing the boat the Sturgeon breached the water, gave a violent head shake and dislodged itself from the hook. In that regard the Sturgeon have an advantage. The hooks are weighted to the bottom of the river with 12 ounce weights. When they do breach and shake their heads the weight swings from side to side with a lot of force that can easily dislodge the single barbless hook.

As luck would have it, Diane would end up catching the largest fish. She had already been tuckered out earlier in the day by a previous 4 plus footer and then her turn in the rotation came up again. Knowing Diane I'm sure upon the hookset she pleaded to her maker, don't let this be a big fish...but that outcome was not in the plans. She hooked into a 7 and half footer estimated to be just shy of 300 pounds.

FRFLAugust272007152-1.jpg

The monster tries to shake free

Diane said that this powerhouse brute disheartened her because she thought the fight was all over when she hopped off the boat with rod in hand to get on shore to land it. But, as it neared shore this Sturgeon knew danger lurked and promptly did another terrific run. I can imagine it now, she had given it everything to get it close to shore and then this crusher shows her another gear. The battle would last 40 minutes, which was typical for the larger fish. Landing the fish was no easy task either. Simon said that he was given the task of holding the tail with rope once the guide had control of the fish to unhook it. Once unhooked this Sturgeon gave several last thrashes of it's tail and Simon had to hold on... or forever be the one who let HER FISH get away. As described by Simon it shook it's tail and soaked everyone nearby as he got jerked from side to side.

FRFLAugust272007156.jpg

What a monster

Diane had many bruises on her body from that battle that coloured into to deep rich hues a few days later. She would display none of them. :angel: She did have an interesting oval and symmetrical starburst bruise that was visible on her arm which she couldn't explain. She had initially thought the pattern was caused by someone grabbing her during the fight yet there were at least a 1/2 dozen dots that radiated perfectly from the center.

FRFLAugust272007175-1.jpg

Dean would close out day three with his personal best of 76 inches.

That evening after another great dinner I decided to take a walk down the rivers edge and walk off some of this excess weight that I was already gaining. The hills had a particular enchanting glow that evening.

IMGP0641.jpg

looking up the Fraser river from near the lodge

IMGP0645.jpg

looking downriver

Day 4 was a Southern Ontario type of day. We didn't start the morning with the normal nip in the air. A warm muggy day soon descended upon us. It had been determined that I would get the second go for Sturgeon that morning and I was mentally ready for it. I had new strategies in mind for battling Sturgeon. This time I'd use more of my body for the fight and try to use less arm power. I could do it...I think I can...I think I can. Our last day would be for salmon fishing now that they had lifted the salmon ban so we all wondered if Diane's lunker would stand as the best fish for the week. This was the last shot at a mammoth and we were all drooling. Diane had nothing to fear. I never even got that last chance to hold the rod seeing that we only landed one smaller fish in the morning. Was it the weather? ...or perhaps the extensive pressure put on the sturgeon since every boat on the river fished them this last week with no salmon to catch? A cold front moved in that night and things would be different the following day.

IMGP0656.jpg

It got very warm on Day 4.

Our last day was the first time that we would all fish together. Most of us only knew one or two people in the crew before we met. I knew only Drew. As crews go I'd have to say that this group worked like a well oil machine. There was absolutely no bickering, squabbling, hurt feelings etc.... in fact there was genuine interest and concern shown by all for the others in our group. I'd fish with any of them again given the opportunity.

IMGP0627.jpg

From L to R - Simon, Dean, myself, Drew, Hoss, Diane, and Scott.

On the last day we were going bar fishing and in Scotty dog's case that was a pretty good literal description. The cooler was full. Basically with bar fishing you find a bar, which in our case was long line of sandy beach along a stretch of current on the river. Long baitcasting rods are placed into holders and once again led weights are used to put the lure near bottom. A large glorified plastic spinner then sits in a stationary position a few inches off bottom spun by the current of the river. When a fish is on basically you would lift your rod up out of the holder and run like a fool up the beach until you met resistance. Then you would have to turn around do the hookset and then play the fish. This was actually very comical to watch because most of us hadn't sprinted in decades and a number of us wiped out on the dead run.

IMGP0671.jpg

our bar fishing set up

Originally we had all planned to stay by "our" rods and play only the fish that went off on our line. The first rods in the line went off a lot more frequently then the other rods. My rod went off first and I was quickly limited out, you can only keep one. I went off in search of humpies. Funny thing was that I could see their wake as they crossed the shallow water. I tried many times to unsuccessfully to drop the lure a little in front of them and intersect them as they moved forward. What worked was reading the water. They were fighting current the whole way so I looked for the slackest current area and simply did a slow wobble across this area, that worked and I caught a dozen or so Humpies. This is a lot fun since they do put up a pretty good fight.

IMGP0684.jpg

Male humpie

IMGP0688.jpg

Female

While I fished the others also limited out.

