Deep cycle battery

supernaut

I've always used regular tap water but you can boil the water first if it makes you feel better. Let it cool before putting it in the battery.

Why would you want to boil the water? I think that would be even worse than using water straight out of the tap because it would increase the mineral concentration due to water lost through evaporation.

distilled water , with 2ml,of bleach diluted for every 100ml in your Distilled water[bottled steam] pre-mix a bottle and keep it in the shop..my batteries are 10 & 9 years old and still work like new.

I read that in an old issue of In Fisherman Mag. alot of people here do it , works for me.

demineralized & distilled are pretty well the same thing.. just the process of getting to the end is different

demineralized usually passes though a set reverse osmosis filters to extract the minerals, while

with distilled, there is a evaporation / condensation process. actually to be precise, distilling is just one method

of demineralization.

whether to use tap or demineralized is also debatable and somewhat of a judgement call... in the "good' old days,

evaporation cycles in lead acid batteries were more severe and thus the buildup of minerals on the battery plates

was more significant...under normal charge cycles with newer batteries, the mineral deposit becomes less significant

and the battery life is limited by other factors.

kinda agree with johnbacon that boiling the water will just increase the mineral concentration.

interesting about the chlorine... never heard of that before... what does this achieve ??

.... nomad ......

Why would you want to boil the water? I think that would be even worse than using water straight out of the tap because it would increase the mineral concentration due to water lost through evaporation.

You are incorrect. Boiling reduces temporary hardness (hardness caused by bicarbonate ions). Roy was suggesting this to reduce the salt content of the water. Deionized, distilled, or reverse osmosis water is preferred however.

Burt :)

You are incorrect. Boiling reduces temporary hardness (hardness caused by bicarbonate ions). Roy was suggesting this to reduce the salt content of the water. Deionized, distilled, or reverse osmosis water is preferred however.

Burt :)

Boiling the water to reduce temporary hardness will only work if you remove the precipitate that forms when it is boiled (preferably before it has cooled). Even than, impurities other than calcium carbonate will have increased in concentration.

Ya. Roy, what would boiling water do? I think you do that if you want to drink it, not put it in your batteries.

As for adding bleach, wouldn't that tend to neutralize the acid electrolyte necessary for the battery to work?

I would stick with the distilled water, no worries.

Distilled water is captured steam. The steam is 100 percent pure H20.

The junk left behind is all the calcium, salts etc...

If you put boiled water in it all you have done is further concentrate the minerals.

If your boiling your water your better off just dumping pure tap water in it.

RO is Reverse Osmosis.

I used to use that for my fish tank,

RO is water that is forced through a filter at high preasure. This will also remove most of the junk similar to distilled but RO is not as clean as Distilled.

Many people in the fish tank world consider RO as good as DI(Distilled).

SOme of the more fanatical will use Distilled water and put it through an RO filter before filling there tanks with water.

This is only common ammong saltwater fish folks. They then add minerals, salt etc....