5 days at Fushimi - My Journal....

dustink

I keep a journal of all my trips, so this is my journal entries from my trip to Fushimi Lake Park. It's a great park, and the staff there is amazing!

I abbreviate the names to make it a bit easier writing, and since it's my journal, I know who I'm talking about. But for you all:

JN = John N. - Long time fishing buddy and been with me on every trip North for the last 7 years.

JH = Jon H - Good friend and this is his first fishing trip.

AO = Andy O. - A friend of JN's and a guy that loves to fish; His first trip North.

So, on to the journal.....

--------------------------

We left JN's at 10:00 PM. It took a while to figure out how to get all the stuff into the boat / truck. JN got us all these nice 3-in-1 jackets from his work, and had them embroidered….good to know a guy with connections. It was raining when we left and rained most of the way to the Soo, so the jacket may come in handy.

P8300001.jpg

After a quick stop in Wawa to see the Goose – AO & JN have never been to Canada – we drove on to Hornepayne. I drove from the Soo to there and thank God for XM radio to help keep me awake while the rest of the crew slept. We got to Hornepayne about 8:30 and had breakfast. After a bit of trouble tracking down where to get a license (the general store was out) we were on the way to Fushimi Lake Provincial Park.

Once there, they had everything ready. David had the boat at the dock and even cut some wood for us on the island…these guys are great! We loaded the boats down and headed to the camp site. They really made some changes to the site from last year, and it looks really good. Once we got everything set we headed to Lilly pad bay for some pike.

P8250008_edited-1.jpg

P8280045_edited-1.jpg

JH had never fished for pike, and really had a good time. We caught plenty of fish and made a great supper over the fire, in the cool darkness. It's good to be back up here. I think I've had a smile on my face for the last 24 hours straight.

P8250009_edited-1.jpg

JH's first pike

-----------------------------

Full day #1. JH & I were in "Rental Boat #2" as we affectionately called it…and it really was a nice new boat. We didn't launch until after 8:00 AM…we were all pretty tired from the long drive. We hit a point for some walleye, and JH got is first in short time. JH & AO are much more interested in pike, and head off to the far end of the lake. We join them a couple of hours later, and the pike fishing is really good. Nothing huge, but lots of keepers in the 22"-26" range. We have a great lunch and move out for more pike. 28" pike hitting right at the boat is always a fun.

P8250015_edited-1.jpg

JH's fist walleye

We have a great supper (I love cooking over the fire) and have a great talk around the fire about guy stuff….both serious and not so serious. The whiskey is pretty good too. This is a great trip already and the two new guys are fitting in great, and really having a good time.

P8260021_edited-1.jpg

--------------------------------------

We woke up to rain. JH & I decided to get geared up and head out for some 'eyes. JH walks down to the water and says, "Hey, a boat is missing!" After repeating several times to convince us and him, we head down there. JN's boat somehow came unhooked, floated around the rental boat and was pinned up against the shore some 60 yards away. It was a bit cold and involved JN in the water in his boxers and muck boots, we got the boat back. JH & I didn't have a whole lot of luck with 'eyes (the wind made being out there really tough) and we headed back for breakfast and to wake up the other two. After eating, AO & I went out, and the wind really had picked up. Controlling the boat was a challenge, but we did manage a lot of smaller pike, and I boated one nice chunky 25" fish.

P8280055_edited-1.jpg

P8250010_edited-1.jpg

After lunch, we all took a great nap!!! We headed back out at 3:00 and caught some more walleye and then hit the pike. The weather that moved through seemed to turn off all but the hammer handles. AO did land a nice 26". Tonight was a good night around the fire watching the distant lightening and listening to the thunder and the loons. We hit the tents as a light rain started to fall. What a great night in the GWN, and the more I'm up there, the more refreshed my soul feels.

P8260025_edited-1.jpg

P8260027_edited-1.jpg

------------------------------------

More morning rain, and today the sky hung low all day. JN & I got out in his boat today, and right away got into a lot of 22" – 28" pike. The change in weather seems to make the fish strike short and we're getting a lot of follows to the boat.

P8280006_edited-1.jpg

P8270038_edited-1.jpg

Back for a late breakfast. We made garbage in the large skillet. Garbage is made of fried potatoes, onions, sausage, 6 scrambled eggs, all served in a bowl and covered with sausage gravy. Mmm, mmm, good!

P8270043_edited-1.jpg

Back for more fishing, and some more good fish. AO boated a nice 31" fish, and it's amazing to see how the fish fatten up compared to a fish like that caught here in May.

P8280051_edited-1.jpg

P8260023_edited-1.jpg

We decided to head home Wednesday morning and forego the last ½ day of fishing…something about JN needing to get home for his wedding anniversary, so we prepared to break camp the next morning.

P8280002_edited-1.jpg

We ended our last night in camp by eating more fish, and some 8-oz. filets, and fishing off the whiskey.

P8280011_edited-1.jpg

----------------------------------

No rain for breaking camp, which is always good. Because of all the prep we did last night, it only took about an hour to be loaded up and heading on our way to the launch. The fog was thick as we headed across the lake, but began to burn off and showed another promising day.

Getting JN's boat on the trailer became a bit of a challenge, and it ended with me in the water up to my chest. After loading everything up, we hit the showers for some serious cleaning. One last picture at the lake and we were on our way.

P8280014_edited-1.jpg

P8270036_edited-1.jpg

P8280013_edited-1.jpg

We stopped for breakfast at 4-Stevens in Hornepayne (same place as on Saturday). AO & JH had never been down HWY 17 from Wawa to the Soo, so it was nice to drive it in the day so they could see the beauty. We stopped at Old Woman Bay for some pictures, rock skipping, and letting the guys touch superior for the first time. Pretty uneventful from there. We stopped in Gaylord, MI for dinner and got back to Fort Wayne about Midnight.

P8290017_edited-1.jpg

P8290019_edited-1.jpg

P8290018_edited-1.jpg

P8290021_edited-1.jpg

It was a great trip, and we all had a great time. I miss being there already, and can't wait to sit on the rock at camp, have a drink, and listen to the loons chatter. Something about that country just makes me SO alive.

Come on 2008……

P8260026_edited-1.jpg

P8250016_edited-1.jpg

P8250014_edited-1.jpg

Great report Dustin :thumbsup_anim:

I see someone in your group has the same bunk roll as I do, price is right but not comfortable.

Great pics man and I'm glad you and your buds had a great time. Friends, a good feed, campfire and a cold one in hand you can't beat. Time well spent, only thing is these trips do not last long enough.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience!

Whopper

Ahhhh! I've been waiting for this one.

What a great report and awesome pictures. Really captures the flavour of the trip.

Great idea about the Journal. I should have been doing that years ago.

You're getting me all pumped! 19 days to go until the FishGuts Fall Classic, 12 guys (including my brother and my two sons). Fishing, music and a little "Memquisit Tea"!

"The FishGuts Fall Classic is just days away, it's a Fisherman's Christmas again!!

Fisherman's Christmas

But first, my trip home from out west with my brother where hopefully, I will get a chance to rendezvous with DustinK. Hope it works out buddy.

Edited by BPSBASSMAN