IMGP0680.jpg

Dean with a boatchaser

FRFLAugust312007017.jpg

Moosebunk giving er

FRFLAugust312007004.jpg

Nice fish Bunkster

FRFLAugust312007012.jpg

Hoss proud

FRFLAugust312007049.jpg

Diane had troubles keeping her rod up. Perhaps her arms were burned out from the day before. She landed that fish!

FRFLAugust312007016.jpg

The final gathering place

It started to drizzle and the wind picked up in the later afternoon. We all gathered under the tent and drank beer and chatted idly. Only Scotty had yet to catch a fish. It really didn't look like he would catch one since we only had a half hour before we had to leave....and then just as everyone was laughing at some joke and no one was paying attention to the rods, the guide yelled out, FISH ON. That didn't register with Scotty right away so we started yelling. YOUR ROD...RUN...GET YOUR ROD. Scotty cocked his head like a deer in the headlights and quickly sprinted towards the rod. We all stood up and yelled like he was rushing down the field for a touch down. I swear if I had been able, I would have done cartwheels at that time. He grabbed that rod, ran straight, back, did a fine hookset, played the fish beautifully to shore...and then promptly fell on his ass. I looked in horror as I saw the hook pop out of the salmon's mouth with the slack line. It began to attempt to swim away. A guide ran over and swatted at the fish with a net and missed. It was getting away and more swats ensued until he finally netted it. :clapping: Wish there was video of that whole scene. What a perfect ending to a trip.

IMGP0696.jpg

About time Scotty!

We stayed at the Fraser River lodge http://www.fraserriverlodge.com/english/

Edited by scuro

A good section of part two was told to me second hand and in parts I took the liberty to fill in the dots to make a better story. I hope that I got it right in the spirit of what happened and also in the details.

Edited by scuro

Damn, I didn't think you could out do the first part but those breaching shots are just amazing. I thought seeing a muskie jump was something but thats just incredible. Trip of a lifetime in my books for sure. Thanks for all the wonderful details.

"Holy Crap!" That's exactly what I thought when I saw those breaching pics....

Like everyone else, after reading both parts, I'm left without a a lot to say...

wow...

oh, man...

wow....

holy crap...

gotta fish there....

Thanks for a couple of amazing reports!

dk

Excellent post Chris!

Definitely was a pleasure to fish with you. Thanks for all the help with the bar fishing............ Still say that rod was taller than me along with that being my first time using such a reel. And yes I admit I was still very stiff from the other day. :blush:

I think the bruising is finally starting to lighten up.. But with all that said I have never felt the rush I had when I was tangling with that bruiser! Dean was a help making sure I stayed inside the boat when it decided to peel out for the millionth time and the other major part.... BREATHE!!!

I was on pins and needles on the way back to the lodge after our day out at the Pitt while you guys were out fighting the sturgeon. I wanted you all to have the fun of tangling with one that size............but in the back of my mind I was also hoping to beat you guys with the biggest :whistling:

Hopefully there will another chance to head back when all the species will be open and better opportunity.

Thanks again

Excellent post Chris!

Definitely was a pleasure to fish with you. Thanks for all the help with the bar fishing............ Still say that rod was taller than me along with that being my first time using such a reel. And yes I admit I was still very stiff from the other day. :blush:

I think the bruising is finally starting to lighten up.. But with all that said I have never felt the rush I had when I was tangling with that bruiser! Dean was a help making sure I stayed inside the boat when it decided to peel out for the millionth time and the other major part.... BREATHE!!!

I was on pins and needles on the way back to the lodge after our day out at the Pitt while you guys were out fighting the sturgeon. I wanted you all to have the fun of tangling with one that size............but in the back of my mind I was also hoping to beat you guys with the biggest :whistling:

Hopefully there will another chance to head back when all the species will be open and better opportunity.

Thanks again

I guess you can literally call your fish a bruiser :D. I know what you mean about getting a rush and for me it was sometimes even before I was fighting the fish. When my turn was up my adrenaline would sometimes start pumping when the rod started bouncing. Sometimes there would be no Sturgeon and it would be a squaw fish or the lead rolling but my heart was in my mouth often anticipating what could possibly come. I can only equate fishing sturgeon to getting into a fight. One moment things are normal in the world and the next moment you are in a physical drag down fight in which your heart is racing and you can feel the blood pumping in your head.

Good on ya that you caught the biggest one, I can only imagine what that would have been like. I never saw a fish caught larger then 6 ft. We briefly talked about the possibility of being beat by a girl before we went fishing on that last day. It was funny, first someone said that would suck but then someone piped in that you earned it and we all got contemplativly silent and then agreed in reverent tones. When you can get a group of guys to be quiet and think about your fish you have really accomplished something. :clapping:

"Getting lifted off of your feet"...I heard about that from Dean and was hesitant to put it in the story because it didn't really sound plausible. Yet after looking at Simon's series of pics of the battle more closely tonight I see that your hat has come off and that both Dean and the guide are hovering around you. This pic looks like a romantic snapshot of a couple looking out on the water. You are wedged in-between Dean's legs and he has his arms around you. Really what he is doing is anchoring you to the boat! Tell me more, I didn't hear this part of the story!

FRFLAugust272007153.jpg

Edited by scuro