Winterizing Boat

Dondorfish

Just wondering what I will be looking at to winterize the inboard/outboard motor on my boat. I have always had outboards before, and did the winterizing myself - but now with the I/O motor I think I would like to take it in , at least for the first year. Any ideas on the costs?

Guess I should add that it is a 4.3 OMC

Don

Edited by Tracker

its still august...don't get me thinking of such frighteniing topics

Ya Don its way too early to be talkin Winterization.Sheesh you are supposed to take me and Percher out in Quinte if it gets too cold in my tiller boat in November :P

By the way where is all the fishin reports from the new boat did you get rid of the tracker?

Ok lets get back to summer :canadian::rolleyes:

Hey Mike - Still got the Tracker in Niagara and the new boat in Peterborough. Had a few problems with the new boat and its been a real hecktic summer. Fishing time has been way down this summer - but it should start picking up!

I know its WAY to early to be thinking about putting the boat to bed yet - just curious on the cost ( plan ahead ).

Don't worry - i'll be in Quinte in the fall - every weekend if I can find a boat slip - got any suggestions as to a marina? I would like to take the Islander down to Quinte in mid October and leave it there till early December - if I can find a slip.

Don

Don to answer your question about cost for winterizing, here locally (Southwestern Ohio) it cost anywhere from $85 to $150, and for that you get the engine fogged, block drained, oil changed and outdrive fluid replaced. I do my own cause I like to tinker with it and besides my time it probably cost me $35.00.

Cheers

Whopper

Don to answer your question about cost for winterizing, here locally (Southwestern Ohio) it cost anywhere from $85 to $150, and for that you get the engine fogged, block drained, oil changed and outdrive fluid replaced. I do my own cause I like to tinker with it and besides my time it probably cost me $35.00.

Cheers

Whopper

Untill selling my I/O this spring I ditto Whopper's comments above.

Its not hard to do,

Run some Stabil in it for the last run on the lake,

Fill it right to brim with gas.

Change the drive oil.

Unhook the water hose from the intake on the block and pour antifreeze in.

You should also change your engine oil at this time and check your belts.

Some prefer to change the water impellor at this time, I like to do it in the spring when I springerize it. :)

I also fog the motor, but thats really up to you many people don't bother.

Remove the batteries and yor pretty much good to go.

Make sure you leave the drain plug out and the boat tilted back with the drive lowered(don't leave it up for extended periods it causes undue strain on the belows, throw some moth balls in the bilge and in the boat to keep mice and the like away as well.

As an extra you should pull the drive off and check the Bellows while your doing the gear oil replacement and the water pump to make sure none are cracked or weathered but most people don't. I do though.

But yah man your way to early.

Boat places usually charge in the 100 dollar range to winterize and I doubt very much they do everything I have mentioned.

I am sure most just pour some stabil in, fog it, disconnect the batteries and maybe change the drive oil.

Buy the OMC engine guide it will have all the stuff you need to do for winter storage. Worth the money and do it yourself.

Part II fishing season is just starting. If its like last year I am not going to winterize my boat untilI see snow.. put mine away last year mid november but the ice did not come till Feb

All thoese days haveing talk to the wife when I could have been fishing :(

If you want to get it done in the county

Thunder.................613-476-5225

Rand's mobile marine........613-476-1906

Jed , you forgot to drain the block before pouring in the antifreeze, I mention this because a guy up the road did his last year by pulling the antifreeze in by running the motor put didn't drain the block first. It didn't clear all the water and he had problems.