Boat pics...

Gerritt

Ok I might be driving you guys nuts with the pics... but I have been getting some PM's offering some useful criticism. Some of which changed my mind and helped me make final decisions! Thanks guys! you know who you are!

Ok... Here is the progress on the front casting area thus far...

DSC02056.jpg

DSC02060.jpg

DSC02058.jpg

DSC02059.jpg

DSC02057.jpg

I know I went a little oversized on the Aluminium... but in total that aluminium weighs less then 13 pounds... and I would rather go over kill the not have enough strength! I will be putting in the floor sometime this week (as time permits).

I thank everyone for their input and suggestions. 1000 pairs of eyes are better then one as they say!

Thanks again folks.. I will be sure to include a couple of pics with the carpet and pedestal seat installed...

I think Big Cliff said it... Half the fun is rigging it up! and man is that the truth!

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Gerritt.

wicked nice there gerrit,

that'll give me some idea on how to make a floor in my boat.. i was really wondering how to do it, then i saw a few photos online but those guys used wood and just shaped it like the hull of the boat for the supports then stuck the plywood on top..

this aluminum is a way better idea.. geez, why couldn't i think of that...

now when i finally get the time this weekend, i have to find all your posts to help me on my way!

great stuff

kevin

Edited by kevin

Hi Kevin!... well I was thinking wood as well at the beginning standing it on edge... But then I was worried about the wood constantly rubbing against the aluminium.. I started thinking about it and figured this would be the best bet... both for the boat and in terms of weight.... Mind you with was not exactly cheap... but well worth it in my opinion... about 90.00.. but knowing will not have to worry about boat wear or rot or added weight.. well worth the extra pennies in my mind.. I could have gotten away with a lower gauge Aluminium but I figured I only want to do this once...Besides it is an almost 4' span between the seats and I wanted to minimize deflection.

The stuff I used is 2x2 if that is of any help to you...

Also I can get you my rates (contractor) from the place I bought is from if your interested.. I will just place the order for you and you pick it up and pay for it.

Hope this helps!

DanC the CG could learn a few things from us... LOL!

Thanks guys,

Gerritt.

i may request that nice offer there gerrit..

but looks like my front and middle seat is a bit higher off the ground then your's.. i will have to think about how i will fix that part..

but all in a weeks time.. right now i got quite a work ahead..

once again gerrit, looking great!

kevin

Looking good bud.Make sure you use aluminium rivets and you should be set.

Joe

I used stainless screws... and added a bit of marine Silicone to ensure they wont vibrate out... I think I will be more then ok in this regards??? or am I incorrect?

G.

Hey bud stainless screws are not ok. They will cause a chemical reaction when mixed with aluminum. Use large aluminum rivets and then spray the underneath with a can of high quality spray foam to insure the area doesnt vibrate loose. I would use a high quality pl glue to bond the aluminum before riveting. Those screws will rot the aluminum in less than a year under your conditions.

Hey bud stainless screws are not ok. They will cause a chemical reaction when mixed with aluminum. Use large aluminum rivets and then spray the underneath with a can of high quality spray foam to insure the area doesnt vibrate loose. I would use a high quality pl glue to bond the aluminum before riveting. Those screws will rot the aluminum in less than a year under your conditions.

No offense... but...

Why is it Lund uses stainless steel screws then??

Gerritt.

Looking great Gerritt! It's going to be one SWEEET boat once you get it all done. It's a great project you are working on...and very fulfilling I imagine once you start catching fish in it. Cant wait to see it all done...and the before/after pics.

Looking great Gerritt! It's going to be one SWEEET boat once you get it all done. It's a great project you are working on...and very fulfilling I imagine once you start catching fish in it. Cant wait to see it all done...and the before/after pics.

Cliff I hope to have you and Carole on board for her maiden voyage... (once she is complete) I could not think of two better people to fish with... my wife and son excluded of course!

Gerritt.

Cliff I hope to have you and Carole on board for her maiden voyage... (once she is complete) I could not think of two better people to fish with... my wife and son excluded of course!

Gerritt.

Wow...we'd be honoured Gerritt!! Just let us know when and where and you can bet we'll be there with the coffee and lunch/snacks.

No offense... but...

Why is it Lund uses stainless steel screws then??

Gerritt.

I was curious about this so I had a look on wikipedia.

Here's what I found on galvanic corrosion:

Galvanic corrosion occurs when a galvanic cell is formed between two dissimilar metals. The resulting electrochemical potential then leads to formation of an electric current that leads to electrolytic dissolving of the less noble material. This effect can be prevented by electrical insulation of the materials, e.g. by using rubber or plastic sleeves or washers, keeping the parts dry so there is no electrolyte to form the cell, or keeping the size of the less-noble material significantly larger than the more noble ones (e.g. stainless-steel bolts in an aluminum block won't cause corrosion, but aluminum rivets on stainless steel sheet would rapidly corrode).

It sounds to me like you shouldn't have a problem. ;)

In Arts big aluminium boat they warn you about haveing any steel nuts or bolts in the bilge.It may not be a problem with a boat that doesn't live in the water.He has 3 or 4 big honkin sacrificial anodes to battle galvonic reactions.All if the stainless brightwork is protected by rubber gaskets.Thats all I know about that!.Cant wait to see the rig next year.

Joe

In my business we aree not allowed to use them where any water or moisture will be occuring. The boat will get hot and cold causing condensation problems. I have a aluminum the same as the lund and have problems allready. Why is it the screws will work their way outof your lund after time. It happens in the aluminum trailers as well as campers. You can buy a very expensive glue to provide a suitable seal. That would defeat the purpose of doing it. Just use cheap rivets that I'm sure are cheaper than glue. If you use rubber washers it will cause a cusion between the two aluminums which over time will work the hole larger. Just use rivets and pl glue and it should never come lose.